Programming 8

Put your programming skills to the test in these challenges.

Re: Programming 8

Post by godofcereal on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:51 am
([msg=21448]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

As Defience said, pick a program language and google tutorials for it.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Videoboy88 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:00 pm
([msg=21474]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

Yes, I know. What programming language is used in this mission?
Videoboy88
New User
New User

Post by godofcereal on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:11 pm
([msg=21475]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

As far as I know php, python and perl. Im using perl for my bot. Not sure if you can use any other language.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by eljonto on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:50 pm
([msg=21477]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:As far as I know php, python and perl. Im using perl for my bot. Not sure if you can use any other language.

I started out using perl for my bot- worked great up until the kick(), some reason didn't work so in the end i went with a lower level python socket approach
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Post by dwmead03 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:32 pm
([msg=21479]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:As far as I know php, python and perl. Im using perl for my bot. Not sure if you can use any other language.

Any language that can do socket programming can be used to complete this mission. Quite a broad list actually.

eljonto wrote:I started out using perl for my bot- worked great up until the kick(), some reason didn't work so in the end i went with a lower level python socket approach

I would definitely not consider python low level, especially for socket programming. Python makes the whole ordeal quite simple actually.
dwmead03
New User
New User

Post by nermd on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:28 am
([msg=21497]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

eljonto wrote:

I started out using perl for my bot- worked great up until the kick(), some reason didn't work so in the end i went with a lower level python socket approach

i used perl for this mission too. I used the very nice and easy to use Bot::BasicBot::Pluggable Framework ... BUT i had to extend the implementation so kick(), emote() and notice() works (for this to work you have to know about how BasicBot works and how it uses the POE Framework).

nermd

PS: i hope this tip isn't considered as "too much info" ... BUT i think that EVERYONE who really thought about implementing this mission in perl thought about using Bot::BasicBot ... its just how CPAN works, it has always the right solution :D.
With this world there is no understanding, we belong their only to the extent, as we rebel against it (Theodor W. Adorno) --> if somebody knows a "official" translation for the well known german quote ... pls let me know!
nermd
New User
New User

Post by haha01haha01 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 am
([msg=22155]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

finally finished it -_-
yea, the problem (for me atleast) really was the IP. but even after i changed it, moo kept telling me im too slow (even it only took me about 2 seconds because i had to wait for auto op)... was pretty much luck, i just spammed kick moo as fast as i can when i entered the ch and eventually it worked.
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Post by DrakierD on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:26 pm
([msg=22165]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

My issues were also related to the IP address problem. I connected to irc.* rather than the IP given.

After changing the IP my solution worked perfectly.

I did mine in complete C#, but then again, I'd already written a full-featured IRC client in C# and was able to just modify it slightly to work with the commands given.

On a side note, it is actually possible to do this in mIRC even though the level says it isn't. It just takes a little something extra. I won't give more hints than that, other than to say it is indeed possible.
DrakierD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by eljonto on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:16 am
([msg=22196]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

DrakierD wrote:On a side note, it is actually possible to do this in mIRC even though the level says it isn't.

Quote from website:
moo will version the bot to check if you aren't using mIRC

They never say it isn't possible, they just try to stop you using MIRC because they actually want to to program something rather than the easier scripting alternative
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Post by Defience on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:03 am
([msg=22229]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

I wrote my bot in Python and used mirc to communicate with my bot to complete the challenge.
Defience
Addict
Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Programming