Just a couple of quick (or not) questions

Just a couple of quick (or not) questions

Post by Bren2010 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:26 pm
([msg=17636]see Just a couple of quick (or not) questions[/msg])

Ok, so I'm working on a project, and I have a couple of questions about problems I've run into.

1. Does anyone know how to make your computer run Ftp and Http at the same time? Like if I type "http://localhost" it will show me my website, but if I type in "ftp://localhost" it will show me the files in the directory.

2. On ftp can you edit the files and save them back to the server? (If no, then no need answering first question)

3. Is there anyway to give an apache server 2.2 (on Windows XP) more than one, or a different access name. Like the default "localhost" and/or "mysite".

Thanks to anyone who responds! :D
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Just a couple of quick (or not) questions

Post by myhexhax on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:38 pm
([msg=17637]see Re: Just a couple of quick (or not) questions[/msg])

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

1. You will have to run two different daemons/services. If you are on windows, Apache and FileZilla FTP server will suffice. Unless you want to configure IIS, which contains both HTTP and FTP services.

2. That's what FTP is primarily intended for. You can configure it so that you can only write but not read files, or only read but not write files, or read and write. It's entirely up to you and how you configure your FTP server.

3. If you want this to only be for your computer, you can add it to your hosts file and you will be able to access your Apache server via whatever name you desire for it. If you want each name to point to a different file location, you will need to configure named virtual hosts within Apache's httpd.conf. Note that you will still need to add it to your Windows hosts file. If you want the names to work from other computers, you will need to configure the zone file of the DNS server that those computers are using, but if it's just for your own personal use, using your hosts file should work well enough.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help with the above.
gniripsni ewa si rehte eht morf cisum siht
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Post by Bren2010 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:28 pm
([msg=17639]see Re: Just a couple of quick (or not) questions[/msg])

Thanks, you helped allot! Except I still don't get number 3. Yes, this is only for my computer. I'm not sure if I changed the right hosts file though. I changed the one in "C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc" and in the file it said it was only an example so I'm not sure. After that I rebooted my computer and when I typed in the address and it said the server was taking to long to respond. Any idea what I did wrong?
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by myhexhax on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:02 pm
([msg=17641]see Re: Just a couple of quick (or not) questions[/msg])

Are you able to access the website via any other means? (IP address, local host, etc). Just need to make sure that the server is working before we diagnose other things ^^
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Post by Bren2010 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:08 pm
([msg=17642]see Re: Just a couple of quick (or not) questions[/msg])

Yeah, I can still get to it by typing localhost.
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by myhexhax on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:51 pm
([msg=17643]see Re: Just a couple of quick (or not) questions[/msg])

Oops, sorry for the delayed reply. I'm at work still so I haven't had a chance to get back to you.

From the path you gave ('C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts') it sounds like you edited the right file. It says it is a sample, but it is the actual file you should be editing (I just realized how bad the wording is in there..) Did you follow the format that the other entries in the host file were? It should be as follows
Code: Select all
127.0.0.1      mywebsite.tld
[ip addr][space][domain/hostname]

The IP and the host name must be separated by at least one space.
When you run ping via the command line (ping mydomain.tld), does it give you the IP address you typed into the hosts file? Or does it give you a `Could not resolve host name` error? If it's the latter, then the changes to your host file did not work. You also shouldn't need to reboot after you make changes (that should save you a little bit of time)

Let me know what you find.
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Post by Bren2010 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm
([msg=17646]see Re: Just a couple of quick (or not) questions[/msg])

Yay! It works! Thank you sooo much! :D
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by myhexhax on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:19 pm
([msg=17647]see Re: Just a couple of quick (or not) questions[/msg])

Sure, glad I was able to help! Please feel free to let me know if you need anything else.
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Return to Web Design