HTS Needs to Stop Sucking

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking

Post by Kage on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:20 pm
([msg=52609]see Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:
Kage wrote:1) You're not in any of the ones we're actively discussing projects in, at least not when I'm present (which is frequent and random between 9am and 10pm EST). If there's a time you want to specifically meet with me, let me know, you have methods to contact me. And Dec 2nd? Dude, we talked 4 or 5 days ago.

Uh, what? I'm in #modtalk, #mods, and #comdev, which are all of the moderator staff channels. I have no idea what other channels you would want me to join (except for #devtalk, which I don't have access to).

Also, can I have some actual reasons as to why financial transparency without being a nonprofit is bad?

First one: Mod channel, I don't dicuss moderator stuff unless needed, so obviously I don't talk often in there.
Second one: Wtf is #mods ?
Third one: I think that channel's been dead for a long, long time.

We typically talk in #stafftalk or #bren2010. You can see both of these listed if you /whois me. Like I said before, there seems to be more excuses than simply figuring things out, since you could've easily asked around or explored my /whois to find any of this out.

There's a lot of reasons why non-NPO financial transparency is bad, including legal recourse and ramifications, contributer privacy, etc. One thing I do wonder, though: Why am I the only admin to ever be questioned about financial transparency? No other admin ever in HTS's history has been asked this, so why now?
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by sanddbox on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:32 pm
([msg=52612]see Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking[/msg])

I am banned from #bren2010 and have no access to #stafftalk (nor did I know it existed). Are you seeing the point yet?

As to accusations of financial transparency, I cannot answer that, but what I will say is that a) I was not with HTS during NQ or Jeremy's administrator days, and b) HTS was considered much better in the past. It's irrelevant anyway, and this victim mentality frustrates me.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Kage on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:38 pm
([msg=52613]see Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:I am banned from #bren2010 and have no access to #stafftalk (nor did I know it existed). Are you seeing the point yet?

As to accusations of financial transparency, I cannot answer that, but what I will say is that a) I was not with HTS during NQ or Jeremy's administrator days, and b) HTS was considered much better in the past. It's irrelevant anyway, and this victim mentality frustrates me.

As stated in IRC: First one is a dev's channel, not my call on access. Second one, might be locked to devs only, you'll have to ask ScrAm why. And no, I don't see any point except you trying to find something to bitch about. But since you've been sitting here and claiming all these wild things you assume are true with barely 6 months of staff involvement, please, enlighten me as to why you're probably certain I am the "victim" here. Please, doc, give it to me straight.
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sanddbox on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:45 pm
([msg=52616]see Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking[/msg])

Code: Select all
<@Kage> I don't know, obviously I'm just some fucking victim who has no idea what's going on.
<@Kage> Take it up with ScrAm, because you've officially made me not give a fuck about you or your opinions.

You have the audacity to accuse me of bitching?

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Goatboy on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:48 pm
([msg=52617]see Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking[/msg])

Topic has lost sight of the original goal.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:56 pm
([msg=52618]see Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking[/msg])

Definitely. I thought bitching was for IRC.

Back to the basics: what are the current steps being taken to progress the recode, and who will remain as dev/lead dev?

Also, who is there to talk to about helping with the recode?
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Wells on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:44 am
([msg=52632]see Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking[/msg])

Brendan2011 wrote:If Facebook simply used MySQL and said 'oh well', they would not have written Cassandra, which is the only way they could bare the rapid growth and distrobution of the information in their database.

If the developers of CodeIgniter didn't make what they did because CakePHP already existed, this debate wouldn't be going on.

If Google didn't write Bigtable to deal with the petabytes of data they store, do you think we would even have Google?

Now, I understand that I just mentioned a bunch of companies, but I find that irrelevant. Were they not groups of people with a problem and the skills to solve it?

The problem with this is that all of these companies had non-standard requirements as far as performance goes. Facebook has surpassed google in terms of page impressions, they deal with huge amounts of traffic. Google deals with huge amounts of traffic and has the most advanced search algorithms in the world.

HackThisSite is just a website with a standard/low amount of traffic. We don't need some advanced distributed database or a framework that is a few ms faster than a free alternative. We just don't need that. The MVC framework is not going to be where your bottlenecks are anyway. Once again, the focus should be on productivity, not squeezing a minute amount of performance from something that isn't a big bottleneck to start with.

-- Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:53 am --

Kage wrote:Further, Wells keeps talking of "CodeIgniter does badass DB shit!", well that's cool, except we're not using MySQL, at all. CodeIgniter has no provisions for MongoDB, LDAP, or anything else that we're already provisioned for.

Uh that's not true. There are drivers out there for mongodb and libraries for LDAP. You think you have some special requirements which isn't true. You also think this framework is basically finished, which clearly isn't true. I've already pasted the code you use for generating URLs. If you write code like this it's going to become an unmaintainable mess. If you try and fix things and improve the design, you're wasting time on stuff that's already been made elsewhere.

Anyway, you've clearly made your decision so I'll politely wish you good luck, even though I can see already that Bren doesn't have much time to work on the site due to school work. This is the problem with hiring school children.

I mean seriously, you expect to get a quality site developed by 14 year old school children? Just take a step back and look at the situation. School kids are writing an MVC framework from scratch. What experience do they have developing well-designed and maintainable code? That takes years of experience writing code professionally.
Wells
New User
New User

Post by mutantsrus on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:39 am
([msg=52643]see Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking[/msg])

Defience wrote:
Bren2010 wrote:.....and hope to have this blogging engine feature-complete by August of this year. After that we can immediately begin work on the main recode effort.

:shock: kiyoura, xelix, droptable, MrBear, thedotmaster, Bren2010, (To Be Announced).

Wait.. what? What is that list for?
Xelix?! I haven't seen him since he ragequit oh so long ago.
mutantsrus
New User
New User

Post by NightQuest on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:00 am
([msg=52645]see Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking[/msg])

mutantsrus wrote:Wait.. what? What is that list for?
Xelix?! I haven't seen him since he ragequit oh so long ago.

I assume (in no specific order) the past lead devs.
NightQuest
Developer
Developer

Post by goluhaque on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:18 pm
([msg=52649]see Re: HTS Needs to Stop Sucking[/msg])

Alright, alright, let's just modulate some important facts and stop the flamewar, shall we?
From what I think,

-->BlueElephant should be continued(with some documentation)
-->The blog, should be there, but I don't think much time should be wasted on it.
-->A clear list of responsibilities & the access to places should be made clear to all devs, mods, admins etc. to avoid future problems and disputes regarding jurisdiction & responsibilities.

Feel free to add on as much points as you like. Let's just come to an important decision, and learn from mistakes, rather than flaming each other for it.
(23:45:03) hauk: I guess you are over the best part of your life when 4-year-olds say "Are you an evil man?"
(23:46:19) hauk: and "Ima punch you in the pecker"
goluhaque
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Comments & Suggestions