ExtBasic 11

Learn how to do code review

Re: ExtBasic 11

Post by Ninfa on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 am
([msg=18636]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

Used php for this one, and suggest it over C/C++/Others due to having to work with high numbers.

Considering how many are getting such results, in my opinion, leave the challenge as it is, instead of coding another validator leave a note that it's only accepting solutions with less than 10 characters, or simply rescript this mission's batch for it to only accept solutions with less than 10 characters. (Make a counter, for instance, once it reaches 10, halts the hashing and jumps to accessdenied).

The solution atm is too obvious to be ignored.. So who's not getting it, is doing something random and taking advantage that the script accepts infinite solutions. Makes it a bit more challenging if you don't allow such solutions to beat it..
Ninfa
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by aliendude530 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:08 pm
([msg=20103]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

Could the maker of this mission or someone who knows how to beat it PM me? I wrote a program to solve this, but it says the answer I get is wrong... I did some testing with the strings "AAA" and "WIN" as mentioned on http://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1022 -- both worked perfectly :D but unfortunately, even though I am using the modulus operator to determine if the remainder is 0 before selecting a letter to divide by, and then dividing it, I seem to get the incorrect answer to the actual hash. I'm not going to send the source code to my program, as that might end up making it so that people who have no idea how to do this get free credit for simply running a program, however,I am willing to send a pre-compiled exe file that attempts to solve the hash to anybody who already beat the mission, as I spent quite some time on this (even though it calculates the numbers wrong), and cheaters don't deserve the points.

EDIT: The solution I get is exactly 13 characters but unfortunately it doesn't validate...
aliendude530
New User
New User

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:33 am
([msg=20139]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

aliendude530 wrote:Could the maker of this mission or someone who knows how to beat it PM me? I wrote a program to solve this, but it says the answer I get is wrong... I did some testing with the strings "AAA" and "WIN" as mentioned on http://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1022 -- both worked perfectly :D but unfortunately, even though I am using the modulus operator to determine if the remainder is 0 before selecting a letter to divide by, and then dividing it, I seem to get the incorrect answer to the actual hash. I'm not going to send the source code to my program, as that might end up making it so that people who have no idea how to do this get free credit for simply running a program, however,I am willing to send a pre-compiled exe file that attempts to solve the hash to anybody who already beat the mission, as I spent quite some time on this (even though it calculates the numbers wrong), and cheaters don't deserve the points.

EDIT: The solution I get is exactly 13 characters but unfortunately it doesn't validate...

PM me your answer and I'll see what's wrong. If you'd like, you could send me the source and I might be able to tell where it went wrong.

P.S. If you do.. send the files to mutantsrus, not mutants_r_us_guild. That's my old account.
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by aliendude530 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:12 pm
([msg=20164]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

mutantsrus, I sent you both the pre-compiled program and the source code. Check your message center. Oh... and about the fancy colored text... I added that after I wrote the original code. 8-)
aliendude530
New User
New User

Post by dj_kat on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:33 pm
([msg=22473]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

This one was tough as hell took me a long while to get a answer that would pass the batch script. As I expected it's prob too long to pass the validation (788 characters). It passes the batch script, but is there a way to make the password shorter somehow?

-- Sun May 03, 2009 4:55 pm --

mutants_r_us_guild wrote:This means there are infinite working passes... we just need to make a better system for validation... right now the site checks for anagrams of a certain word.. rather than actually hash the input and compare like it should.
Hopefully this will be straightened out soon.

I tried to recreate this batch file in php but I didn't manage to simulate the singed integer. However I was able to recreate this one using perl. Maybe you guys want to have the script to validate the infinite possibilities?
dj_kat
New User
New User

Post by haha01haha01 on Fri May 15, 2009 2:11 pm
([msg=23775]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

EDIT: nevermind, im stupid.
Last edited by haha01haha01 on Fri May 15, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Post by neikel on Fri May 15, 2009 2:20 pm
([msg=23776]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

Thank the authors for this mission, another way to create hash.

Just finished. Have anybody done this mission without double type ? (Just using integer variables with the same size as the batch program. It's a bit more work.)

Hint: you could brute force directly with the password string to win this mission at your own command shell but it not the meaning of this mission. Just brute force with the hash in the way of modulo. So, first you must find out what the modulo is in this case.
neikel
New User
New User

Post by haha01haha01 on Fri May 15, 2009 4:32 pm
([msg=23789]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

neikel wrote:Thank the authors for this mission, another way to create hash.

Just finished. Have anybody done this mission without double type ? (Just using integer variables with the same size as the batch program. It's a bit more work.)

Hint: you could brute force directly with the password string to win this mission at your own command shell but it not the meaning of this mission. Just brute force with the hash in the way of modulo. So, first you must find out what the modulo is in this case.

wouldnt be that great of a hash :|

anyway, i just used the BigInteger class for C# to deal with the large integers. my program worked well from the beginning, but i accidently set the wrap to 0xFFFFFFFF instead of 0x100000000... was kind of annoying =\
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Post by -HellBound on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:58 am
([msg=25102]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

I've been running this for several hours now, how many digits is the unwrapped hash (ballpark indication)? I don't want to keep this running for days only to find out I'm doing something wrong.

/EDIT: whoa, little python mistake there. Apparently "while password is not 1" is not the way to check for a number, good ol' "while password > 1" worked though. Code ran for little over a second when I fixed that. :D
-HellBound
New User
New User

Post by lambda0 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:13 pm
([msg=27941]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

I really enjoyed this mission. If anyone is getting more than 10 digits then you're going to have to tweak your code a bit. If you're getting results with...oh, say 788 characters then you likely need to find out what underlying factors are causing your problem.
lambda0
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Extended Basics