Recode Codename

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Recode Codename

Post by Kage on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:11 pm
([msg=60100]see Recode Codename[/msg])

So, right now, we're in the process of recoding recode (I know, I know..). Ideally, we're looking at the following technologies:

  • G-WAN - C servlets
  • NodeJS - V8 Server-Side JavaScript
  • MongoDB - Document-style NoSQL data store

First of all, we need developers. Contact us in #comdev on the HTS IRC if you have serious experience with V8 JS (NodeJS in particular) and C (most especially G-WAN servlets).

Secondly, we need a codename. I'm thinking something akin to "resurrection." "Anastasis" sounds kinda cool, but I'm looking for that wow-factor. Any ideas?
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
User avatar
Kage
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:07 pm
Location: Inside The HTS Servers
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Recode Codename

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:20 pm
([msg=60103]see Re: Recode Codename[/msg])

Kage wrote:Secondly, we need a codename. I'm thinking something akin to "resurrection." "Anastasis" sounds kinda cool, but I'm looking for that wow-factor. Any ideas?

How about "Phlegethon", "Acheron", or "Cocytus", the three rivers Styx? These rivers were the passage out of the underworld, and being submersed in them granted invulnerability (This is how Achillies became invulnerable)
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Recode Codename

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:40 pm
([msg=60105]see Re: Recode Codename[/msg])

How about codename: Resurgence
User avatar
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 12:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Recode Codename

Post by Kage on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:59 pm
([msg=60107]see Re: Recode Codename[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:
Kage wrote:Secondly, we need a codename. I'm thinking something akin to "resurrection." "Anastasis" sounds kinda cool, but I'm looking for that wow-factor. Any ideas?

How about "Phlegethon", "Acheron", or "Cocytus", the three rivers Styx? These rivers were the passage out of the underworld, and being submersed in them granted invulnerability (This is how Achillies became invulnerable)


Interesting.. I like the sound of Acheron or Charon (the ferryman).

LoGiCaL__ wrote:How about codename: Resurgence


Sounds too much like Call of Duty.


Still welcoming more suggestions.
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
User avatar
Kage
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:07 pm
Location: Inside The HTS Servers
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Recode Codename

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:45 pm
([msg=60111]see Re: Recode Codename[/msg])

Kharon maby? Kharon is a different spelling of Charon, that looks a little cooler.

Another word that comes to mind is Ragnarok. In Norse mythology, Ragnarok ends with the world being flooded, and a handful of people repopulate the world. However, most people incorrectly believe Ragnarok to be the apocalypse, which may give the recode a bad light.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Recode Codename

Post by Vulpine on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:49 pm
([msg=60112]see Re: Recode Codename[/msg])

Magdalene - Mary Magdalene was supposedly the first person to witness Jesus' resurrection.

Samsara - Sanskrit for the Buddhist concept of continual change and rebirth.

Can't think of any more at the moment...
User avatar
Vulpine
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Recode Codename

Post by Kage on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:55 pm
([msg=60142]see Re: Recode Codename[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:Kharon maby? Kharon is a different spelling of Charon, that looks a little cooler.

Another word that comes to mind is Ragnarok. In Norse mythology, Ragnarok ends with the world being flooded, and a handful of people repopulate the world. However, most people incorrectly believe Ragnarok to be the apocalypse, which may give the recode a bad light.


Kharon, maybe, but it misses the "Ch" prefix that gives that sound. "Kh" almost gives it a "Karen" sound.

Ragnarok is way too played out.

Vulpine wrote:Samsara - Sanskrit for the Buddhist concept of continual change and rebirth.


Ooh, nice idea.


Keep 'em coming. We're also still looking for developers with serious experience in C and Node JS. irc.hackthissite.org #comdev
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
User avatar
Kage
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:07 pm
Location: Inside The HTS Servers
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Recode Codename

Post by Phantom Wolf on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:37 pm
([msg=60149]see Re: Recode Codename[/msg])

Kage wrote:Kharon, maybe, but it misses the "Ch" prefix that gives that sound. "Kh" almost gives it a "Karen" sound.

I thought they were pronounced the same, but I might be wrong.

Ragnarok wasn't the best idea I've had.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Recode Codename

Post by mShred on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:39 pm
([msg=60150]see Re: Recode Codename[/msg])

I'm feelin Samsara.
Image

For those about to rock.
User avatar
mShred
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Recode Codename

Post by Gatito on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:06 pm
([msg=60151]see Re: Recode Codename[/msg])

How about Phoenix for the theme of rebirth. Mythological creature that can revive/be reborn from its own ashes into a more glorious one, represents renewal & immortality and probably many other things I don't know.

Can't thing of anything else right now.


EDIT: On second thought....
User avatar
Gatito
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to Comments & Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests