Underground Hacker Site

What Should I Put On My Underground Hacker Site?

Free Registration
23%
Missions
19%
Profiles
15%
Chat
13%
Ranks
11%
Bug Reports
9%
Store
1%
Donations
3%
Noob Filter System
6%

Total votes : 192

Re: Underground Hacker Site

Post by cen on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:17 pm
([msg=18607]see Re: Underground Hacker Site[/msg])

I wouldn't even try to implement missions at first - WAY too time consuming. You'll lose sight of getting the basic site working - I'd keep it simple for now...

As always, at first - KISS!

There's already LOTS of mission sites out there anyways, and they all basically do the same thing I think...

It would be like re-inventing the wheel for a car, without even having a chassis yet... ;)

Besides, you'll likely discover that MANY of your users/guests will spend most of their time trying to hack into your site - I'd give it time to make sure you have a GOOD base for the site first - It's better than having to rebuild everything all the time... And I'm sure this will be a GREAT learning experience throughout this time... ;)

My thoughts are that people would much rather see the "articles/how-to's" than play missions, they're much more useful.

But this is assuming that you're basically doing all the work yourself, if you have a team to help out, then it might not be a bad idea. Depends on your situation I guess...

I would still make sure the basic site is functional and customizable first though... ;)

Good Luck!
cen
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by BuTTHeaD on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:34 pm
([msg=18688]see Re: Underground Hacker Site[/msg])

Alright, but I'd need to put up some good rules though.
Thanks man.
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by godofcereal on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:19 am
([msg=18701]see Re: Underground Hacker Site[/msg])

You would need missions first, thats what sucks people in.
You may also want to try and find some staff.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:43 pm
([msg=19021]see Re: Underground Hacker Site[/msg])

i agree with GOC, you need some kind of draw
otherwise users will go to the site, see a few things, maybe check it out now and again, but not be regular users

something they can try every day will draw them in, in my oppinion more than say forums
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by cen on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:02 am
([msg=19029]see Re: Underground Hacker Site[/msg])

Don't get me wrong - Missions are certainly an asset...

But missions take time to develop properly - It takes time to build a good site with security - Who's gonna use the site when it works and looks like shit, but hey - At least you have a couple of missions in there... And one of them actually even has some potential - My buddy Dave liked it - He's 12, but cool eh!?!??

Seriously, if anything, it would likely just be a fad, and if you do implement something cool - A bigger and better site will likely just steal it anyways - Get the basics working first, smoothly - Then go for the gold.

Everyone's seen missions. People want a site with some functionality.... Otherwise, only people who actually know what they're doing will be on the site (if that) - That's right - all three of them... Two of them the designers... The other a friend... What's the fun in that? Who's learning?? No one. You've already failed your mission statement for the site. That's right, you heard correctly - YOUR FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT MISSION SUCKS!

Get the bugs worked out - A good mission takes a lot of planning (if not even a completely separate server) that will allow the users to solve it anyway they can think of - Not just one way, pissing everyone off. If you begin with the missions, you'll eventually just 'wrap it up' due to lack of patience and you'll be left with a shitty base that you'll likely never even fix - Soon, your code will end up looking like spaghetti - That is, of course - Assuming that you don't give up before that point...

In other words - If you can't already build packages like phpBB and osCommerce on your own - You're wasting your time - You'll never finish it - And if you do, it'll be a piece of shit - BUT, *if* you can build programs like this, then you already know what I'm talking about and don't even need to hear it - It's obvious. You already know better. ANYTHING worth while, begins with a well designed structure.

Take your time - Do it right from the beginning - Do your research - Implement the ability for missions to be integrated (this is certainly, at least arguably, important), but focus on getting at least 60-70% of the rest of the site working properly first before you even touch a single line of code for the missions. You'll likely find a few volunteers to help you out on the way anyways...

You'll be happier in the end - And more importantly, your guests will turn into permanent members, not people who sign in once and never return because the 'site' itself had nothing to offer but those same boring missions you see on dozens of sites - Oh wait, that's right - THEY CAN'T SIGN IN! You didn't design that!

