Distributions

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Re: Distributions

Post by terminus on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:55 pm
([msg=611]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

Wyrmkill wrote:
Why do you need an opinion of your own, when I'm always right and you can just agree with me :D

Well Wyrmkill,

I don't agree with you. For starters Slackware does have a pkg-mgt system it just sucks and no one uses it. Slackware relies on the existence of Patrick and he's in the hospital half the time - I'm worried for his health. I love Slackware's philosophy but they won't make it as an enterprise linux distribution for several reasons including a lack of pay for support availability. Slackware as a company sucks fyi. I had a subscription with Slackware to have them mail me CDs whenever a new distro came out. I cancelled my subscription and they continued to bill me even though I never received anymore CDs. I contacted them repeatedly and they stated they had removed me from their system yet I continued to get billed. I filed a complaint with my credit card company who refunded me the several hundred dollars slackware had charged me and they went after slackware for the money. I have not been impressed with the way they respond to serious security vulnerabilities I have found with their custom built kernels. I have sent in proof of concepts a long time ago on older kernels they had custom built and never received a response of a fix to them. I had considered publishing them on full-disclosure but never really got around to it. Aside from the company the distribution is solid relative to other distros such as Snow or SuSE it is just time consuming to maintain. Anyways my ten cents on why I don't agree with you :mrgreen:
terminus
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by rki on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:09 pm
([msg=670]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

terminus wrote:
rki wrote:
Wyrmkill wrote:
As for the best distro.
Slackware

Reasons Why:
1. There's no package management system.
2. Slackware demands perfection.
4. Slackware is easy to mold and shape from the ground up. Slackware is built with the idea that you want to customize things your way, and it knows that, and lets you do it.
6. Slackware is hardcore Linux with a sharp flavor of classic Unix and some BSD packages thrown in for good measure.

As for servers, obviously FreeBSD is best. But for personal use, Slackware all the way.

word

copy cat - don't you have an opinion of your own?

LOL. That is my opinion. And why do I need to type them out? when its already been said.
rki
New User
New User

Post by eweb100 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:19 pm
([msg=754]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

What do you think of Ubuntu?
eweb100
New User
New User

Post by 3nIGhost on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:48 am
([msg=793]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

eweb100 wrote:What do you think of Ubuntu?

Well Ubuntu i have it as a dual boot or i sometime use it on my laptop on my vmware ... its good unix os .... i would recomend it for anyone who would like to change to a unix os ... :D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

|Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
3nIGhost
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by terminus on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:46 pm
([msg=1131]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

Ubuntu has been a big hit - and I like it because it has done a lot to draw new people to linux and open source. I think other distributions could learn from Ubuntu on how to attract people to their distribution. However, Ubuntu does have negatives such as bloatware. Ubuntu is based off Debian originally which I really like. I don't like gnome however so I would have to use Kubuntu or install KDE on Ubuntu.
terminus
New User
New User

Post by arcanum on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:34 pm
([msg=1356]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

Fav distro would have to be Gentoo

I started out with RedHat 5.1, quickly moved away from that to Slackware, then to Gentoo i've been using it since Gentoo 1.4.

Its init system and portage are the main reasons i like it.

I dislike Debian and Ubuntu, Debian has a 100% free rule, I personally dont care care about and Ubuntu is aimed at newbies, I generally feel to confined when using it.

However each to there own. I tried a _LOT_ of different distros before I found the one that was right for me.
arcanum
New User
New User

Post by _pappy on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:18 am
([msg=1401]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

well im new to unix so i like ubuntu. =P
_pappy
New User
New User

Post by Bocom on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:36 am
([msg=1505]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04

Why? Well, Wubi is one of the top reasons. :)
Bocom
New User
New User

Post by J3Z on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:21 am
([msg=1593]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

Ubuntu 8.04 Dekstop because I suck at unix. I'm running in on a virtual machine in VMware
J3Z
New User
New User

Post by masonga95 on Sat May 10, 2008 3:44 am
([msg=2196]see Re: Distributions[/msg])

I myself, like Mac OS X.

/me is shot
masonga95
New User
New User