IP Spoofing

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: IP Spoofing

Post by sidebottom on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:32 pm
([msg=17900]see Re: IP Spoofing[/msg])

Andomis wrote:......................spoofing starts here*
Home -> routers -> modem (your mac) -> your ISP -> other ISPs -> other modems -> other routers -> end Host (general* layout)

Should be closer to

Code: Select all
Home (your mac) -> routers (your routers mac) -> modem (your modem's mac) -> your ISP (your ISP's mac) -> other ISPs -> other modems -> other routers -> end Host  (general* layout)

And so on. As msgcrk already explained,
...when the packets coming from your card arrive at your router or modem, your nic's mac will be replaced with the modem's/router's mac. And so on, the packets you sent travel through a bunch of gateways/routers and the source MAC address is always replaced with the previous device's mac address. The remote host you are communicating with will never know your mac.

So if you are trying to hide your identity over the internet, IP spoofing is VERY difficult (at least over TCP/IP on modern systems) and MAC spoofing is unnecessary.

If you ARE looking to hide yourself on a LAN rather than over the internet, then IP spoofing is pretty easy (provided you can easily sniff traffic to and from your victim) and MAC spoofing is a good idea.
sidebottom
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Andomis on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:09 am
([msg=17924]see Re: IP Spoofing[/msg])

The only reason why I only labelled the modem as your mac, is because that is the only mac that will be seen by the outside world in which case makes it visually easier to understand. The others do not then require labeling. But yes yours is also correct.

:)

Alive,
Andomis
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sidebottom on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:43 am
([msg=17947]see Re: IP Spoofing[/msg])

I was just clarifying for those who didn't know to make that assumption :)
sidebottom
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to Networking