Book Recommendations?

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

Book Recommendations?

Post by QSpec on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:22 am
([msg=68635]see Book Recommendations?[/msg])

In short, I am interested in learning everything I can about the computer. I start school in a few weeks studying Computer Science, and this will hopefully give me a good base of knowledge. That said, I am hoping for a bit more as college educations can be a bit thin at times.

I also have a degree in Philosophy with an emphasis on Logic (and language). I mention this because I understand that more than superficial knowledge is something that takes time and work. I am willing to put it in.

Keep in mind that I am a beginner, but any computer topic is fair game: architecture, programming, security, networking, etc.

I really appreciate any time you spend on this. Any other advice, I'm fair game.

PS:
Also, can someone PM me and explain Mission 7 to me? I have read up on it, but I don't get it. Unix commands in Windows?
QSpec
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Book Recommendations?

Post by WallShadow on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:07 am
([msg=68638]see Re: Book Recommendations?[/msg])

The Books sub-forum is dedicated exclusively to featuring books for you and me. Go ahead and look through it briefly. As for mission 7, there are no Unix commands on Windows, Unix and Windows are two different operating systems with significantly different command line methods.

The following may give you an idea of what to do:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Command_Injection
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by illusion_ on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:35 pm
([msg=68648]see Re: Book Recommendations?[/msg])

QSpec wrote:PS:
Also, can someone PM me and explain Mission 7 to me? I have read up on it, but I don't get it. Unix commands in Windows?

The command(s) are actually being ran on the server. When your browser requests that page, the server at HTS runs a perl script and sends the output to your browser
illusion_
New User
New User

Post by QSpec on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:52 am
([msg=68673]see Re: Book Recommendations?[/msg])

Okay that makes sense.

And so to tie this into the forum topic, does anyone know of a book that ties some of the systems together? I know a little bit about how the parts work, but I would love to know how they come together.

In other words, I would love to know what happens from the moment I launch my browser to the moment I close it. Hopefully I am explaining myself well enough, because I worry I may be a little vague.
QSpec
New User
New User

Return to Books