recommended books?

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

recommended books?

Post by chrisx16x2008 on Tue May 05, 2009 2:52 pm
([msg=23207]see recommended books?[/msg])

hey i was at the book store the other day looking as computer security and hacking books. I was gonna buy one but im not sure how dated they are. Anyone have any suggestions for good hacking books?
chrisx16x2008
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: recommended books?

Post by thedotmaster on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:57 pm
([msg=28693]see Re: recommended books?[/msg])

Don't get a book on "hacking" or whatever. If you're going to get a book, I'd get a book on a programming language or on networking, etc. To be honest though, they're expensive as hell. You might as well get an ebook torrent.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by faazshift on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:32 am
([msg=29974]see Re: recommended books?[/msg])

Well, 'The Art of Intrusion' by Kevin Mitnick is a good book about hacks in-action and how to protect against them. The book is a few years old, but its still pretty good.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cilpolir on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:05 am
([msg=29986]see Re: recommended books?[/msg])

hacking exposed is really a good book, it's written to be a countermassure against hacking, and the writer(o'reilly) tought it would be best if he explained step by step how the hack is done:P so it's really handy, only tiny thingy is that it has 700 pages of quite technical stuff. but I(a 16 year old boy,whos native language isn't english) did understand it mostly
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by axel78 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:28 am
([msg=30222]see Re: recommended books?[/msg])

cilpolir wrote:hacking exposed is really a good book, it's written to be a countermassure against hacking, and the writer(o'reilly) tought it would be best if he explained step by step how the hack is done:P so it's really handy, only tiny thingy is that it has 700 pages of quite technical stuff. but I(a 16 year old boy,whos native language isn't english) did understand it mostly

I hope i would get basic points and steps of hacking from this book. Thanx for sharing.
New User

Post by xfelix on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:15 am
([msg=32803]see Re: recommended books?[/msg])

I don't mind ebooks sometimes, but other times I like to sit back and read a book. There are many amazing books out there, here's a few Hacker Web Exploitation Uncovered, Reversing Secrets of Reverse Engineering, Hacking: The art of exploitation, Shellcoders Handbook. These are all my favorites and aren't the bullshit books that don't teach shit. :D
xfelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Syncvoid on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:56 am
([msg=33982]see Re: recommended books?[/msg])

This is kinda funny, since I own most the books recommended.

Even if you don't have a lot of experience, such as myself, you can still learn a lot and the principals will assist you as you progress.

If you look for a book on hacking, I would say any book based on "How hackers do things and how to protect yourself" directed at IT professionals are always good books to check out. I find most of these are written but ISS/hackers that are basically teaching people how to hack in the guise of a "how to prevent hacking" book. I found most of the books list here at half-priced books.
Syncvoid
New User
New User

Post by fuckthenavy on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:09 pm
([msg=46450]see Re: recommended books?[/msg])

If you're going to get a book, I'd get a book on a programming language or on networking, etc.

im in the same boat as the OP, im very new to the whole computer scene, and im interested in hacking. so the other day i went to the store and bought: html, xhtml, and css for dummies, javascript & ajax for dummies, and beginning programming for dummies. like i stated above i am very new to all of this, and i would like to be well rounded (or at least own the books to make me look well rounded lol) so any books/ categories you could recommend would be much appreciated.
fuckthenavy
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:13 pm
([msg=46451]see Re: recommended books?[/msg])

The "dummies" books aren't great. They are too general. I'd suggest "Learning Perl" for beginning programming. It's a great read and gives you a good intro to a lot of professional programming concepts. Look on amazon and you will find it cheap. And books are not a necessity as you can find almost anything online. Especially HTML, CSS, JavaScript etc.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by fuckthenavy on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:18 pm
([msg=46453]see Re: recommended books?[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:The "dummies" books aren't great. They are too general. I'd suggest "Learning Perl" for beginning programming. It's a great read and gives you a good intro to a lot of professional programming concepts. Look on amazon and you will find it cheap. And books are not a necessity as you can find almost anything online. Especially HTML, CSS, JavaScript etc.

yea, i wish i had thought to ask for book recommendations here before i went out and bought some, im sure it would have made things easier lol
fuckthenavy
New User
New User

Next

Return to Books