Cannot get past adds to view embedded links

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Cannot get past adds to view embedded links

Post by phinboy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:57 am
([msg=73620]see Cannot get past adds to view embedded links[/msg])

I just joined HTS today. I have a question that may be basic and/or obvious to most, but not to me. Whenever I try to click on a link that is embedded in text and underlined, it takes me to an advertisement. That is fine, I know that adds help pay for the site, but once you have seen the add site there appears to be no way to move past it to view the actual contents that the link is supposed to be pointing to. Hit the back button and you are back where you started. Click link again and you are back in the add. Seems there is no way out??? Is it possible that these are intended to be only adds, with no link to info on the topic?

For example, from the HTS Home Page the Intro paragraph contains an underlined link to "network security":

Hack This Site is a free ... of hacking articles and a huge forum where users can discuss hacking, network security, and just about everything. Tune in to the hacker underground and get involved with the project.

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
phinboy
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cannot get past adds to view embedded links

Post by weekend hacker on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:29 am
([msg=73626]see Re: Cannot get past adds to view embedded links[/msg])

I'm afraid those links are pure ads, they're not links we willingly send you to but are keywords automatically linked to by the ad provider. I know they can be quite annoying and maybe even easily confused with actual links but they pay for a huge portion of this site and we have no alternatives that'll pay as much.

I don't get the ads myself, but there should be a difference between how they look and how our own links look. For one, if there's a popup when you hover over it then its not ours(I also think they're underlined when you don't hover over them while our links just have a different colour than the text). I'd hope that the ad provider at least gives ads that are somewhat relevant to the topic at hand and may be educational but we have no control over that.

If it annoys or confuses you you can always install adblock plus or some alternative and it'll get rid of them(or possibly disabling javascript). But for every time you click on an ad we make a tiny amount of money that HTS desperately needs to keep running(servers and bandwidth cost money). Sometimes staff members pay out of pocket but most aren't in a financial situation that'll allow that(I know I'm not).
Whatever you choose to do, we won't judge you for it. We don't usually advertise it because we profit from it, but blocking ads is your right as an internet user.

(Whatever you do, do NOT try to game the system by automatically clicking a bunch of ads, it will not make us money but result in a ban)
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cannot get past adds to view embedded links

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:13 am
([msg=73629]see Re: Cannot get past adds to view embedded links[/msg])

Try browsing the site using https instead of http.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to Comments & Suggestions