- Webpages are represented through a set of instructions, that can be read by a browser.
These instructions are called the source of the webpage.
Since your browser is able display the page for you, you must have a copy of the source.
It turns out is it very easy to see this source, you can simply right-click the page and chose "View Source"
Now you will see the HTML source of the webpage.
HTML is the basic language of websites, and you will learn about it in detail a bit later on.
So look at the HTML for the mission and see what you can find.
- This mission is purely common sense, so read the given information carefully.
As Defience said, "You want to break into my house, but I don't have a door. How do you get in?"
- Time to read a HTML Tutorial
Be sure to read this guide thoroughly, so that you completely understand HTML.
Now, the source you can see should make a lot more sense.
If you were looking for treasure, and had a map with the coordinates of the treasure, wouldn't you change your location to those coordinates?
- You can make your own webpages by writing HTML code and then saving it as page.html
Then, you can open your page in Firefox or whichever web browser you use.
You can also clone a page you are looking at by viewing the source, copying it, changing it if wanted, then saving and opening it.
What change could you make to the page for Basic 4?
The easiest way to do this is with the Firebug Addon for Firefox
- First let's look at the Ascii Table
This is a common way for characters to be represented with numbers.
Encryption is simply applying a series of changes to plaintext (readable text), in order to yield ciphertext (unreadable text).
Play around with the given encryption function in order to figure out the steps that are done.
Now, to reverse the encryption, reverse the steps.
- If we enter a year, we see a nice calender, but this isn't useful.
Read about basic UNIX commands.
You should also find out how to separate multiple commands on the same line.
Since we can't guess the name of the password file, we need a way to see all possible files it could be.
- Because the files are saved as .shtml we should learn about Server Side Includes
Now try to accomplish the same thing as Basic 7, except using SSI.
- Server Side Includes again, but this time with Directory Transversal
Use Directory Transversal to target a different location like the mission instructs you to.
- No script to exploit, no password file.
Time to learn about Cookies
- There are multiple ways to complete some of these missions.
After you beat a mission one way, try to find another way to complete it.