Hack This Site is a free, safe and legal training ground for hackers to test and expand their hacking skills. More than just another hacker wargames site, we are a living, breathing community with many active projects in development, with a vast selection of hacking articles and a huge forum where users can discuss hacking, network security, and just about everything. Tune in to the hacker underground and get involved with the project.
Because you are reading THIS post at the moment, it is most likely that you are new to HTS (short for HackThisSite) and are seeking help. I'd like to welcome you. Many of you are here wanting to test your current knowledge of hacking/security or starting to learn to hack. Learning to hack takes a lot of work, patience, and determination, as it will take many months or even YEARS to be familiar with hacking.
- Basic: There are 11 Basic missions. Most of the Basic missions consist of password boxes and requires exploitation to find the correct password. The Basic missions are very "basic", requiring HTML knowledge, logical thinking, and it introduces users to simple/common web errors and vulnerabilities.
- Realistic: There are 16 Realistic missions. The missions are self-explanatory. A user learns to exploit or attack pages in realistic situations by modifying the page or by gaining access. Difficulty ranges from easy, to medium, to hard.
- Application: There are 17 Application missions. The goal is to "crack" the applications by gaining passwords using reverse engineering or data manipulation.
- Programming: There are 12 Programming missions. The challenge requires a user to code in a programming language to perform necessary tasks.
- ExtBasic: There are 13 ExtBasic missions. The challenge consists of patching vulnerabilities/errors, or code review in the languages of PHP, Perl, and Batch.
- Stego: There are 17 Stego missions. Stego missions consist of digital objects using different methods to hide data, whether in images, a sound file, in a zip, and more.
For starters, I'd suggest that you try the Basic Missions. The first few Basic missions require logical thinking, but HTML is also REQUIRED to complete the missions. HTML is a language used to create and display web pages with a web browser. To learn HTML, please read: http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/
If you have NOT tried to learn HTML or don't understand HTML, I am assuming you are very, VERY inexperienced
with computers and need more guidance, which is understandable. You need to learn a bit about your web browser. If you do not know what it is, a web browser is a software/program that allows you to search or view information (such as websites) on the internet. A few popular browsers are Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, etc.
HTTP knowledge in general would also help you accomplish the Basic missions and will help you understand more about how things work in the long run.
The reason why spoilers are discouraged is because the spoilers that are posted here are TOO MUCH of a give-away and completely spoil the mission(s) for other users. Posting spoilers will result in a warning. Most of them contain Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Mission Scripts, etc. However, (minimal) spoilers are natural. I call these "hints". Hints are just a push in the right direction by giving you the opportunity to actually LEARN. If you spot a spoiler, PLEASE report the post(s) and/or contact the moderators!
There are plenty of help right here on the forum! So, please take the time to read the topic(s) suitable for your interest! For more help, please browse through Articles on the main site (which is under "Get Informed".) You may also join our IRC and use our bot Moo for hints.
SSL: 6697 or 7000
- Download an IRC client such as X-Chat or mIRC.
[HTS Lead Moderator]