Books for a beginner?

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

Books for a beginner?

Post by pyro7235 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:29 pm
([msg=49688]see Books for a beginner?[/msg])

Hello all. I've only recently come into the programming/hacking aspect of computers, and I know next to nothing. Could anyone suggest some books that would guide and teach me in an easy-to-understand manner? I don't want to be babied to an extreme extent, yet I also don't want to be frustrated to the point of giving up on hacking. Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated.
pyro7235
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Books for a beginner?

Post by msbachman on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 pm
([msg=49693]see Re: Books for a beginner?[/msg])

I'd recommend the "Hacking Exposed" series. They are relatively easy reads.

Some asshat pirate posted three of them online to a publically accessible site. Of course, you should never download pirated copies of anything.

Update: I'm an idiot. I posted the wrong link before. It's correct now.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pyro7235 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:07 pm
([msg=49851]see Re: Books for a beginner?[/msg])

Awesome, I'll look into that. Do the concepts introduced in the book still work for modern programs? Also, will it help me understand the different programming codes?
pyro7235
New User
New User

Post by msbachman on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:29 am
([msg=49882]see Re: Books for a beginner?[/msg])

pyro7235 wrote:Awesome, I'll look into that. Do the concepts introduced in the book still work for modern programs? Also, will it help me understand the different programming codes?

Some do and some probably won't. Haven't read the book in a while, but one thing I remember them going into right off the bat is using proxychains to do anonymized port-scanning. That still applies.

Other things probably don't, but I wouldn't rule out outdated exploits still being viable in certain environments. For instance, just think about the number of people still running older OSs and/or unpatched. This will always apply to a degree with hacking books/articles, because the time it takes to go to press is slower than most-all entities can patch known exploits.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Books