Warning Basic missions (email block)

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Warning Basic missions (email block)

Post by eSoteRix on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:07 pm
([msg=64302]see Warning Basic missions (email block)[/msg])

*Unrelated Spoiler Alert*
I am currently working my way through the beginners missions. I found it out by myself, but since I am an uneducated boon I first tried giving it a .url extension (derp) to see if that worked. Doubleclicking this permanently blocked my actual email adress.. I'm not saying a lot of people will be this stupid, but then again, its kind of one mistake away.
Therefore I thought I'd suggest you to maybe change something in the script so that even when you use .url, it won't have those consequenses.

Thanks in advance,

e$oteRix
eSoteRix
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Warning Basic missions (email block)

Post by limdis on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:37 pm
([msg=64303]see Re: Warning Basic missions (email block)[/msg])

I tried duplicating this and failed. Not sure what you did here, and what exactly do you mean by:
eSoteRix wrote:permanently blocked my actual email adress..
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by eSoteRix on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:00 pm
([msg=64304]see Re: Warning Basic missions (email block)[/msg])

Thanks for your reply.

I'm glad it's not simply the .url then. Won't happen to others that easily I guess. But I am pretty sure its because I tried to open either the .url or the .html version of the script several times.

What I meant by blocked is, that on login it will send me to a page explaining the account has been blocked, because (I'm translating from dutch) it is most likely been used by someone to send out multiple spam mails.
I had used the account just before to register with the site, and right after trying to open the .url file a couple of times I got the block from Hotmail.

I was wrong about it being permanent, I can get the block lifted by notifying customer support through an internet form, but they are asking me to fill in information like the last 4 digits of my creditcard.
Sounds really strange to me, so Im waiting with that.
eSoteRix
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:06 pm
([msg=64306]see Re: Warning Basic missions (email block)[/msg])

eSoteRix wrote:Thanks for your reply.

I'm glad it's not simply the .url then. Won't happen to others that easily I guess. But I am pretty sure its because I tried to open either the .url or the .html version of the script several times.

What I meant by blocked is, that on login it will send me to a page explaining the account has been blocked, because (I'm translating from dutch) it is most likely been used by someone to send out multiple spam mails.
I had used the account just before to register with the site, and right after trying to open the .url file a couple of times I got the block from Hotmail.

I was wrong about it being permanent, I can get the block lifted by notifying customer support through an internet form, but they are asking me to fill in information like the last 4 digits of my creditcard.
Sounds really strange to me, so Im waiting with that.

Yeah I wouldn't even bother with that. Don't give them any personal information.

Just tried the mission and it works fine. Not sure why you were creating a .url extension as it's not needed for this mission.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by eSoteRix on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:00 pm
([msg=64307]see Re: Warning Basic missions (email block)[/msg])

You were supposed to create an html file, but I am very unfamiliar with code and was feeling my way through the mission, so I tried out .url and then .html.
Like you said, the mission actually worked and I completed it, but my account was blocked because it was suspected of sending out spammails. I know it happened in the 3 minutes or so that I was trying to create the right .html file, because I actually checked my email to see if the password that needs finding in the mission was sent there, and the account was already blocked.
eSoteRix
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:50 am
([msg=64313]see Re: Warning Basic missions (email block)[/msg])

eSoteRix wrote:You were supposed to create an html file, but I am very unfamiliar with code and was feeling my way through the mission, so I tried out .url and then .html.
Like you said, the mission actually worked and I completed it, but my account was blocked because it was suspected of sending out spammails. I know it happened in the 3 minutes or so that I was trying to create the right .html file, because I actually checked my email to see if the password that needs finding in the mission was sent there, and the account was already blocked.

Are you saying your actual email account was blocked? Because HTS has nothing to do with that. The mission won't actually even send you an email.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by eSoteRix on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:56 pm
([msg=64339]see Re: Warning Basic missions (email block)[/msg])

Yes, I know that completing the mission by creating an html file (like you're supposed to) won't actually send an email nor will it block your email account.
Guessing as to how it was supposed to be done, I created a .url file instead. After doubleclicking that a few times to see if that completed the mission (thinking I would be sent an actual email) I checked my email and it was blocked.

Again, I can't be sure it was due to spammin the .url I created, but it did coincide precisely. I posted here in the hopes that someone might figure out what I have done wrong to raise suspisions with Hotmail, and if so, change the mission so that it wouldn't happen to others who might make the same mistake of creating the url file.

If you're positive that creating a .url containing the script and my email adress couldn't have caused a block for suspected spammails, I'll take your word for it. Now to find a way to reactivate my account without giving away a bunch of personal details..
eSoteRix
New User
New User

Return to Comments & Suggestions