textbook style books?

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

textbook style books?

Post by count_duckula on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:38 am
([msg=65667]see textbook style books?[/msg])

Hi everyone.

I've been trying to find some learning resources for "hacking" for the past couple of days but it's hard to find any genurine, reliable information on the internet surrounding the entire subject of hacking. I was just wondering if you know of any textbook style books that will give me a good foundation to work from and to teach me the basic concepts right up to the advanced/expert realm. Also while I'm here what are main subject/topic areas of hacking. For example, encryption, html, java scripts. Words I've heard floating about but if you could give me more of a broader idea of what I need to learn and if you know of any learning resources (books or websites) that would be great.

many thanks,
nate. :D
count_duckula
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: textbook style books?

Post by mShred on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:19 am
([msg=65680]see Re: textbook style books?[/msg])

Why textbook? I do enjoy reading textbook over a computer, but you'll have a ridiculous amount of more luck looking for PDF's online then you will with books. And it'll be a lot cheaper.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by centip3de on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:54 pm
([msg=65691]see Re: textbook style books?[/msg])

mShred wrote:Why textbook? I do enjoy reading textbook over a computer, but you'll have a ridiculous amount of more luck looking for PDF's online then you will with books. And it'll be a lot cheaper.

I dunno... I despise reading textbooks, or any other books (except for my latin books) on the computer or any e-reader. It's personal preference to have the actual, factual book in-front of me. (Without having to buffer when flipping pages ;) )
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by limdis on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:12 pm
([msg=65697]see Re: textbook style books?[/msg])

A couple of years back I set out on a search to find an all encompassing book that would direct me in ways of hacking. I found a few, but I won't mention them. They were shit. I don't want to give out bad sources.
Since hacking comes in many flavors you want to look into books that cover specifics. Say for instance you mentioned html. There are lots of good books out there covering that, and online tutorials and PDFs. When you get into the hacking side of the digital realm you want to search out books geared for administrators, network security, and forensics. They don't scream "hacking" because they are designed to be defensive learning tools for the reader. They discuss vulnerabilities and how to prevent them. In so doing, the reader just learned a hacking technique. Sometimes you can find texts that are specifically written to teach you how to hack, but good ones are a bit harder to come by.

Hard copies are easier to get in the long run, and you have a better chance of finding the latest editions that haven't been converted to PDFs yet. Just be ready to spend some money.

Now, if want some assistance finding a good read for something specific we'll be more than happy to aid you. 8-)
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to Books