Basic Mission 8

Bad threads go here

Re: Basic Mission 8

Post by dax24240 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:28 am
([msg=18719]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

(hope this aint a spoiler)
it took me about 30 minutes to figure this out and it was right in front of my face.
look back through all the posts and read these sites carefully:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/ssi.html

http://www.computerhope.com/unix/uls.htm

these are all you need.
dax24240
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Defience on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:36 am
([msg=18722]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Those links have been posted throughout this forum and are good reading/learning material.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by -_noob_- on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:29 am
([msg=18772]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

trebert wrote:So I, like many of you, worked my a$$ off trying various things and nothing worked. It pissed me off, and forced me to stay up till 2am (not that late, but later than I wanted to be up). By the way, a message to whomever decided to put that precaution in: I can understand you are worried about safety and those who would do "nasty" things, but to block every single command/parameter except for the right answer and a variation thereof seems extreme and excessive :evil: . I'm a "code-by-doer," and so to constantly see the "I'm sorry, you can't even see what that command does" error was ridiculously frustrating. I felt like I was firing in the dark at a tin can: I could only tell whether or not I hit the can, not any information as to where I was aiming/how much I was missing by. I'll leave my frustration-venting rant at that.

But for those of you who were like me, I leave you the following pieces of advice (hopefully none will be censored :D )
*Don't be discouraged by those who say "omg it's so simple wow I feel so dumb now," because some might be better at certain things/get lucky. It's a tough challenge, hence it being number 8 of 10... Just keep at it, and hopefully you'll find the light through the smoke
*It was posted once before on this forum, and was the thing that cracked it for me, so I will repeat it here. It's a fairly significant help, and it might be censored, but the fact is, you don't need to be in a directory to view it's files. So search around to get a better idea how one might do that. http://www.computerhope.com/unix/uls.htm was the site that was most helpful for me.
*If you've read this far in the forum, well done! That shows perseverance. There is enough actual command hints in this forum that, when put together yield what you're looking for. So that narrows down the permutations at least ;)

OMFG!! That took me like half of a day to get. ^^ Biggest help. Much Gratitude.
It's easy after you figure the command to get to the right dir.
How would you get from one page to another? don't forget to backspace the tmp as someone has already said. I Read all the way to pg. 18 I think.
-_noob_-
New User
New User

Post by JrJarhead on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:03 am
([msg=18786]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

ok i have figured out how to find the parent directory but its saying thats blocked yes i have researched ssi commands and i no how to use ls with them but i can't get passed the screen where it gives you all of the file names

ok i finally figured it out remember you need a space
Last edited by JrJarhead on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.

Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice.
JrJarhead
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by guitarshredder32 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:29 pm
([msg=18848]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

i tried entering a code and i got a message "If you are trying to use server side includes to solve the challenge, you are on the right track: but I have limited the commands allowed to ones relevant towards finding the password file for security reasons(because there will always be that one person who decides to execute some rather nasty commands). So please manipulate your code so that it is a little more pertaining to the level."
I don't know what to do. i haven't even been able to see any files and i've been at this for 2+hours.
Any Hints would be nice.
EDIT: i use the echo command btw, just wanted to throw that out, tell me if that is wrong please. i don't even think that it is called the echo command, but i don't know much ssi, just from the websites.
:'( me noob (just sarcasm)
guitarshredder32
New User
New User

Post by Defience on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:02 pm
([msg=18878]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

guitarshredder32 wrote:i tried entering a code and i got a message "If you are trying to use server side includes to solve the challenge, you are on the right track: but I have limited the commands allowed to ones relevant towards finding the password file for security reasons(because there will always be that one person who decides to execute some rather nasty commands). So please manipulate your code so that it is a little more pertaining to the level."
I don't know what to do. i haven't even been able to see any files and i've been at this for 2+hours.
Any Hints would be nice.
EDIT: i use the echo command btw, just wanted to throw that out, tell me if that is wrong please. i don't even think that it is called the echo command, but i don't know much ssi, just from the websites.
:'( me noob (just sarcasm)

If you get that message that it is exactly what it says, on the right track. Read through the posts in this forum for help and you are sure to find your way.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by guitarshredder32 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:22 pm
([msg=18912]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Can you at least tell me whether i should use #echo or #exec, or is that against the rules? I'm new to this, thus why i'm only at lvl 8.
guitarshredder32
New User
New User

Post by i_fallenhero on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:37 pm
([msg=18966]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

how do i know where to put the correct SSI command in?
i_fallenhero
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by TheMindRapist on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:39 pm
([msg=18972]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

It goes in the only input field available to you...
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stalvros2 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:28 pm
([msg=19016]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

:( Ok. heres what i know. ? 0 ? . The only thing i have figured out on this mission is that it tells me how many charachters are in whatever you enter. Other words i have goten nowhere, i havent seen the shtml or the documents, ive been to all the places people have posted to go to and have got nowhere at all. I have tried most everything i can think of but nothing works i dont even know step one... im using ineternet explorer 8 beta. But im not shure if its not letting me do something or if im just missing something real simple i have spent quite a while am not a person to post unless i realy need to thus this post. Tried using ssi in the box with #exec cmd like in the website refered but it takes me no where and nothing works i thoght i might have to edit it in notepad again and that did nothing. If i could get an email even of the first step not much just enogh to know if its IE8 or if im going about this the wrong way? I think i may know it after that with all the hints but i just have gone no where past the telling me how many charachters i have entered. please help. :?:
Last edited by stalvros2 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stalvros2
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Graveyard