What's the reason for existence?

What is the nature of existence?

Re: What's the reason for existence?

Post by IncandescentLight on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:03 am
([msg=17044]see Re: What's the reason for existence?[/msg])

Somehow, though, i believe that we are sort of an alien species, dropped off a few thousand years ago to evolve. This may seem weird but hear my story:
Why would nature create something which is dominant above all species?
Why would nature create a being which pollutes the environment and tampers with evolution by genetic engineering?
Why would nature create an intelligent species whose primary goal is now not only to survive, but to enjoy luxuries and invent complex tools unneeded for simple survival?
Strangely enough each generation being born has on average more brain cells than the last. See where evolution is taking us?
Speak softly and carry a big stick -Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.rhetoricalcatch.blogspot.com
IncandescentLight
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by bradd512 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:41 am
([msg=17089]see Re: What's the reason for existence?[/msg])

Wow, I never thought of humans in respect to the Earth in that way. Very powerful argument. Made my brain flip inside out :idea: .
bradd512
New User
New User

Post by thezich on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:50 pm
([msg=17983]see Re: What's the reason for existence?[/msg])

I would say that there is as low a chance of everything we see occurring from the Big Bang theory alone than there being a Higher Power.

Having said that, I'm going to leave behind all my beliefs and just say this; Eternity is now, and time is an illusion. Now is the most important time in your life, because anything that will ever happen to you happens Now, so instead of living in the past and the future, live Now. Nothing spiritual about that. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. This is not the same as living for the moment, but this is living as moment. We can't fix our future if our present is in shambles.
thezich
New User
New User

Post by eMpTy89 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:46 pm
([msg=18613]see Re: What's the reason for existence?[/msg])

IncandescentLight wrote:Somehow, though, i believe that we are sort of an alien species, dropped off a few thousand years ago to evolve. This may seem weird but hear my story:
Why would nature create a being which pollutes the environment and tampers with evolution by genetic engineering?
Why would nature create an intelligent species whose primary goal is now not only to survive, but to enjoy luxuries and invent complex tools unneeded for simple survival?
Strangely enough each generation being born has on average more brain cells than the last. See where evolution is taking us?

Ever though about genetic mutation? or anomaly? think about it, we use to be ape, so we were herbivore and use to hide from predators in trees. So when the drought came, and the trees died, we had no choice but to start walking on the ground(where the predators are, follow me here!) so we where expose to danger, and had to adapt, and the only way we had(we could not just grow claws) so we had to develop intellect to learn to defend ourselves! its as simple as that, we became intelligent because of nature's law of adaptation, the very nature of evolution. But then it got out of hand, and we became to good for our own good, we started to realize that when we did certain things we liked it, then we started to find ways to like it more, then we stared questioning ourselves"why do we like it?""why is it there?"so we made up spirits(the spirit of the food make it taste good) and Gods(the Gods made the spirits) and then we evolved even more, and developed better ways to defend ourselves, and feel pleasure, and believe in and honor our gods... so its all a big coincidence witch got way out of hand...and thats it.
Man is something that is to be
surpassed. What have ye done to surpass man?-Friedrich Nietzsche "Thus spoke Zarathustra"
eMpTy89
New User
New User

Post by TheMindRapist on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:49 pm
([msg=18660]see Re: What's the reason for existence?[/msg])

thezich wrote:I would say that there is as low a chance of everything we see occurring from the Big Bang theory alone than there being a Higher Power.

You remind me of my Physics professor.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by i_fallenhero on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:34 pm
([msg=18679]see Re: What's the reason for existence?[/msg])

eMpTy89 wrote:
IncandescentLight wrote:Somehow, though, i believe that we are sort of an alien species, dropped off a few thousand years ago to evolve. This may seem weird but hear my story:

Ever though about genetic mutation? or anomaly? think about it, we use to be ape, so we were herbivore and use to hide from predators in trees. So when the drought came, and the trees died, we had no choice but to start walking on the ground(where the predators are, follow me here!) so we where expose to danger, and had to adapt, and the only way we had(we could not just grow claws) so we had to develop intellect to learn to defend ourselves! its as simple as that, we became intelligent because of nature's law of adaptation, the very nature of evolution. But then it got out of hand, and we became to good for our own good, we started to realize that when we did certain things we liked it, then we started to find ways to like it more, then we stared questioning ourselves"why do we like it?""why is it there?"so we made up spirits(the spirit of the food make it taste good) and Gods(the Gods made the spirits) and then we evolved even more, and developed better ways to defend ourselves, and feel pleasure, and believe in and honor our gods... so its all a big coincidence witch got way out of hand...and thats it.
how can it be proven that we all used to be apes? The evidence may suggest that we came from primates but it is still just a theory
i_fallenhero
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Agent Pugsly on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:39 am
([msg=20198]see Re: What's the reason for existence?[/msg])

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIcBfJw__k0

Dr Steel knows what the reason is. To Create!
Agent Pugsly
New User
New User

Post by TheKludge on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:08 pm
([msg=20221]see Re: What's the reason for existence?[/msg])

I think questions like this don't do the world as much good as many think they do. Why exist at all? It gives people reasons to be cynical about things they can't change and breeds depression in the masses, and the last thing we need is a civilization that's more angry and desperate than it already is.

Questions like this give voice to ignorant people who think they're smart. "There is no reason for anything. We're a speck of complex carbon created by accident through freak happenstance. Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Ignorance should never be given a voice, in my very indignant opinion. People who answer the question in such a way forget the fact that we are here, whether or not it was by happenstance, and the answer delves further into our psyche than is visible on the surface. Cellular life may have been a miracle, and the drive to continue the species is obviously innate to every life-form. The necessity to reproduce and continue the species breeds evolution. And so we evolved from single-cellular organisms into creatures that function in our environments to the best of our abilities, adapting as we need to.

Aristotle said that the purpose of life is eudymonia. Kind of like happiness, I guess, in a very general translation. Finding goodness in the things you do best. It's complicated because it doesn't quite translate into English. Plato said that life is best made use of by doing what you are good at, whether it brings you happiness or not. Jumping up two thousand years, Freud said that the purpose of life is to fulfill our desires.

I think it's more basic than that. I think the reason for existence is simply to create. Recreation, procreation, all that. Creation is what we have done since the first cell split in two, and it applies to more than humans. We may be specks of carbon, life worthless in the grand scheme of the universe, but we're here, and the reason we're here now is because of the drive for the new. By denying the value of life, by saying existence means nothing, we deny the value of everything. Which is why speculations on the topic do no good. If we convince everybody that life is meaningless, we won't make it as a species.
TheKludge
New User
New User

Post by animeisboringk on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:49 pm
([msg=20650]see Re: What's the reason for existence?[/msg])

We live to die
I die to live that through scars and the shedding of my blood I may become a part of the world.
For the world to become a part of myself that is indispensable and yet, easy to lose by dying.
animeisboringk
New User
New User

Post by Memphisis on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:39 pm
([msg=20707]see Re: What's the reason for existence?[/msg])

The reson of existence is to exist
Memphisis
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to General