The need for Change

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Re: The need for Change

Post by mShred on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:07 pm
([msg=60060]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

@Vulpine, I'd be happy to help if you would like.
I like the ideas that are popping up. If anyone has anymore, feel free to shoot 'em out.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:54 am
([msg=60083]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

You guys are fucking champions. Every God-damn one of you.

I left without an explanation, and you all deserve much more than that. However, I can't say much more. Use your imagination, but keep it to yourselves. I do have some things to say, though:

HTS is not me. I am not HTS. There have been many people before me who have done much greater things for this site. Better devs, more attentive mods, more influential leaders. I don't know why or how I got to where I am, and I will be the first to say that there are others who could have done a much better job than I.

The reason HTS is still alive is not because of any particular person. I might have helped, but had I never joined in the first place it might be better or worse. Who's to say? I am certain, however, that HTS survives because of the community as a whole. Mods come and go, devs come and go, and individual members come and go, but the spirit of HTS lives on.

This is evident in threads like this. Shit goes down, and after an initial "OMG WAT DO!?" phase, the gears start turning and things get done. New mods replace the old, content gets added, and the overall makeup of HTS changes for the better. Even if, five years down the road, none of the current staff are here, the new staff will be comprised of the old members.

And who knows where HTS will be in five years? I would like to be a part of it, but there is not a lot of certainty in my life right now. In a weird way, HTS has defined myself more than the reverse. I like to think that I will still be able to recognize the mood of HTS later on in life, regardless of who is here, and see a bit of myself in it. In the same way, I hope that I have become a better person because of all of you.

You guys really have no idea how much I fucking love this place. To even attempt to quantify it in words would diminish the meaning to the point of being mere babble. I have checked in a few times over the last month, just making sure things were going alright. Today, however was different. I saw this thread and I shit you not, I was crying my fucking eyes out by page two. The fact that real people with real lives miss me and that I have made a positive change in those lives... that means the world to me.

So what now?

@sanddbox: You probably do have my number. Get it from the PBX? Forget it. Calling me won't do anyone any good. And if you absolutely need to contact me, you know how to find me. Think of my banhammer. Bro <3.

@Kage: Ignore the haters. I know how much you do. You know how much you do. Keep me in mind should I come back later. Say hey to J for me.

@fashizzlepop: You'll do well. Glad to see you're handling things like I taught you.

@Bren: Keep up the recode. You may not be Linus, but you stepped up to the plate and stuck with it.

@Everyone: Keep doing what you do. HTS will survive with or without me, but if you lose hope now it's over. The fact that you guys didn't get all depressed and shit over me fills me with confidence. Move on, innovate, help people, spread knowledge, and for fuck's sake don't do anything stupid.

Well, there are tons of things I probably forgot to say, and many things I could have said much better. I wrote this all in one shot, with little revision. I seriously love this place, the people, the idea, everything. It hurts like nothing else to leave, but for now this is what I need. I'll leave you guys with this:

Yes, that little fucker is me =D

-- Goatboy
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by mShred on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:01 am
([msg=60084]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

God damn.. That was probably the most inspirational post I have ever read. Goatboy, with or without you, you will continue to have an influence here. I think I speak for everyone when I say, you do what you gotta do. But we'll be waiting for whenever/IF you ever come back. You've definitely made a difference in my life.
But he's completely right. What matters is what everyone does now. In five years, HTS could be running with completely different people. But for now, we need to do what we need to do. And for all the staff doing what they do, i second Goatboy's props to you guys. And everyone working with HackThisSite. +1 for everyone in HTS.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:14 am
([msg=60086]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:HTS will survive with or without me, but if you lose hope now it's over.

This community will never loose hope. Look at HTS's history, most sites wouldn't survive that. We're in a rut right now, but we'll dig out of it sooner or later. So don't worry about us and do whatever you have to, just make sure to check in every now and then so we know our favorite goat didn't end up in the sale barn.

Seriously, though, probably the best post I ever read. And props to everyone here, even if you're not directly contributing anything, simply starting a discussing is helpful in some ways.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by r-ID on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:53 am
([msg=60092]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

I'm gonna brainstorm new ideas:

I think Hackipedia instead of articles section is better. It might be far more organized and the accuracy of information can always be upgraded.

Video tuts. I do like to see video better then to read papers, i think a lot of ppl do. It's very effective way to learn. It's not hard to make short video and put it on youtube. Embed in HTS and add commenting system, so that ppl can ask questions there.

Hackipedia with video tuts would be great.

If you guys really badly need some money, we could organize some penetration testing service. That's of course last solution i want to see here. And i think it is a bad idea. Well just in case i hope that never happens.

Hidden missions, where you actually try to hack HTS.

