The Code Book (Cryptography)

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

The Code Book (Cryptography)

Post by Narphet on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm
([msg=40797]see The Code Book (Cryptography)[/msg])

Anyone looking for an introduction to crypto should pick up The Code Book by Simon Singh. Hell, even if you already know about crypto you'll probably still find it interesting. I was sorta skeptical when the librarian got it off the shelf for me, the cover made it look sorta popular sciencey if you know what I mean; but it's actually quite in-depth. And you can test your knowledge with the cryptograms at the end (which range from basic child-hood ciphers to PGP).

It takes a history-heavy approach from the ancient greeks through Alan Turing. It lays out step by step exactly how cryptography evolved - how each previous system turned out to have problems, and the thought process behind each solution to those problems. It also really changed my perspective on the history of computing.

So yeah, recommended.
Narphet
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Code Book (Cryptography)

Post by Goatboy on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:17 pm
([msg=40798]see Re: The Code Book (Cryptography)[/msg])

I'll look into this. I've been getting more into crypto recently since I've been taking more math classes in college.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by msbachman on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:08 pm
([msg=40800]see Re: The Code Book (Cryptography)[/msg])

Here's a random link that has nothing to do with the topic at hand: http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2074111/1924603/

Another book that might pique someone's interest is this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0520260139. I flipped through it not too long ago, it's not especially computer oriented but details the use of both secret codes and general messages throughout time. Plenty of pictures and fun to just flip through.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vulpine on Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:13 pm
([msg=40802]see Re: The Code Book (Cryptography)[/msg])

Sounds very interesting. I'll be sure to dow-...I mean buy it from the internet merchandiser that msbachman has so kindly directed us to.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by incogito on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:15 am
([msg=43383]see Re: The Code Book (Cryptography)[/msg])

I couldn't agree more; this book is informative and yet still a real page turner. Theres plenty of "Aha!" moments when you understand how various ciphers are created and broken.

The Cipher Challenge at the end is brilliant, it goes through stages from very easy to very hard ciphers (to give you an idea of just how hard, there was a prize of £10,000 for the first person to crack them all, achieved in 2000). I've yet to complete it!

I've read it twice because Iforgot some of the content, all I can say is, if you want to get into the (awesome) world of cryptography and cryptanalysis, start here.
Try Harder. 100011 + 011011 = 1 + 0
incogito
New User
New User

Post by MetaJoker on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:05 am
([msg=44181]see Re: The Code Book (Cryptography)[/msg])

I've actually been trying to learn more about Cryptology and I've heard a lot of good things about this book. Although Simon has two books out with the title The Code Book. So can anyone clarify which one it is?

The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography
and
The Code Book: How to Make It, Break It, Hack It, Crack It
is the other. Thanks :)
MetaJoker
New User
New User

Post by incogito on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:52 pm
([msg=44449]see Re: The Code Book (Cryptography)[/msg])

MetaJoker wrote:I've actually been trying to learn more about Cryptology and I've heard a lot of good things about this book. Although Simon has two books out with the title The Code Book. So can anyone clarify which one it is?

The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography
and

The "Ancient Egypt" one is the original book, the "how to make it..." one is a version of the book simplified for younger readers.
Try Harder. 100011 + 011011 = 1 + 0
incogito
New User
New User

Post by MetaJoker on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:47 pm
([msg=44452]see Re: The Code Book (Cryptography)[/msg])

incogito wrote:
MetaJoker wrote:I've actually been trying to learn more about Cryptology and I've heard a lot of good things about this book. Although Simon has two books out with the title The Code Book. So can anyone clarify which one it is?

and

The "Ancient Egypt" one is the original book, the "how to make it..." one is a version of the book simplified for younger readers.

Thank you
MetaJoker
New User
New User

Post by PinkFloyd22 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:37 pm
([msg=44473]see Re: The Code Book (Cryptography)[/msg])

incogito wrote:I couldn't agree more; this book is informative and yet still a real page turner. Theres plenty of "Aha!" moments when you understand how various ciphers are created and broken.

The Cipher Challenge at the end is brilliant, it goes through stages from very easy to very hard ciphers (to give you an idea of just how hard, there was a prize of £10,000 for the first person to crack them all, achieved in 2000). I've yet to complete it!

I've read it twice because Iforgot some of the content, all I can say is, if you want to get into the (awesome) world of cryptography and cryptanalysis, start here.

Tnx for your post now I'm really interested in this.I wanted to get into cryptography for quite some time.
I think this book is the right thing for me. :D
Edit:
Anyone know if you can get the ebook for free I searched for it but couldn't find it.
^_^
PinkFloyd22
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Sector on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:17 pm
([msg=45162]see Re: The Code Book (Cryptography)[/msg])

This is a link that has absolutely nothing to do with what PinkFloyd22 asked.

-- Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:22 pm --

Neither is this.
Sector
New User
New User

Next

Return to Books