Programming 10

Put your programming skills to the test in these challenges.

Programming 10

Post by xelix on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:49 pm
([msg=15677]see Programming 10[/msg])

If you have any questions about the mission, please post them in this thread instead of making multiple threads about it.
shutdown -h 0 "Since when is death an option?"
xelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Location: mv -f / /dev/null && shutdown -h 0 "You just lost the game."
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Programming 10

Post by dwmead03 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:25 pm
([msg=20233]see Re: Programming 10[/msg])

Topic brought to life!

Alright, so I'm at the very beginning of this mission and I'm stuck. I've got what I believe to be the data from the image, but I don't know what to do next. I notice that it has the same length as a certain hash would have when converted to a B***XX string, but when I tried converting the data I have from B***XX to a hash, it isn't right. So I'm assuming the data is a hash. Am I missing something, or have I just not looked hard enough to find the right type of hash?

Edit: Thought I had found the data, but was incorrect. Now I have found the data and started next part . :D

-- Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:50 am --

Alright, well now I am stuck on the next part. I have performed the first step and I believe I have got the correct data. It is a 64 character(32-byte) hexadecimal string. I noticed this could be a SHA256 hash, but I've tried numerous ways to brute-force it, including xYxxYYxYYx format, without any luck. Am I correct is assuming this is a SHA256 hash? A push in the right direction would be appreciated.
Last edited by dwmead03 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwmead03
New User
New User

Post by f3jk3r on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:41 pm
([msg=20454]see Re: Programming 10[/msg])

I found hash 88 characters long. This can't be right. The mission instructs us to brute force hashes we find in each step. I haven't heard for algorithm that creates hashes 88 characters long (except for cold fusion according to google, which seems incorrect btw). Am I on the right track?
f3jk3r
New User
New User

Post by dwmead03 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:29 pm
([msg=20464]see Re: Programming 10[/msg])

f3jk3r wrote:I found hash 88 characters long. This can't be right. The mission instructs us to brute force hashes we find in each step. I haven't heard for algorithm that creates hashes 88 characters long (except for cold fusion according to google, which seems incorrect btw). Am I on the right track?

There is something you can do with those 88 characters. Also, ensure you have the correct data, at first I was misleaded by what I thought was the data. BTW, I'm at the part just after where you are and still stuck.
dwmead03
New User
New User

Post by f3jk3r on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:30 pm
([msg=20472]see Re: Programming 10[/msg])

dwmead03 wrote:There is something you can do with those 88 characters. Also, ensure you have the correct data, at first I was misleaded by what I thought was the data. BTW, I'm at the part just after where you are and still stuck.

EDIT: I erased this part so it doesn't confuse others. Turned out I went completely off the road. Method(s) I was trying here were nonsense.

What makes me wonder is the line in the mission text: "In order to get this data you must brute-force the encrypted hashes you get in each step. To do this within the time limit you must write a smart brute forcing method, good luck."
I must brute-force every hash I get? Sure, I can try, but first I have to find hashing algorithm that outputs 88 characters as a result..
Last edited by f3jk3r on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
f3jk3r
New User
New User

Post by dwmead03 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:54 pm
([msg=20486]see Re: Programming 10[/msg])

f3jk3r wrote:I guess I can repeat whole procedure a couple of times, which will in the end give me hash with 22 characters. Then what? Or maybe there is some other thing I can do with what I found? BTW, how can I be sure I have correct data? It is a hash made of hexadecimal numbers with length of 88 characters. I tried with several images and this is what I get every time.

What makes me wonder is the line in the mission text: "In order to get this data you must brute-force the encrypted hashes you get in each step. To do this within the time limit you must write a smart brute forcing method, good luck."
I must brute-force every hash I get? Sure, I can try, but first I have to find hashing algorithm that outputs 88 characters as a result..

Well, it seems like you have the right data, but maybe you don't need to decrypt it just yet. Read the instructions again and google around some more to find some that has 88 characters.

Edit: Actually, I lied. It seems you are really close to the correct data, but you don't have it. 88 is the correct length, but what else could you possibly use for the data?
dwmead03
New User
New User

Post by acskurucz on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:12 pm
([msg=20627]see Re: Programming 10[/msg])

yeah, 88 is the correct length of the hash. but it is just the first part of this mission. you have to figure out, what is that hash. the last chars are very helpful
acskurucz
New User
New User

Post by f3jk3r on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:30 am
([msg=20681]see Re: Programming 10[/msg])

Yey! I had typo in my code. Again. Anyway, if last to characters shoud be something that would identify this as B***XX encoding, I don't get last two characters as such. Tried LSB method, tried some other approaches, all I get is jiberish. Back to work..
f3jk3r
New User
New User

Post by acskurucz on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:30 am
([msg=20686]see Re: Programming 10[/msg])

f3jk3r wrote:Yey! I had typo in my code. Again. Anyway, if last to characters shoud be something that would identify this as B***XX encoding, I don't get last two characters as such. Tried LSB method, tried some other approaches, all I get is jiberish. Back to work..

yeah, it should identify as ****XX, so you messed up something. check what is the x coordinate of the first pixel in a line. i can imagine that as the problem, but i don't know which chars have you got.
acskurucz
New User
New User

Post by f3jk3r on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:18 am
([msg=20692]see Re: Programming 10[/msg])

acskurucz wrote:yeah, it should identify as ****XX, so you messed up something. check what is the x coordinate of the first pixel in a line. i can imagine that as the problem, but i don't know which chars have you got.

Thanks acskurucz! Shit, didn't even try this way. Ok, I think I'm back on track (now I'm in the same position as dwmead03, with 32-byte hash).

EDIT: Just finished the mission. acskurucz, thanks again.
f3jk3r
New User
New User

Next

Return to Programming