Windows XP Professional HELP

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Windows XP Professional HELP

Post by Death109 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:28 pm
([msg=16453]see Windows XP Professional HELP[/msg])

Alright, well my current computer is tooken over by malware, I will post in the malware section about that though. So anyways, my mom works at the high school and she brought the laptop they gave her home so I can put my valuable information on it. So I get on it, then i realize, none of the accounts won't work because the PAS network ( the school ) is obviously not available. I have no way of logging on to do some backdoor to change the password of the admin for the computer. ( not the network ) So how could I possible log in? If I go on safe mode I still need an account and password, so please help me out!

-Thanks!
Death109
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Windows XP Professional HELP

Post by Andomis on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:16 pm
([msg=16600]see Re: Windows XP Professional HELP[/msg])

Hiya Death109,

**Bit o Background** I manage a few hundred computers in a school setting, including laptops like the one you are attempting to access. Luckly anything you do to the computer will easily be fixed or changed later when the school reissues the computer to someone else, either way however- be careful in any matters that you do to the computer while your parent is still the primary user of the device.

I would suggest researching:
ophcrack live
backtrack live

These should sufficently get you access to the computer unless it is totally locked down. Then make your own account off their domain - be sure to delete it later.

(Schools laptop is not a sufficent method to back-up your own personal data)
If you are only trying to gain access only to back-up your corrupted computers data, then be very careful what information you are backing up onto the new computer, for two reasons. 1.) You might transfer viruses onto your parents computer, and 2.) any information placed on the schools computer will be come school property, and its safety or confidentiality are slim.

I would highly suggest looking into flashdrives or external HDD to provide proper back-up rather than tampering with a schools laptop.

I would suggest researching:
backtrack live
knoppix live
ubuntu live

Any of the above 3 will provide sufficent methods for data back-up onto a external HDD if windows is corrupt.

Please provide the brand of your computer, and if you have restore disks.

Alive,
Andomis

**Disclaimer** HTS does not support illegal activities, the above are only suggestions and alternatives to the prior.
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:57 pm
([msg=16605]see Re: Windows XP Professional HELP[/msg])

ok this is where i have a lot of experience, i had to do this all the time at work

first off, did you try the default? Username:Administrator Pass: (nothing)
(logging on locally)
most companies, and stupid admins, forget/dont set an administrator password

also, as mentioned you could try ophcrack

another thing you could try is load up a live cd of linux, like ubuntu
rename login.scr with login.xyz, next copy cmd.exe and rename the copy to login.scr
this will make the command prompt load on startup
then use the command net user (username) (new pass)
any word you type for (new pass) will become that local users new password (thus you could use this for the administrator account)
now load up linux again, change it back to normal, and you can log in locally again
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by obscurant1st on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 am
([msg=16797]see Re: Windows XP Professional HELP[/msg])

obscurant1st
New User
New User

Return to Microsoft Windows