The need for Change

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Re: The need for Change

Post by Slahd on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm
([msg=60240]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:You guys are fucking champions. Every God-damn one of you.

+1 Even I miss you. And I didn't know you well. Don't be gone too long please. I'm sure you'll come back.
r-ID wrote:I'm gonna brainstorm new ideas:<br><br>Hidden missions, where you actually try to hack HTS.

Isn't that what Realistic 16 (15?) is about? Or are you thinking about pages that can only be accessed through secret means that contain mission? If you're talking about the hidden webpages, then I'm all for it.

I still think that a way to get more people would be to make it more accessible. Such as in mShred's thread on making this site mobile. There's a shit ton of smartphone users. Making HTS accessible to them and their precious IPhones/Androids/etc. would definitely make this place get more attention. Also, if you guys want, I'll even put it on my new blog as websites I like. Hell, I put it on my Facebook and Twitter (If I can login to Twitter).

One more thing, I think this site could benefit from more people talking about it. If everyone here said at least one thing about HTS offsite, that'd add up to alot being said.
That's my two cents.

S

[EDIT] Removed a bad analogy.
CheckFINISHED checkFINISHED checkFINISHED
checkcheckcheck FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
checkcheckcheckcheckcheckcheck
FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
<Die the Death>!
<Sentence to Death>!
<Great Equalizer is The Death>!!
Slahd
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by tgoe on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:23 am
([msg=60364]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

... I have also noticed the absence of other moderators on the forum (tgoe, insomniacal, etc.).

I'm a busy man :) and I quit when Monica did.

Inexplicably, I still have mod powers.

After my resignation I was lured back to HTS by way of research into a possible "javascript keylogger". According to google, my write-up here is state of the art (lol).

I'm a huge fan of HTS but I think there's a fundamental problem with cohesiveness.

irc == idling == fail

This is a site funded by ads and donation. irc contributes *ZERO* dollars (and no googleability). 100% of HTS conversation should be truly public and on the forum.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:04 pm
([msg=60496]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

tgoe wrote:This is a site funded by ads and donation. irc contributes *ZERO* dollars (and no googleability). 100% of HTS conversation should be truly public and on the forum.

I couldn't agree with this more... Though I believe that there needs to be a place where you can just relax, and talk shoot-the-breeze with whoever is online, though I think the new Mumble server could replace IRC pretty well...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by sanddbox on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:28 pm
([msg=60516]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
tgoe wrote:This is a site funded by ads and donation. irc contributes *ZERO* dollars (and no googleability). 100% of HTS conversation should be truly public and on the forum.

I couldn't agree with this more... Though I believe that there needs to be a place where you can just relax, and talk shoot-the-breeze with whoever is online, though I think the new Mumble server could replace IRC pretty well...

Mumble also contributes zero dollars and no googleability.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by centip3de on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:00 pm
([msg=60522]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Mumble also contributes zero dollars and no googleability.

Touche.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by MNP_Hikaru on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:15 am
([msg=61750]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Well, I've been idly trolling around these forums for a little over 2 years now, and I think it's time to step up to the plate and start contributing. In terms of coding, I only know C++ (still learning it, to be honest), and in terms of scripting I only know HTML (and still learning that, really). I like some of the ideas being tossed around, and if anyone needs some help putting one or another into motion, I'd be happy to help - In the mean time I think I'll be brainstorming some ideas of my own. ;)

One thing I would like to point out though - I very much agree that a lot of things really need to be self taught, but the problem with us sending everyone who shows up on our door step to Google is that at that point, they don't need HTS. They just need Google. It might be a good idea to start putting more content on the site rather than just sending people elsewhere - HTS is supposed to be a place for people to learn as a community, but as things are we are more like an ad for Google. I'm not saying one way or the other really, but I am saying that we should definitely find a nicer balance between what we teach and what we send people to find.
One of these days there's gonna be a real profound quote down here.
MNP_Hikaru
Experienced User
Experienced User

Previous

Return to Comments & Suggestions