Programming 7

Put your programming skills to the test in these challenges.

Programming 7

Post by Xive on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:29 pm
([msg=18965]see Programming 7[/msg])

Hello, since there is no previous topics about this challenge, i made this one!
Its just the explanation of the mission isn't very clear or i did't understand it, It says:

"Begin with the upper line, and add the lower line without a blank in between."

Well I'm guessing this is the unscrambling method, BUT
1. What does it mean by add? is it like concatenate or mathematically add (like pixel position)!
2. What does it mean by the lower line? is it the next line or the bottom line!
3. What does it mean by a blank in between?

Thanks.
Xive
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Programming 7

Post by TheMindRapist on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:16 pm
([msg=18968]see Re: Programming 7[/msg])

No, it means type in the letters from top to bottom, without spaces.
You have to figure out how to unscramble it yourself.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Defience on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 am
([msg=19246]see Re: Programming 7[/msg])

Xive wrote:Hello, since there is no previous topics about this challenge, i made this one!
Its just the explanation of the mission isn't very clear or i did't understand it, It says:

Well I'm guessing this is the unscrambling method, BUT
1. What does it mean by add? is it like concatenate or mathematically add (like pixel position)!
2. What does it mean by the lower line? is it the next line or the bottom line!
3. What does it mean by a blank in between?

Thanks.

When you unscramble this, it should reveal 2 rows of chars in the image which are legible so if the upper row is XxXxX and directly below it is YyYyY then to submit the correct answer would be: XxXxXYyYyY
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by dwmead03 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:11 pm
([msg=19276]see Re: Programming 7[/msg])

I'm kind of stuck on Programming 7. I figured out a way to group the two different sets of characters together and my sorting algorithm only makes the character's, slightly more readable, but not really to the point where I can pass the mission. Currently I'm trying to sort by the sum of B values, but it's not working well. My question is, should or can I somehow be using the background to sort the rows? On a side note, I believe the example files given on the challenge page seem to be old. Just the encoding for the background seems simpler, and I think my algorithm would work for a file similar to the example ones posted.
dwmead03
New User
New User

Post by TheMindRapist on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:27 pm
([msg=19446]see Re: Programming 7[/msg])

This is actually a good point, I don't think the images have been updated since evinyatar recoded the mission.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dwmead03 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:10 pm
([msg=19696]see Re: Programming 7[/msg])

So after I ditched my method stated earlier which would have worked with the files similar to the example files, I wrote an algorithm that rearranged the data without looking at the background and successfully completed the mission. However, I am still curious as to how others have solved this using the background. If someone could please PM me how they sorted the lines based on the background, I would appreciate it. I'm curious.
dwmead03
New User
New User

Post by acskurucz on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:31 pm
([msg=20629]see Re: Programming 7[/msg])

dwmead03 wrote:So after I ditched my method stated earlier which would have worked with the files similar to the example files, I wrote an algorithm that rearranged the data without looking at the background and successfully completed the mission. However, I am still curious as to how others have solved this using the background. If someone could please PM me how they sorted the lines based on the background, I would appreciate it. I'm curious.

actually i used the background. what you tried was close to the right method, but you should have filtered the text.
but what did you use? i can't imagine.
acskurucz
New User
New User

Post by dwmead03 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:40 pm
([msg=20852]see Re: Programming 7[/msg])

acskurucz wrote:actually i used the background. what you tried was close to the right method, but you should have filtered the text.
but what did you use? i can't imagine.

I still don't understand how I was supposed to do it with just the background. I tried only using the pixels to the right of the password data but I never even came close.

My method eliminated all rows without data and the sorted each line based on the amount of pixels it had in common with the next row. Sometimes it worked beautifully. Others, not so much. Also, it didn't guarantee that the letters were correct top to bottom. So sometimes the letter would be chopped in half with the bottom half on top and the top half on bottom.
dwmead03
New User
New User

Post by acskurucz on Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:13 pm
([msg=20855]see Re: Programming 7[/msg])

You wrote it 5 posts earlier, the method is close, but with filtering. u need to know the password's color(s)
acskurucz
New User
New User

Post by Schultzika on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:12 pm
([msg=25254]see Re: Programming 7[/msg])

Wow... this one was hard!

I thought my solution would be unique, then I realised I did allmost the same thing as dwmead03.
My program makes the picture much more readable, although sometimes the letters are choped in pieces and turned upside-down.
Since there is 180 second limit, I have plenty of time to adjust the letters in MS Paint, and post the correct solution.

By the way I used C++ and had over 1500 lines of code(including comments and stuff)... I like to complicate things :D
Schultzika
New User
New User

Next

Return to Programming