You need a gimmick, and missions aren't it - You need something new that no one has seen before - You NEED it designed properly so it works. That takes planning and time - Why not build the site in the mean time? Instead of re-inventing the wheel... Going in circles with no direction...

If you can build the missions, then you shouldn't have much of a problem with building the site - What's that take? A month or two before you have a fairly good base?? You'll likely rebuild or at least heavily modify it later, but AT LEAST it's a start.

Hell, it can be done a LOT quicker if you know what you're doing - So why not just do it. Build a mission or two on the side when you're bored, if you must. You'll need to be constantly making them anyways - But FOCUS on the site itself, don't lose that until it's finished. If you do it right the first time, you WON'T NEED to rebuild it.

Don't be another 'tried and wasted' project - There's already enough of them out there...

Sorry if this came off a little rude - I wrote it quick, on a shitty day. I'm sorry.
I just hope you get the idea I'm trying to portray.
And of course, as always... It's just my opinion... ;)

I wish you luck either way.... And look forward to seeing what you develop... :D
cen
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by godofcereal on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:38 am
([msg=19035]see Re: Underground Hacker Site[/msg])

I get what your saying and know where your coming from. But can you think of anything really good that will bring people in and define it as a good site. I mean missions are good but they are limited by peoples abilities. And everywhere has forums.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by sidebottom on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:52 am
([msg=19040]see Re: Underground Hacker Site[/msg])

Aw man, this topic must be breaking HTS's heart.

Anyway...as with any business ask yourself: What need does it fulfill? What will make it different than all the others? Why would someone choose your site over another?
sidebottom
Poster
Poster

Post by cen on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:48 pm
([msg=19070]see Re: Underground Hacker Site[/msg])

Can you think of anything really good that will bring people in and define it as a good site.

I originally wrote a rather lengthy response to this, but in the end, I'm afraid I've decided to keep my secrets to myself for now. If I ever create my own hacking site, then you'll know what I mean... ;)

If I decide against it - I'll come back some day and post those ideas in hopes that someone may actually implement them.

Deal?

Until then - All I can say is this....

THIS IS what makes it so hard - Programming is ALWAYS the easy part - No matter how hard it may be... Nor does it really matter how much you actually know about programming, you can always pay someone else to actually do it.

What you use to get your users attracted to the site is up to you and can be implemented in numerous ways - HackThisSite (and others like it) seem to focus on missions. Google's focus is on it's search engine (now also Google Maps as well - This is a company that has moved 'beyond' it's original intent and is doing quite well at it). Good programming sites generally have a method for users to upload their own packages so others can try out their code (or buy it), etc...

It's really up to you to find your 'flavor of flash'. It will keep it unique among the rest and separate it which is why they'll come back...

Because they can get 'something' from you that they cannot get elsewhere...

Aw man, this topic must be breaking HTS's heart.

I doubt it, I bet they're hoping for someone to suggest something neat that they can try to implement first... ;)

Anyway...as with any business ask yourself: What need does it fulfill? What will make it different than all the others? Why would someone choose your site over another?

Exactly - Planning/research - Define your requirements and limitations... ;)
cen
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sidebottom on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:35 pm
([msg=19079]see Re: Underground Hacker Site[/msg])

cen wrote:Google's focus is on it's search engine (now also Google Maps as well - This is a company that has moved 'beyond' it's original intent and is doing quite well at it).

Actually, in the past few years Google's focus has switched to global domination.
sidebottom
Poster
Poster

Post by TheMindRapist on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:28 pm
([msg=19095]see Re: Underground Hacker Site[/msg])

sidebottom wrote:
cen wrote:Google's focus is on it's search engine (now also Google Maps as well - This is a company that has moved 'beyond' it's original intent and is doing quite well at it).
<br><br>Actually, in the past few years Google's focus has switched to global domination.

Because you can do evil without making money ;)
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Web Design