Starting Python as my first language...

For the discussion of Perl, Python, Ruby, and PHP and other interpreted languages.

Starting Python as my first language...

Post by LupoBHS on Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:18 am
([msg=10839]see Starting Python as my first language...[/msg])

Hi, I just started learning Python and it's my first programming language and it's been taking me a while (3 months) to learn this language even though I'm a quick learner. I was just wondering how long does it usually take to get decently proficient at this language to maybe even get a job as a python programmer?

Also: I bought Magnus Lie Hetland's book on Beginning Python after I read his quick tutorial online and it's helping me a lot so far but there's just so much to this programming language but maybe that's how it is with all programming languages. :roll:
LupoBHS
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Starting Python as my first language...

Post by thedotmaster on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:18 pm
([msg=10860]see Re: Starting Python as my first language...[/msg])

10 years.
You can't become a programmer in a few hours, days or months - ignore what the books say.
Also, knowing the syntax *doesn't* make you a programmer.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by LupoBHS on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:51 am
([msg=10876]see Re: Starting Python as my first language...[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:10 years.
You can't become a programmer in a few hours, days or months - ignore what the books say.
Also, knowing the syntax *doesn't* make you a programmer.

Haha wow that sucks. But oh well I'm up for the challenge 8-). Programming is definantly something I want to do for the rest of my life. One more thing though, I want to learn several languages such as Perl, Javascript, Java, and C or C+ I was just wondering if these languages all have some similarity, that I can pick them up as soon as I become comfortable with Python after learning all the basics s like lists, dictionaries, loops and whatnot. How would you recommend I go about that?
LupoBHS
New User
New User

Post by Smeezinator on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:00 pm
([msg=11419]see Re: Starting Python as my first language...[/msg])

They're all somewhat similar logically and whatnot, but have different syntax rules and stuff. So once you know one it will be much easier to learn another. Although it gets easy to mix them up once you know a few, in my opinion :?
Smeezinator
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:11 pm
([msg=11423]see Re: Starting Python as my first language...[/msg])

Smeezinator wrote:They're all somewhat similar logically and whatnot, but have different syntax rules and stuff. So once you know one it will be much easier to learn another. Although it gets easy to mix them up once you know a few, in my opinion :?

That's right.
However you need to make sure that you don't get into bad habits now.
Firstly, do not learn C++ or Java as your first languages. You will not learn to program well.
However, you must not learn something like Visual Basic or any of the .NETs. This is simply because they'll get you into thinking the wrong way.
Also think about if you wish to go to university to study Computing or Computer Science. I am aiming for Cambridge or Durham and they both say that you ought not to learn the languages they teach you beforehand - or any other language like it. So if this is even the tiniest possibility then don't learn C++ or Java - and neither should be a first language.
One thing to note about python is you should always end a line with a ";". This is not necessary, but it will get you in to good habits. Moving from a Python with no ";"s to PHP or Pascal which need them is horrible.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by Power on Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:13 pm
([msg=14392]see Re: Starting Python as my first language...[/msg])

I am also starting python as my first language, although I allready know some HTML and java along with a few other languages its not much just basic simple stuff. Anyway I am reading straight offline from the python website on Programing for the non-programmers, and I found this link to be of much help so far... there are many other tutorials on the python website but i have read two so far and this one is looking like the way to go. I am not even halfway threw it and I have allready done about 15 programs with a little help. check it out. http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/
Power
New User
New User

Post by b1nd on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:01 am
([msg=17043]see Re: Starting Python as my first language...[/msg])

15 programs ay?

Code: Select all

print "hello world'

Code: Select all
loop=1
while loop==1:
    myString="hello World'
    print myString

that type of thing?
b1nd
New User
New User