Skype groups?

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Skype groups?

Post by dodobirdies on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:35 pm
([msg=37441]see Skype groups?[/msg])

Hey all just wondering anyone host skype groups for hacking discussions and such. I find that skype is a very good tool for beginners to interact and learn quickly and not to mention getting to know others.... although there is security issues with skype or other messengers but anyway hope to hear back with inputs.
dodobirdies
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Skype groups?

Post by sanddbox on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:37 pm
([msg=37463]see Re: Skype groups?[/msg])

This would actually be interesting if it could be successfully implemented (meaning more than 3 people and some actual interesting discussions going on).

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Crunchbite on Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:04 am
([msg=39908]see Re: Skype groups?[/msg])

A forum I previously administrated implemented an idea similar to this one. It was so popular that it almost killed the forum completely. It was just much more convenient to hop into voice discussions with other members.

On a larger scale, to the the degree that this site is, I think it would actually make a nice addition, though. But then again irc is very convenient as well.

If this idea survives more than a few posts someone contact me and I will do all I can to help get the ball rolling.
"I will teach you the way of the open keyboard, young one...I have helped many pupils achieve zen...and for only SEVEN easy payments of $19.99, I can give you FREE hacking lessons!" -sanddbox
Crunchbite
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:44 am
([msg=39914]see Re: Skype groups?[/msg])

We had something similar a long time back. We had those "Lessons" or something like that, where a senior member discussed something cool. I think that if we scheduled speakers and such we could probably get something going.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Goatboy on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:28 am
([msg=39926]see Re: Skype groups?[/msg])

Lectures. I'm casually coding a LectureBot in Perl for the IRC. Basically it reads a script, which can contain not only the text of the lesson, but also commands, which are lines starting with a colon. So you could have an intro, followed by ":pause X" which waits X seconds, then continues the lesson. Another one will be ":qna" which stands for "questions and answers" and appropriately enough asks if anyone has questions, resuming once I send it a PM command.

I think voice would be easier, but others would need to be muted while the lecturer is speaking, for obvious reasons.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:44 am
([msg=39930]see Re: Skype groups?[/msg])

Might be interesting, though the only skype conversations I've had with people from here turned into pointless chatter fairly quickly xD.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by sanddbox on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:45 am
([msg=39931]see Re: Skype groups?[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:Might be interesting, though the only skype conversations I've had with people from here turned into pointless chatter fairly quickly xD.

Well, the same happens with IRC anyway...

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:55 pm
([msg=39935]see Re: Skype groups?[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:Lectures. I'm casually coding a LectureBot in Perl for the IRC. Basically it reads a script, which can contain not only the text of the lesson, but also commands, which are lines starting with a colon. So you could have an intro, followed by ":pause X" which waits X seconds, then continues the lesson. Another one will be ":qna" which stands for "questions and answers" and appropriately enough asks if anyone has questions, resuming once I send it a PM command.

I think voice would be easier, but others would need to be muted while the lecturer is speaking, for obvious reasons.

That's a reall cool idea. I am into perl and would love to see some of your code. I would be very interested in helping if you like.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Monica on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:11 pm
([msg=39961]see Re: Skype groups?[/msg])

The idea is for the HTS community to provide and attend lectures via Skype or Ventrilo. If you haven't noticed, we do have a Lectures section where you can submit a lecture for computer-related topics.

insomaniacal wrote:Might be interesting, though the only skype conversations I've had with people from here turned into pointless chatter fairly quickly xD.

I'll write guidelines for both the lecturer and the 'student' to follow to improve the quality of the lessons.
Ventrilo is available for all OS's, offers high-quality sound, group chats/IM's and a whole lot of other features.

Link @ http://www.ventrilo.com
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Chunkie on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:22 pm
([msg=40015]see Re: Skype groups?[/msg])

Would be awesome, but I'll go with Teamspeak or ventrilo.

Reason.

1.In skype the sound from every user would be on at the same time, unless you mute them.
2.On Ts/Ventrilo, you can join with an Ip and password, you dont need to invite people to join one..
3.In Ts/Ventrilo, you can easy create channels for specific missions etc.
4.In Ts/Ventrilo If you want you can turn off voice response and use "push to talk"

I guess Ventrilo and Teamspeak got some disadvantages too.
Sorry for my english.
Chunkie
New User
New User

Next

Return to Comments & Suggestions