The need for Change

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Re: The need for Change

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:30 am
([msg=60021]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

mShred wrote:The rep system, it seems like a lot of us would get bad reps by the one posters that come in an ask for whatever. Unless we had a certain post of rep count to be able to vote.

If you read my first post, I mentioned that. Users would need a certain rep and/or post count to be able to vote. Also, voting down someone should cost some of your own rep.

As for the live CD, perhaps this project should be started separate from HTS, and merged later? Would anyone be able to host such a project?
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by mShred on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:36 am
([msg=60022]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:If you read my first post, I mentioned that. Users would need a certain rep and/or post count to be able to vote. Also, voting down someone should cost some of your own rep.

Ah, my apologies. Maybe if the dev team considers it, they could workout all of the little details within it.
As for the live CD, perhaps this project should be started separate from HTS, and merged later? Would anyone be able to host such a project?

I think it should be started now and then submitted for integration later. But we can still release it here whether or not it is completely backed up.
I'll definitely contribute as much as i can to the project. I could even contribute to hosting it, that is if no one else is willing. Also, to my knowledge, it was initially Vulpine's idea. So i'd vote him for the host dibs. Just my opinion.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by acevic on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:33 am
([msg=60023]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Wow. This post has raged overnight. I don't have time to look at all the posts atm but I will have a look and reply hopefully by tonight. HTS needs such members like you all to grow into the best hacker community on the web. I am really happy that this is going through.

About Fashizzlepop...It's going to be a bit harder to manage things around here with the most active mod gone. He did a great job while he was around and hats off to him for doing so. I too vote for many of the active users on this post with regard to becoming new moderators.

I will edit this post later or make a new post with regard to the previous posts made.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by Brendan2011 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:47 am
([msg=60028]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Gatito wrote:As of acevic's lecture, in my humble opinion, from the outside it looked like the staff was slacking off and didn't care at all...(putting Goatboy's will to help aside).

That hurts me. :( I had never even heard that Acevic wanted to give a lecture. Leroux and I are the most active ones in working with HTS's comm systems, and neither of us were told. If he had contacted us, we would have started immediately. Or, if he had sent a private message to a moderator, or admin, it would have gotten relayed with time. Point is: I'm an IRC person. I like the immediate gratification. I do get on the forums occasionally though and read through posts when I have the time. Usually by then, however, an issue has already been given up on. Conclusion: IRC, Email, private message -- all better ways of contacting admins and devs than posting a thread on the forums that's not really directed to anybody.

Also, I will read through Acevic's thread on his lecture and contact him about setting it up.

Gatito wrote:Sanddbox being the only mod left I think we need temporally ones to fill in. I vote for mShred,Vulpine & Centip3de.

mShred and Vulpine are free to send in their applications if they wish. We'll try to get an admin to interview them.
Brendan2011
New User
New User

Post by Gatito on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:04 am
([msg=60029]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

@Bren

I don't even know who Leroux is. To be honest I don't know anyone besides you, Kage and thetan working on the recode not to mention other projects I'm completely oblivious and I know there are a lot of people besides me who think alike. The staff lists on the main site and here in the forums are totally outdated so I would suggest an update saying who is responsible for what and how I can contact him.

Thanks.
Gatito
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:26 pm
([msg=60033]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Gatito wrote:I don't even know who Leroux is.

You'd find him on IRC. To be honest, i get on IRC at times but it seems kinda pointless.. It's usually just apples and a couple other people taking part in all of the talking.
@Bren, maybe you could help us with acevic's lecture?

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sanddbox on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:31 pm
([msg=60034]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

mShred wrote:
Gatito wrote:I don't even know who Leroux is.

You'd find him on IRC. To be honest, i get on IRC at times but it seems kinda pointless.. It's usually just apples and a couple other people taking part in all of the talking.
@Bren, maybe you could help us with acevic's lecture?

I plan to help with the lecture. I'm talking to Leroux about it as well.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by mShred on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:35 pm
([msg=60036]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:I plan to help with the lecture. I'm talking to Leroux about it as well.

I think acevic will probably be happy to hear that.

Brendan2011 wrote:mShred and Vulpine are free to send in their applications if they wish

I had applied for the Promoter position not that long ago, but never heard anything of it.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by acevic on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:50 pm
([msg=60042]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Bren already sent me a PM. I am not just happy. I am elated. It's good to get some real support from the HTS staff now. I am on IRC with sanddy as I am typing in this post. Thank you guys. I really appreciate the contribution and I cannot emphasize on that enough.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by Vulpine on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:44 pm
([msg=60047]see Re: The need for Change[/msg])

Gatito wrote:I didn't mention it earlier Vulpine but your HTSliveCD is very original and interesting but requires a lot more work than a HTS book.

Nothing too original about it. Pen-Testing images have been around, albeit rarely, for some time. The problem that most of them had, however, is that they were surrounded by skeletal on-line communities that were tucked back in some obscure corner of the Internet. They also tended to be largely incomplete.

Gatito wrote: I can't see how more participants make working on it cumbersome as you put it. What I mean is that you should be happy that so many people share your idea and want to help you making it happen. They will learn something by doing it and you have your project a step further. And if they don't make it no problem you didn't lost anything, but there has been activity. You help HTS and HTS helps you. Win-Win situation here.

Finding an effective means of sharing a project like that between multiple people would be necessary. I'm so accustomed to doing my own thing, that I've never explored any of the myriad of collaboration platforms that may be available.

Phantom Wolf wrote:I think it should be started now and then submitted for integration later. But we can still release it here whether or not it is completely backed up.

Agreed. Once a functional point is reached, it would be submitted to a site admin/mod to peruse and make a decision regarding its integration with the main site.

mShred wrote:For the LiveCD idea, I think we could combine both ideas. There could be a dedicated team for the main project. Said team would release the starting/beta versions while anyone else could look at the project, make adjustments and send them into the original team who would take everything into consideration. That way it's completely open, but not to the point where anyone can mess it up. Kinda like the recode for HTS but without all the scare of it.

I'm game for that. Someplace to host the work in progress would be needed though, which, as above, I'm cripplingly ignorant of.

I'm still fairly occupied with the semester coming to a close next week but after that, I'll have a lot more free time to jump on this.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Comments & Suggestions