The New EstBasic 10

Learn how to do code review

The New EstBasic 10

Post by anonHacker on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:31 pm
([msg=14788]see The New EstBasic 10[/msg])

Well, good luck with it.

Me and mutants_r_us_guild designed extbasics 10 and 11.
anonHacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The New EstBasic 10

Post by xelix on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:04 am
([msg=14793]see Re: The New EstBasic 10[/msg])

Don't really like them, as they aren't much of a coding review. But an overall challenge, yes. Thanks for the submissions.
shutdown -h 0 "Since when is death an option?"
xelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Location: mv -f / /dev/null && shutdown -h 0 "You just lost the game."

Post by anonHacker on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:10 am
([msg=14796]see Re: The New EstBasic 10[/msg])

xelix wrote:Don't really like them, as they aren't much of a coding review. But an overall challenge, yes. Thanks for the submissions.

True, I feel the same way about it.

There are a lot of things that are wrong with the very idea of batch scripting for security.
anonHacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by xelix on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:36 am
([msg=14797]see Re: The New EstBasic 10[/msg])

anonHacker wrote:
xelix wrote:Don't really like them, as they aren't much of a coding review. But an overall challenge, yes. Thanks for the submissions.

True, I feel the same way about it.

There are a lot of things that are wrong with the very idea of batch scripting for security.

Exactly. I do however like the concept. I would have never suggested such a thing, so it comes to my surprise that such has been implemented in a good way.
xelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by SpiderDude on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:58 am
([msg=14800]see Re: The New EstBasic 10[/msg])

i think this mission is broken
i solved extbasic 11 in a second, and i have considered the changes in script between 11 and 10, but it will not work

:P
Broken?
SpiderDude
New User
New User

Post by anonHacker on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:09 am
([msg=14801]see Re: The New EstBasic 10[/msg])

SpiderDude wrote:i think this mission is broken
i solved extbasic 11 in a second, and i have considered the changes in script between 11 and 10, but it will not work

:P
Broken?

Not anymore, I think.
anonHacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:42 pm
([msg=15227]see Re: The New EstBasic 10[/msg])

It's still code review.. just not practical code review. There is an injection vuln in the script, however batch has no form of sanitation as far as I know. So it's not so much a vuln, but rather a overall flaw in the scripting language itself. However, it does teach you to read and comprehend some pretty complex batch scripting, which I find to be highly over-looked and underestimated. You don't always have a compiler for you language of choice on hand, but with batch scripting, all you need is notepad. ;)
Quite handy if I do say so myself.
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by xelix on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:14 pm
([msg=15231]see Re: The New EstBasic 10[/msg])

mutants_r_us_guild wrote:

It's still code review.. just not practical code review. There is an injection vuln in the script, however batch has no form of sanitation as far as I know. So it's not so much a vuln, but rather a overall flaw in the scripting language itself. However, it does teach you to read and comprehend some pretty complex batch scripting, which I find to be highly over-looked and underestimated. You don't always have a compiler for you language of choice on hand, but with batch scripting, all you need is notepad. ;)
Quite handy if I do say so myself.

Well, I've finished both of them. The first was still not much of a coding review, but rather looks like something the developer forgot to add, or didn't bother fixing. I also wouldn't call it complex, I'd rather term it as weird :)

The second took a matter of seconds with C, and PHP both. Really all there was to it was the need to check a few things, no real /programming/ was needed as implied.

They're still good challenges, I'm sure a lot of people will spend some time on them.
xelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by psmak on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:27 am
([msg=15586]see Re: The New EstBasic 10[/msg])

Hmmm, I copy/pasted the code into a bat file and played around a bit with injection until I got the heart warming "You have been authenticated. Welcome aboard!". However, posting my solution resulted in nothing, regardless of capitilization. I tried a few variations, which all work with the bat file, but none are accepted as The Right Answer. Any hints on the format that will actually give me some points? :)
psmak
New User
New User

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:01 am
([msg=15606]see Re: The New EstBasic 10[/msg])

pm me with your answer and Ill talk to anonhacker and comperr/another dev to see if a secondary method can be implemented. This is assuming your code works and is valid syntax.
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Extended Basics