Looking for book recommendations

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

Looking for book recommendations

Post by tkearn5000 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:31 pm
([msg=22015]see Looking for book recommendations[/msg])

I've been searching for books on hacking, and have found a good number of them. I was wondering what books people here have enjoyed and found informative?

I'm fairly new to hacking, and have worked through an HTML and CSS book, and am now working on PHP and MySQL. I want a book that will be informative, and entertaining to read. I also don't want to waste money on a dud. If anyone has an opinion on a good book to introduce me to hacker culture, and futher my knowledge, please let me know.

Thanks,
-TK
tkearn5000
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Looking for book recommendations

Post by orwell84 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:29 pm
([msg=22019]see Re: Looking for book recommendations[/msg])

Well, first you have to understand that no book is going to simply make you a hacker. They can help to teach you about certain things, but you can't just read a book and be great. I'm guessing that you know this already, just based on how your post was worded.
As for books, Hacking: The Art of Exploitation and The Web Application Hacker's Handbook are two good ones. Most of the information that you'll need to know you can find by scouring Google and various forums, though. The idea is not to buy too many books when you can learn the same information for free through the internet. For example, you could have learned HTML and CSS at www.w3schools.com , same with PHP and SQL (don't call it MySQL, unless you're learning that particular software), and many more like Javascript, ASP, XML, etc. Other websites can help you learn other languages. If you want to get a book, check if a library near you has it first unless it's a highly recommended book. The idea is to know the information by heart anyway, not to have to refer to a book every time you forget something. I know that due dates are a pain, but it gives you a deadline for learning the information. I know that the deadlines don't always work out, but at least you get to read the book and learn it. There's also the fact that most libraries don't carry extensive books on computer science topics, but sometimes they have that rare jewel buried amongst all the "teach yourself windows vista" stuff and the like.
In general, try to learn something online or through a library book before buying a book. I hope that helped.
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Post by faazshift on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:00 pm
([msg=24835]see Re: Looking for book recommendations[/msg])

I am currently reading The Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnick. Its definitely entertaining. It has the stories of real hacks. If your worried about wasting money, you could try getting it from your local library (if they have it).
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fiftysixer on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:23 am
([msg=25000]see Re: Looking for book recommendations[/msg])

An EXCELLENT book is "Stealing The Network: How To Own The Box".

It's fiction, rather entertaining, and also pretty educational. Even though the stories in it are made up, it's still one of my favorite hacker books.

http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Network-How-Own-Box/dp/1931836876
Big fan of Image
fiftysixer
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Books