Application missions

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Application missions

Post by xhor on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:28 am
([msg=46750]see Application missions[/msg])

The current missions are too easy and really have no bearing on the real world and as such don't teach people real skills other than puzzle solving (which I like too, don't get me wrong). I understand if you don't want to encourage illegal things but it would be on the same ground as most of the realistic missions. There are still countless websites which are open to sql injections or rfi, xss, csrf, etc.

Maybe people who post crackmes at the eponymous site could allow their stuff to be hosted, or make new things specifically. Or decade old windows software with copy protection which is now disowned by the author could be targets.

Another interesting thing which would admittedly be harder to enforce is make applications where people need to discern how certain structures or classes are composed.

Reversing is still a major part of hacking even though web hacking is en vogue these days, so I think some more (challenging) missions would be well received.
xhor
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Application missions

Post by Monica on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:06 am
([msg=46752]see Re: Application missions[/msg])

Understandable, and we know this. Once again, there will be new HTS projects, including new mission development. Feel free to code a mission and send to: Monica@HackThisSite.org
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by xhor on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:50 am
([msg=46756]see Re: Application missions[/msg])

Thanks Monica. I will consider it. I'm curious about what kind of backend is used to verify mission solutions? For example in application 18 there was obviously a custom program that parsed the files uploaded. If you're comfortable with saying what language and platform these custom programs would/could run on, it would make possible mission designs and solutions more focused.
xhor
New User
New User

Post by Monica on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:13 am
([msg=46762]see Re: Application missions[/msg])

Mission verification is coded in PHP. Feel free to submit any kind of mission, as we're always looking for newer ones! Do NOT worry about verifying completion. We do that for you.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Comments & Suggestions