It looks like there is nothing going on this site, that's why people thinks that hts is dead (or dying) and that changes are needed.
Some kind of subscription would be good, rss or mailing, were you can get latest activity like: video added, site news (it is already), article written, new mission come out, etc. I could make an iPhone app, just i need some activity, at least, 1-2 post per week, that would be great, you get fresh news directly to your phone with the link to the article or video. If such activity can't be reached, we might share good information written be others.

I think the key to success is activism. Do something, let the people to do something too, let them know how are you doing. Organize, do it, publish it.

Some ideas might seem radical, but i think such changes are needed. Web is no more a place with static information, it's a living and communicating system.

Of all the ideas I would really like to see video material here, I don't have much free time, but I might make an video or two myself.
r-ID
Poster
Poster

Post by acevic on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:24 pm
([msg=60096]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:You guys are fucking champions. Every God-damn one of you.

I left without an explanation, and you all deserve much more than that. However, I can't say much more. Use your imagination, but keep it to yourselves. I do have some things to say, though:

HTS is not me. I am not HTS. There have been many people before me who have done much greater things for this site. Better devs, more attentive mods, more influential leaders. I don't know why or how I got to where I am, and I will be the first to say that there are others who could have done a much better job than I.

The reason HTS is still alive is not because of any particular person. I might have helped, but had I never joined in the first place it might be better or worse. Who's to say? I am certain, however, that HTS survives because of the community as a whole. Mods come and go, devs come and go, and individual members come and go, but the spirit of HTS lives on.

This is evident in threads like this. Shit goes down, and after an initial "OMG WAT DO!?" phase, the gears start turning and things get done. New mods replace the old, content gets added, and the overall makeup of HTS changes for the better. Even if, five years down the road, none of the current staff are here, the new staff will be comprised of the old members.

And who knows where HTS will be in five years? I would like to be a part of it, but there is not a lot of certainty in my life right now. In a weird way, HTS has defined myself more than the reverse. I like to think that I will still be able to recognize the mood of HTS later on in life, regardless of who is here, and see a bit of myself in it. In the same way, I hope that I have become a better person because of all of you.

You guys really have no idea how much I fucking love this place. To even attempt to quantify it in words would diminish the meaning to the point of being mere babble. I have checked in a few times over the last month, just making sure things were going alright. Today, however was different. I saw this thread and I shit you not, I was crying my fucking eyes out by page two. The fact that real people with real lives miss me and that I have made a positive change in those lives... that means the world to me.

So what now?

@sanddbox: You probably do have my number. Get it from the PBX? Forget it. Calling me won't do anyone any good. And if you absolutely need to contact me, you know how to find me. Think of my banhammer. Bro <3.

@Kage: Ignore the haters. I know how much you do. You know how much you do. Keep me in mind should I come back later. Say hey to J for me.

@fashizzlepop: You'll do well. Glad to see you're handling things like I taught you.

@Bren: Keep up the recode. You may not be Linus, but you stepped up to the plate and stuck with it.

@Everyone: Keep doing what you do. HTS will survive with or without me, but if you lose hope now it's over. The fact that you guys didn't get all depressed and shit over me fills me with confidence. Move on, innovate, help people, spread knowledge, and for fuck's sake don't do anything stupid.

Well, there are tons of things I probably forgot to say, and many things I could have said much better. I wrote this all in one shot, with little revision. I seriously love this place, the people, the idea, everything. It hurts like nothing else to leave, but for now this is what I need. I'll leave you guys with this:

Yes, that little fucker is me =D

-- Goatboy

I am just speechless. This is undoubtedly the most inspirational post on HTS. We will do whatever is needed to keep this community alive and still will be in high hopes of you coming back. I will say no more.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by Kage on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:33 pm
([msg=60097]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:...

Dude, wtf.. Don't go. :(

Also, get on IRC and contact me. I'm online all day. We must chat before you depart.
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mShred on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:46 pm
([msg=60108]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

r-ID wrote:Of all the ideas I would really like to see video material here, I don't have much free time, but I might make an video or two myself.

I like the ideas of videos, but I feel some people will get into the habit of just showing what to do rather than not explaining how something works. I work probably contribute to the videos as well. Even if there is no specific place dedicated to the videos, you could probably just put one up on youtube and then put a link in here, maybe in a post or an article.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by r-ID on Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:43 pm
([msg=60109]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Theory can be added before video or as text or in the video itself. Video can highly upgrade learning, it's a lot faster to learn from videos. :) And I'm not afraid of that. :) I wish to learn :) Sometimes i read an hour or two, but once i see it, i understand it completely.
r-ID
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:28 pm
([msg=60110]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

r-ID wrote:Theory can be added before video or as text or in the video itself. Video can highly upgrade learning, it's a lot faster to learn from videos. :) And I'm not afraid of that. :) I wish to learn :) Sometimes i read an hour or two, but once i see it, i understand it completely.

I suppose different people have different ways of learning. I feel like if we have different ways for people to learn, we'd branch out to more people.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Comments & Suggestions