Windows 7 is visually gigantic!

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Windows 7 is visually gigantic!

Post by DenyTheTruth on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:03 am
([msg=16896]see Windows 7 is visually gigantic![/msg])

So my computer crashed about a day or two ago. Not sure why, don't care why. I was contemplating formatting for a while anyway and I wanted to try out the 7 beta. So I get it, install it, start to play around and get graphics drivers, install, blah blah blah.

So I go to the 1440x900 resolution I'm normally at. The damn icons are still an inch and a half tall. To top it off, the task bar is damn near as big. And no quick launch. Gah! So annoying. So very very annoying.

But I'll live, cuz other than the aesthetics it seems to work nicely.

[/rant]

Anyone else notice quirky things about 7 that's not bug-related?

Edit: Oh thank god, I found a way to change it.
~ Parruption in Coradise ~
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Windows 7 is visually gigantic!

Post by John4767 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:28 am
([msg=16965]see Re: Windows 7 is visually gigantic![/msg])

haha yeah I was gonna say i was playing around with it for a few days, and was mad because the taskbar is so freaking tall. The taskbar is so close to the mac its not even funny, Personally I have no problem with that because I Mac, but why make windows like mac? what ever.

I am back on vista again, gonna stay this way for awhile again. although i would like to get back into linux again.
John4767
New User
New User

Post by DenyTheTruth on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:33 pm
([msg=17032]see Re: Windows 7 is visually gigantic![/msg])

I found a bug with the start menu. Apparently if you try and rename certain things they'll become forever-stuck as both names even if you delete them. It really annoying to have a several jumbled letters permanently stuck on your start menu.
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by TheMindRapist on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:58 pm
([msg=17034]see Re: Windows 7 is visually gigantic![/msg])

If you use Windows, you should use XP.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andomis on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:04 am
([msg=17045]see Re: Windows 7 is visually gigantic![/msg])

Hey,

-To reduce the size of the menu and the icons, right click on the taskbar, and check the "use small icons" box. It will make everything the same as with Vista.

-As for the Quicklaunch, the new taskbar is just that. If you notice- they doubled the size of the quicklaunch icons and made them into the new task icons- combined with the sorting and aero features. (Hover, Shake, Snap-on, etc... features)

-The bar is actually designed better imoo than any mac dock so far. Also most paging now goes through a 200mb partition that is created on your hdd upon installation, making it alot faster. (P.S. its shiny too :P)

-As for the naming/deleting issue, you should be able to run a few updates and it'll fix that issue. (not sure on 64 bit though..)

-Windows 7 beta/alpha's are far superior to xp already, about the same in raw resource performance (considering its basically vista running at the speed of xp.. I have it on a old dell inspirion 1100.. 2ghz, 512mb ram- runs the same as xp on it, and runs the same as my duel core 3.4ghz, 2.0gb ram tower running win7- even with aero turned on.) However- still not a suitable OS for actual use until its finally released. But definately better in file storage, paging, active file updating (when you delete files you can see them slowly dissappear or while adding files, you can begin using them while you are adding them), multiscreen game swapping, and general security. (oh and has background file defragmentation just like vista and leopard// not xp) ... did I mention its shiny? Definately gonna replace xp and destory vista when it is released.

Alive,
Andomis

**edit, ahh didnt see that you already figured that out- my fault lol- but for anyone else.. ^ **
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by DenyTheTruth on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:55 pm
([msg=17076]see Re: Windows 7 is visually gigantic![/msg])

Andomis wrote:Hey,

-To reduce the size of the menu and the icons, right click on the taskbar, and check the "use small icons" box. It will make everything the same as with Vista.

-As for the Quicklaunch, the new taskbar is just that. If you notice- they doubled the size of the quicklaunch icons and made them into the new task icons- combined with the sorting and aero features. (Hover, Shake, Snap-on, etc... features)

-The bar is actually designed better imoo than any mac dock so far. Also most paging now goes through a 200mb partition that is created on your hdd upon installation, making it alot faster. (P.S. its shiny too :P)

-As for the naming/deleting issue, you should be able to run a few updates and it'll fix that issue. (not sure on 64 bit though..)

-Windows 7 beta/alpha's are far superior to xp already, about the same in raw resource performance (considering its basically vista running at the speed of xp.. I have it on a old dell inspirion 1100.. 2ghz, 512mb ram- runs the same as xp on it, and runs the same as my duel core 3.4ghz, 2.0gb ram tower running win7- even with aero turned on.) However- still not a suitable OS for actual use until its finally released. But definately better in file storage, paging, active file updating (when you delete files you can see them slowly dissappear or while adding files, you can begin using them while you are adding them), multiscreen game swapping, and general security. (oh and has background file defragmentation just like vista and leopard// not xp) ... did I mention its shiny? Definately gonna replace xp and destory vista when it is released.

Alive,
Andomis

**edit, ahh didnt see that you already figured that out- my fault lol- but for anyone else.. ^ **

I had found the one for the desktop but not the taskbar, so thank you for that. As far as the quick launch, I want the old one in addition to what this one does. I was able to fix the renaming issue by removing the entire folder (which I had done once already but it somehow came back). It's all working now.

Thanks!
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by Andomis on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:19 am
([msg=17084]see Re: Windows 7 is visually gigantic![/msg])

I mean this in the best way possible and out of pure curiousity.. why do you want the quicklaunch back when its no different then the new one.. its even in the same place- just with added features?
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by DenyTheTruth on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:12 pm
([msg=17141]see Re: Windows 7 is visually gigantic![/msg])

With the pinning once you've opened a window you cannot click on it to open another window. You have to either right-click and open a new one or press a hotkey. I like just being able to click once on an icon on my taskbar and be on my way. I don't want to have to open up my start menu (which I almost never use), drop to the desktop, or go through a bunch of commands. I open and close windows probably 100 times per session because I'm insane about only having windows I need open and I like to rearrange them all the time. Thankfully Windows 7 finally allows that.

I'm getting used to it and it's not really a huge problem I just like it. Not having it is just annoying, but tolerable.
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by Andomis on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:03 pm
([msg=17243]see Re: Windows 7 is visually gigantic![/msg])

DenyTheTruth- sorry for the late reply, was running a computer/console gaming tournement all weekend.

Here is your fix:

1. First, right-click on the taskbar and turn off "Lock the Taskbar."
2. Right-click the taskbar, hover over Toolbars, and select New Toolbar.
3. When it asks you to select a folder, enter this string: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
4. Find Quick Launch (it may be on the right side of the taskbar), right-click the divider and disable "Show Text" and "Show Title." Make sure "Small Icons" is enabled.
5. Drag the divider to rearrange Quick Launch on your taskbar (using left-click).
6. Right-click and lock your toolbar again.

**Source: http://i.gizmodo.com/5143200/win-7-tip-miss-vistas-quick-launch-heres-how-you-get-it-back**

This will keep the new quicklaunch taskbar on the left, and put the old quicklaunch icons on the rightside. Go to source to see how it looks!

Hope this pleases you,

Alive,
Andomis
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by DenyTheTruth on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:27 am
([msg=17251]see Re: Windows 7 is visually gigantic![/msg])

Hey! Thanks for the answer there. And don't worry about the reply delay. I wasn't looking for answers immediately anyway. This is perfect. Thanks again.
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Return to Microsoft Windows