Clues/instructions should all be visible on each page

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Clues/instructions should all be visible on each page

Post by CovertMagic on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 pm
([msg=79574]see Clues/instructions should all be visible on each page[/msg])

Hi!

I started working through the basic missions, in order. Most of the earlier ones are pretty easy, and give hefty clues on the mission page itself.

I was progressing to the next mission by clicking "go to next mission" (or whatever it says!)

After a while, the clues start to dry up. For example:
https://www.hackthissite.org/missions/basic/8/
was the first one I got seriously stuck on. There's not much of a clue on that page.

However, on:
https://www.hackthissite.org/missions/basic/
there is a fairly major clue for mission 8.

Maybe it's supposed to be part of the game, in which case, "fair enough". (I'll try to RTFM from now on..)

But otherwise, it's irritating that some of the information I feel I should have received wasn't on the page I was actually viewing.

Suggestion:
Include the "summary" text from the mission index pages on each of the individual mission pages.
CovertMagic
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Clues/instructions should all be visible on each page

Post by hellow533 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:04 pm
([msg=79575]see Re: Clues/instructions should all be visible on each page[/msg])

Most of the missions here require strict critical thinking, and may not give a clue simply because that's part of the mission. Others on the other hand will give a clue, and the field is far too vast not to, or the mission is designed for beginners just starting off in their new hobby of penetration testing.

The baseline information of the mission could very well be implemented into the mission pages themselves, but for now it might be best if you stick with copying down or checking out the page they are currently on now. Implementation would, in theory, be quite easy. If you want to discuss this further with any admins, developers, or moderators, I would highly suggest heading over to #Coffeesh0p on Hackthissite's IRC.

If it gives you any solace, we do have introductions and postmortems in the process of being made, however with little to no manpower behind the project (work, school, lives, etc.) we have trouble implementing them for all missions.

If you take any interest in writing some tutorials or postmortems for any mission, contact Fashizzlepop, and he or I (with his approval) can give you the link in order to start on such task.

I hope this helps, and if you do need any help, you can always checkout the forums for nice tips, or the Articles page for anything that might be related.

Thank you for being a member of the growing community of Hackthissite.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Clues/instructions should all be visible on each page

Post by CovertMagic on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:16 am
([msg=79576]see Re: Clues/instructions should all be visible on each page[/msg])

best if you stick with copying down or checking out the page they are currently on now.

Yeah, that's certainly what I'm doing now! It was only mission 8 that threw me really, I didn't see the mention of SSI until I had spent a good hour slamming random post content at the page, in the hope something would escape the variable and execute as php (I fancied scandir() for quite a while)..

Though looking back, that might not have worked as a meta-solution at all - I am after all, sending code to a site which is pretending to be hackable, not one that actually is? ;D

I suppose it's a balance between:
* Teaching that obscurity, information gathering and time-wastage is a big part of programming/computing.
* Teaching the specific lesson of each individual mission.

And the distribution of relevant info seemed to skew that balance somewhat on level 8...
Just adding the words "Google SSI, why not?" on https://www.hackthissite.org/missions/basic/8/ would help, imho.

Thanks for the detailed reply - if I continue to enjoy HTS as much as I am so far, I could potentially get involved and write a few bits....
CovertMagic
New User
New User

Return to Comments & Suggestions