According to McAfee...

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

According to McAfee...

Post by Kwing on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:58 pm
([msg=52714]see According to McAfee...[/msg])

Taken from SiteAdvisor (which I don't trust, as I've gone to websites they've okayed and gotten viruses):

When we tested this site we found links to wigle.net, which we found to be a distributor of downloads some people consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs.

I would think links to this kind of stuff would be closely monitored on a site like this. I know that being a new member my words don't carry a whole lot of weight, but I'd like to know if this site is entirely safe.
Kwing
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: According to McAfee...

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:59 pm
([msg=52728]see Re: According to McAfee...[/msg])

As long as people aren't blatantly posting direct downloads of virii, we don't really care too much. For a while tools like Cain & Abel and nmap were marked as "bad" by some site-monitoring tools. The same thing is being applied here. Exercise caution and you will be fine.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by tremor77 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 pm
([msg=52849]see Re: According to McAfee...[/msg])

This biggest sponsor of adware in the world is Google Adsense banner ads... there is no avoiding it. Even on the most legitimate of websites if they are hosting ads of any kind that are served dynamically, they could potentially be an adware download.

Additionally, toolbars and widgets are all just absolutely terrible.. For instance where I work everyone downloads The Weather Channels "WeatherBug" - WeatherBug for sure.. the biggest pile of crap adware, yet everyone is like.. It can't be bad it's from The Weather Channel. Well screw you WeatherChannel you adware sons of bitches... (*rant complete*)

Anyway, to get back on topic.. HTS is for the most part safe, and.. as a community website, it sometimes can not manage to moderate or be responsible for all the contest that could possible be posted or found in various areas... I'm sure that's in the disclaimer somewhere..
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McAfreak on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:14 am
([msg=55421]see Re: According to McAfee...[/msg])

Yeah, I'm with the other two on this one. Just exercise caution and you should be just fine. I also don't trust SiteAdvisor too much. It can often be overly paranoid or overly lenient. Both are annoying. I stick with Avast when I have to use a Windows computer. So far I haven't had problems with them.

One tool I might recommend is Web of Trust, which is useable with Firefox. While it isn't always the best, you can usually get a good idea of the trustworthiness of a site. I do have issues with there being only four categories and those four not being exhaustive. Even then, though, take everything with a grain of salt.
McAfreak
New User
New User

Post by Kage on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:44 pm
([msg=56056]see Re: According to McAfee...[/msg])

I tried to contest SiteAdvisor's ratings of HackThisSite, but their shit sucks.. ..badly. Their interface is horrible, they have no customer support, and from everything I've researched, once you make their red-list shit-list for whatever reason, they don't give a flying fuck what you request.
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Comments & Suggestions