Basic Mission 9

Bad threads go here

Re: Basic Mission 9

Post by badcat on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:14 am
([msg=10299]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

I don't think that's a typo, it's there to see if you're studying your code.

Am I right in saying that we aren't actually using the code to alter the program, just entering a password to find another password, which is why you have to be so specific?

(coz if you go up a directory to get what you want yr browser's still in 8)

This thread pretty much gave me everything to pass this mission: The problem being that on this level and level 8, when I put the php in to the browser it came back as an unused url so many times. I don't know why I kept persisting but after a while it works, frustrating and head-numbing (and yeah one of the first things I did was put the right digit in).

For those that are still struggling it's that ssi wotsit has got to be bang on, it should be five extra characters including a number, then look where you should go to see the password
badcat
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by iHackU234 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:23 pm
([msg=10450]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Holy... crap... when they say you need to be exact, you need to be EXACT. Ridiculous. I understand they need the blocking page that only allows certain commands for security reasons, but man, it would have been a million times easier if it hadn't been there... I have one bit of information for anyone who is stumped: please realize that you can string commands together (such as, if i were to use the cd command that was mentioned so much in 8 but got no one no where, please realize that you can do things such as "cd ../myfile.htm"). If you don't know what i'm talking about, go look up Unix commands on google (that's what i did anyway). I hope that's not spoiling anything, but if you know enough to figure it out but can't seem to figure it out anyway (such as myself rofl), this should give you the push you needed.
iHackU234
New User
New User

Post by Tpp4 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:19 pm
([msg=10903]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

i think the reason i can't get 9 is because i never really got 8
i just kinda fooled around and somehow came up with the password
i didn't go through all the other stuff that the other people went thru either
i feel like i cheated and got cheated
can anyone tell me how 8 was supposed to work or maybe explain the logic behind the way it works
to me it is all just jiberish
HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED
Tpp4
New User
New User

Post by linkin_birdpark on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:57 am
([msg=11254]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

I don't wanna be spoiler so do remove what i say here if I am...

I solve this after reading so much posts in this thread. These are the message I got from this mission:
1. the script allows ../ then u find out it allows ../../ too, so does it allows some more??
2. Next, everyone talks of the word "EXACT" and yes, u must be logically correct, be careful of what u are thinking, do u make any mistake in your thinking? Think of what command u are typing in and where does it leads u to. U are reminded to be aware of the DIRECTORY, which mission's password u wanna get, so... draw a flow chart of your command if u still don't get it, u will see what your command should look like.

Think of giving instruction to lead a person to some place, u will tell him "from HERE, go straight, turn left, turn right...".
linkin_birdpark
New User
New User

Post by am3riknul on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:04 pm
([msg=11279]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

This is very simple .They no let u go to /basic/ dir for security reason and there u will go if u use ../ twice .But u need to use ../twice with something else

I hope i help u
am3riknul
New User
New User

Post by Zelth on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:09 pm
([msg=11295]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Finally done....the hints weren't that useful....except, the bold 9 struck me at the end...thanks a lot
Z~Epsilon
Newbie Programmer
Learned: HTML, XHTML, CSS
Learning: PHP, C++
Zelth
Poster
Poster

Post by _RamBo_ on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:42 pm
([msg=11348]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

I just completed mission9.. Everyone whos saying its easy are not correct. Well it wasnt for me, because i dont know anything. To complete the mission you have to think what your commands are doing, where i was going wrong was i didnt know what the "../" command actually done. But i re-read the first few pages, then relised that its effectivly going back 1 step. So you have to think 'Where you are and where you want to go' Just think what the commands do, obviously you know the commands to get in to the directory as you done it in mission8. Now if you already didnt understand what the "../" command done, now you should do.. So you have to work out how many steps back you need to go "should be obvious with everyone elses comments" Then after that where are you? and where do you want to go!

Hopfully my post will be abit easier to understand than some other peoples but its easier to think what to do when you know i guess
_RamBo_
New User
New User

Post by testb0t on Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:13 am
([msg=11550]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

tedd wrote:Oh, come on! That was so easy!
Don't forget about level 8 so soon.

Yup, this time you have to use previous mission to complete this one. Just this time, target level 9 folder.
testb0t
New User
New User

Post by Zelth on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:49 pm
([msg=11800]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

For Basic 9, everyone's been saying use ../../ twice, so that's easy. Next is, what comes after those ../../, there's definitely supposed to be something....(directory traversal) The password can't be in the level 8 directory, it has to be in the level 9 directory. But how to get there...

EDIT: spoiler removed.
Z~Epsilon
Newbie Programmer
Learned: HTML, XHTML, CSS
Learning: PHP, C++
Zelth
Poster
Poster

Post by Kilikus on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:51 pm
([msg=12118]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

I've read through all of the posts on this mission and it still confuses me. I understand that you need ../../ (its been said over and over again) but everytime I use a combination that can get me to the basic 9 directory it says I'm doing too much. If someone could PM me who understands this mission and I can send them what I've been typing that would help me out alot. Don't need the answer just need more answers other then "it involves two ../"

EDIT: alright found it finally (only about a day or so) big help for me....when they say look where you are look at everything to give you a hint even up top
Kilikus
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Graveyard