How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?

Bad threads go here

Re: How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?

Post by Rijnzael on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:05 pm
([msg=11301]see Re: How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?[/msg])

It's not very easy to break WEP using Windows. You'd probably need one of the AirPcap adapters, which are terribly overpriced for their crappy performance and the existence of much cheaper, better alternatives. I'd suggest doing what someone else said and boot up a linux live CD with aircrack on it.
Rijnzael
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by MrMayhem on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:03 am
([msg=11479]see Re: How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?[/msg])

Backtrack with kismet, airsnort, aircrack and airmon will do that trick for WEP. Oh and macchanger. But remember its illegal if its not your own or you don't have permission...
MrMayhem
New User
New User

Post by spitzmacher on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:39 pm
([msg=12599]see Re: How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?[/msg])

Its seems pretty easy to do according to this youtube guy i stumbled across.
He's got some process to set it up but the videos are all there.
Take a look. Looks legit to me.
Link --> http://www.youtube.com/user/Babolatace
spitzmacher
New User
New User

Post by Vlox on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:14 am
([msg=12789]see Re: How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?[/msg])

atrius wrote:Depends on the kind of encryption, password, etc.

You could sit there and try lots of passwords (note: this is probably illegal).
From a purely theoritical viewpoint, wifi should: be encrypted, have strong passwords. So, if you want to break that, you'll need to find out how to a) work out the encryption, b) break said encryption, c) break password.

A few places to start looking:
google. Google is *the* place to be (and one of my few friends, so be nice to her. Yes, google is a her.) You'll need to know what to search, tho.. try 'cracking', 'wireless hacking', 'wireless sniffing'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security :: To break *anything*, you should know *how* that thing works. Learn. Go and read about wireless, how it works, how users are authenticated. Learn how the data is sent from a to b. Wikipedia is a good place to start (and dont forget the links at the bottom - they are a good place to go after youve read wiki :)

Try looking for pentesting. There are lots of places that will help you secure networks, and wifi pentesting (that is, deliberatly trying to penetrate your own network to discover its vunerabilities so you can fix them) is a fairly well discusses area, if you know where to go.

I think what you are asking is very similar to the question "how do i wardrive? What tools do i use?" Try finding the answers to that in google.

Some more things you might want to look at ::
Mac address / ip address spoofing
insecure.org
ethicalhacker.org

Please note, I dont think that using any of this information, slight as it may be, to break other peoples networks is a good (or leagal) idea. Use it for your own network to test and harden it, and for purely educational purposes.

google is a ger hmmm WTF do you do online.....
=The Means Accuse But The Results Excuse =MACHEOVELLIE=
Vlox
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by etgohomeok on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:31 am
([msg=13059]see Re: How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?[/msg])

It's possible with Windows and it's quite easy if you use the Commview for Wifi drivers. Search Youtube for "Commview Wifi WEP"
etgohomeok
New User
New User

Post by SunSpyda on Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:49 pm
([msg=13126]see Re: How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?[/msg])

There is a live Linux OS called Backtrack 3.

It is a OS that runs of the disk that specializes in security testing.

On KDE menu you will find SpoonWEP & Kismet. This is enough to crack WEP.

If you want to crack WPA or higher, the Aircrack-ng suite will probably be the best bet.

To crack a WEP password you gotta find out the targets BSSID.

Once you have done that you must capture IVs. When cracking 128bit WEP, I find that 20,000 is enough.

If the capturing is taking to long, you can inject packets to make your own traffic.

Once you have the packet capture file (PCAP) you then crack the key out of it.

If they have a MAC filterer, you can change your GNU MAC changer to get past it.

If this is done correctly you can crack a WEP key pretty quickly.
SunSpyda
New User
New User

Post by acantho on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:41 pm
([msg=38036]see Re: How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?[/msg])

HI first post here only just found the site.

But if you use a commbination of commview and aircrack-ng then gaining access to WEP secured networks is really quite easy.

I have a cracked version of commview, but the WEP key recovery part don't work as it should, however I have used comview to gather packets, used the node reassociation tool to force the sending of Broadcast packets and then used them to inject packets back in to the network thus increasing the amount of packets I was collecting.
After collecting the packets I then exported them in TCP or was it TPC format ? opened aircrack-ng 1.0 and used AircrackGUI I cracked the first of 5 WEP networks in seconds (spent a couple of hurs collecting packets) and have now cracked all 5 WEP networks in range - it is possible to crack the WPA networks as well, although I have not tried this yet, but the same tool you use for node reassociation also initiates a new key exchange thereby getting you the EAPOL keys (you need a minumum of 2) and a load of packets, along with a good word list and hope that the WPA networks are using standard dictionary passwords !

I could post a link as to where to download the cracked version of commview but not sure if that is allowed or not - so if an admin wants to say yes or no to that ......
acantho
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by DamegedSpy on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:34 am
([msg=38069]see Re: How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?[/msg])

/me drops a 50 Megatons warhead above the thread.
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:43 am
([msg=38070]see Re: How to gain access to a password protected wireless network?[/msg])

This thread is beyond dead. I know you're new, but it's general forum etiquette not to revive threads that haven't had responses for a long time. Let's let this thread pass peacefully into the afterlife, shall we?
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Graveyard