Identifying compatible processors

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Identifying compatible processors

Post by neocontra on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:34 pm
([msg=22483]see Identifying compatible processors[/msg])

I have a Dell Inspiron B130, and I'm looking to upgrade the processor.

Before anyone says it, I have already bought a new laptop, but my new one runs Windows, and I'd like to upgrade my older Linux machine a little more. I already have 2GB of RAM installed, and now I'd like to upgrade the processor.

I know I can go to Intel's site and get information about what chipset I have, but taking apart a laptop while it's running is not exactly a good idea.

I have a Pentium M Dothan, 745A, 1.8, TJ85C (quoted directly from Dell's website). I can't find any information on the actually mobo that comes stock on Dell's website, so if anyone has any ideas of what I can do to find my chipset, or if you know what processors will be a good compatible upgrade for this, please post it here.

(Also, if you could post relevant links to sites that could offer information concerning upgrading processors here, I think that many people will appreciate it.)
neocontra
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Identifying compatible processors

Post by mischief on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:03 pm
([msg=22487]see Re: Identifying compatible processors[/msg])

you can use CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) to identify your current processor, motherboard, BIOS revision, among other things.
what you want to look at is the socket that your cpu uses, or rather the socket that is on your motherboard, and find another process with the same socket. you will also want to check the motherboard manufacturer's site for any specific details (such as if a certain process that uses the socket is not compatible with your motherboard).
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by neocontra on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:07 pm
([msg=22490]see Re: Identifying compatible processors[/msg])

Thanks, but like I said, I need the specs for a Linux machine, so that program won't work.

Also, I already tried researching the motherboard at both Dell and Intel, and I can't find anything on it.
neocontra
New User
New User

Post by mischief on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:25 pm
([msg=22491]see Re: Identifying compatible processors[/msg])

oh! in that case it's a little simpler for getting cpu specs..just do this on a terminal:

Code: Select all
cat /proc/cpuinfo

or

Code: Select all
dmesg | grep -i CPU

as for the socket, you can probably infer that from whatever the above commands show you.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Return to Hardware