Digital Fortress - Dan Brown

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown

Post by yourmysin on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:33 am
([msg=51917]see Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown[/msg])

Dan Brown is known for books containing misleading information. This is true for The Lost Symbol, The Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress, Angels and Demons as well as Deception Point. I've read them all and can attest to this.

Otherwise, he's a decent writer. He likes to keep chapters short (sometimes to short). Digital Fortress was the first book I read by him. It held my interests while I was bored in Germany one summer. I would suggest giving it a try. Keep in mind, it is fiction. Take it's information with a grain of salt.
A+, Network+, MCTS(70-620), Security+, CCNA
yourmysin
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by parakkafaith on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:27 am
([msg=51940]see Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown[/msg])

yourmysin wrote:I would suggest giving it a try. Keep in mind, it is fiction. Take it's information with a grain of salt.

Couldn't have said it better myself :P Just to clear up what this thread may seem to suggest.. even though the book is not 100% accurate, there are very, very few inaccuracies. There are a few not-so-obvious things thrown in for the sake of an interesting read, but they are, for the most part, still plausible. That's what leads to all kinds of interesting thoughts or discussions.

Wouldn't it be cool to write an unbreakable algorithm?! I know it's far-fetched, but how close do you think somebody could get? It would take a hell of a brilliant mind to create a conventional encryption better than anything we already have today.
Last edited by parakkafaith on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parakkafaith
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:41 am
([msg=51945]see Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown[/msg])

parakkafaith wrote:
yourmysin wrote:I would suggest giving it a try. Keep in mind, it is fiction. Take it's information with a grain of salt.

Couldn't have said it better myself :P Just to clear up what this thread may seem to suggest.. even though the book is 100% accurate, there are very, very few inaccuracies. There are a few not-so-obvious things thrown in for the sake of an interesting read, but they are, for the most part, still plausible. That's what leads to all kinds of interesting thoughts or discussions.

Wouldn't it be cool to write an unbreakable algorithm?! I know it's far-fetched, but how close do you think somebody could get? It would take a hell of a brilliant mind to create a conventional encryption better than anything we already have today.

The book is not 100% accurate by any means... what are you smoking? An unbreakable encryption is completely implausible.

Hell, they've even broken quantum encryptions.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by s0fa on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:29 am
([msg=51952]see Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown[/msg])

Code makers, code breakers - the ancient game again. Since the roman age there have always been algorithms which were "unbreakable" .. until somebody put enough effort behind it to break them. This pattern continued 'till today and will continue in the future. On Topic: Reordered the book via Amazon because my copy is .. well, lost in the chaotic circumstances in my room.
"The individual is defined only by his relationship to the world and to other individuals; he exists only by transcending himself, and his freedom can be achieved only through the freedom of others." - Simone de Beauvoir
s0fa
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:13 am
([msg=51955]see Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown[/msg])

parakkafaith wrote:Wouldn't it be cool to write an unbreakable algorithm?! I know it's far-fetched, but how close do you think somebody could get? It would take a hell of a brilliant mind to create a conventional encryption better than anything we already have today.

I once created a text file, encrypted it with one password and then encrypted the result again with another one. repeated this a few times and then opened the file in a Hex editor and changed some random values, corrupting it. I'd like to see anyone have a shot at reproducing my original text file. Maybe I'll add a salt just for the fun of it. I know you said conventional encryption, but obfuscation can exponentially complicate things. I mean, just imagine you're dealing with an MD5 encryption. what if you don't know it's MD5? You're screwed from the word go. You could make an unbreakable algorythm if you just don't let anyone know how it works :P
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:22 am
([msg=51956]see Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown[/msg])

Well one-time pads are of course 100% secure (if password is not reused) as well as the 256bit AES such as Assange's "Thermonuclear" file (technically, it can be brute forced but it's not plausible by any means).

pretentious wrote:<br>I once created a text file, encrypted it with one password and then encrypted the result again with another one.
It can be bruted. No one is going to try though.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by pretentious on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:12 am
([msg=51957]see Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:
pretentious wrote:<br>I once created a text file, encrypted it with one password and then encrypted the result again with another one.
It can be bruted. No one is going to try though.

:mrgreen:
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by parakkafaith on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:40 pm
([msg=51972]see Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown[/msg])

The book is not 100% accurate by any means... what are you smoking?

I meant to say not 100% accurate :P Wasn't smoking anything.. just tired! I apologize.

I once created a text file, encrypted it with one password and then encrypted the result again with another one. repeated this a few times and then opened the file in a Hex editor and changed some random values

Corrupting a file like that would be a pretty sneaky way to get around if you were to use some kind of steganography to help a recipient fix it up (provided it wasn't for just yourself).

The "rotating clear text" mentioned in the book, for those who have read even the beginning, is an interesting thought as long as you don't think about if for more than 2 seconds and realize it doesn't make sense :P
parakkafaith
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 pm
([msg=51979]see Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown[/msg])

Reminds me of the mutating encryption algorithm used in Live Free or Die Hard... Where he punches in numbers so that it makes to connecting squares or something... lol.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by goluhaque on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:08 am
([msg=52152]see Re: Digital Fortress - Dan Brown[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:When you walk into a book store do you focus more on the plain looking books? Or do you look at the shiny intriguing ones? Even legitimate non-fiction books need attention in order to sell.

Also, if you want a very interesting book, written by a great author, with a brilliant plot, you would read Little Brother by Cory Doctorow.

Sorry for the bump, but I read "Little Brother" and found it very interesting. Any other interesting recommendations?
(23:45:03) hauk: I guess you are over the best part of your life when 4-year-olds say "Are you an evil man?"
(23:46:19) hauk: and "Ima punch you in the pecker"
goluhaque
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Books