Updating?

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Updating?

Post by MNP_Hikaru on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 am
([msg=62082]see Updating?[/msg])

So, I was reading around the older posts in the forum and I stumbled up on this comment from two years ago:

godofcereal wrote:Completing all the mission wont make you a hacker unless your learning what your doing and understand it. And the realistics arent so realistic, they are out dated by at least 7-8 years.If you dont want to use tools then you will have alot of work to do.

Two years later leaves these missions a decade out of date. I'm wondering myself if this is true, and if not just about the realistic missions, then in terms of the other missions, do you guys think it would be a good idea to recreate some missions to account for changing in the way things work/the ways people do things now-a-days?
One of these days there's gonna be a real profound quote down here.
MNP_Hikaru
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Updating?

Post by acevic on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 am
([msg=62084]see Re: Updating?[/msg])

From what I've heard, new missions and a complete HTS re-code are on the way. The new missions should be up to date afaik.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by MNP_Hikaru on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:46 am
([msg=62085]see Re: Updating?[/msg])

I've seen a couple posts in terms of the recode, and I knew that they were making new missions, but I wasn't sure about updating old missions. Is there a section of HTS or the Forums where they are posting updates on the projects? Sorta like an RSS I suppose, or just a log of how it's going. I know I'd personally be interested in seeing the progress, and maybe offer help if the opportunity presented itself.
MNP_Hikaru
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by acevic on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:52 am
([msg=62086]see Re: Updating?[/msg])

Though informing the public about updates is not exactly Hackthissite's thing, you should be able to find certain updates on the main site. You could also try listening in on #comdev on irc.hackthissite.org. If you have any considerable skills you may be able to offer to HTS, you can always apply for a suitable position in the staff. Check out Kage's thread on the open call for staff and/or speak up on #comdev on irc.hackthissite.org.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by MNP_Hikaru on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:02 pm
([msg=62087]see Re: Updating?[/msg])

I already did apply. :D Unfortunately though, my resume is a bit lacking. Haha. Thanks, though!
MNP_Hikaru
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by limdis on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:14 pm
([msg=62089]see Re: Updating?[/msg])

Has there been any (serious) mention of live cd challenges? Duplicating say for example breaking WEP (although simple) would be some serious fun.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by mShred on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:08 pm
([msg=62093]see Re: Updating?[/msg])

The thing you gotta understand is that they aren't really outdated. I mean, yeah they are. But even if we threw zero days out for the missions, they'd be considered outdated fairly quickly. These missions can very well be realistic if the web developer is coding vulnerabilities similar to them. These missions aren't really for you to go and use the exact method used to complete them in real life. They're for you to learn to explore things and look for vulnerabilities.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Comments & Suggestions