Good hacker fiction

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

Good hacker fiction

Post by Marder on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:20 pm
([msg=52700]see Good hacker fiction[/msg])

I haven't read too much hacker fiction aside from Dan Brown's Digital Fortress, but I don't even know if you can really call that hacker fiction. I've come under the perception that most fiction about hackers lives and dies off of cliches that society has about hackers and "nerds" in general. That they're reclusive, obsessive, overtly smart people typing random things onto a screen that the common person would never understand to destroy life as we know it and bring about the new world order. Or they're like Matrix/.Hack stuffs that portrays the internet and the world of technology as some kind of alternate dimension that can be accessed and navigated by humans.

I'm looking for anything that sort of breaks this mold and is realistic. Anybody know of any such stories?
Marder
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Good hacker fiction

Post by dellex on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:34 pm
([msg=52701]see Re: Good hacker fiction[/msg])

"Stealing the Network" series: http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Network-Complete-Collectors-Chapter/dp/159749299X/

...and of course "Little Brother", which is free to download: http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/
and there is a whole thread here dedicated to the book: http://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=3042
dellex
New User
New User

Post by Marder on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:41 pm
([msg=52705]see Re: Good hacker fiction[/msg])

Thanks for the tip :) . I'll have to check these out.
Marder
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:46 pm
([msg=52710]see Re: Good hacker fiction[/msg])

I whole-heartedly second both of those books. I read Little Brother twice in a row, and I am about 50 pages away from the Stealing The Network series. Both are fantastic books which demonstrate very real attacks in a fictional setting. Not only will you be entertained, but you will learn something as well.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Marder on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:06 pm
([msg=52718]see Re: Good hacker fiction[/msg])

I just finished downloading the free copy of Little Brother and am currently reading the first chapter. Entertaining so far, and I like the style. Will have to keep reading this. Thanks for the recommendations guys, I sure hope to learn a thing or two.
Marder
New User
New User

Post by TheCheeseDemon on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:35 am
([msg=52760]see Re: Good hacker fiction[/msg])

Daniel Saurez is a good bet as well and Cory Docotorows other books are all worth reading - there not really hacker fiction but they tend to revolve around technology and well, there good.
TheCheeseDemon
New User
New User

Post by fabianhjr on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:06 pm
([msg=52795]see Re: Good hacker fiction[/msg])

For the Win and Down and Out In the Magic Kingdom are the greatest of Cory Doctorow's books. :D
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster

Post by apples on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:45 pm
([msg=52871]see Re: Good hacker fiction[/msg])

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Not technically about hacking, but whatever.
apples
New User
New User

Post by cluele55 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:03 am
([msg=80096]see Re: Good hacker fiction[/msg])

I know it's been 3 years since this post was started, but I was wondering if anyone had any books to add to the list. I think Little Brother is by far the best. I read the sequel, Homeland, which was also pretty good (until that girl showed up and ruined the storyline). There's a 3rd in the series now -- Lawful Interception -- but it's more about Marcus poking the bear than anything else. Pirate Cinema is also good, especially if you want to know how to be homeless.

I read a teen book called "Find Me" by Romily Bernard. The main character is a hacker and she is set on a quest to find out why a former best friend killed herself. The hacking isn't elaborated. In fact, it's more like TV hacking where the characters type a few keys on the keyboard and suddenly they're in. But it's a decent story.

I am halfway through Stealing the Network, which is the size of a phone book. It's like an all-you-can-eat buffet of 2600. A great read, but it's an old book (trilogy?). So the technology and hacking methods are pretty outdated. Has anyone read anything new related to hacking, technology, robotics, etc?
cluele55
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:49 pm
([msg=80116]see Re: Good hacker fiction[/msg])

How come no-one mentioned Daemon? Also, this could definitely be seen as a necro...
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Books