Little Brother

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

Re: Little Brother

Post by Mystic_Dragon on Tue May 04, 2010 9:27 pm
([msg=38363]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

I read this based on thread rec. I kept thinking of the post saying loved it by chapter 4. I read most of chapter one and then spent two days printing and binding it so I can take it anywhere. This book is amazing in every sense of the word. You could feel it. Every emotion was there. And yes, we can all imagine this happening because it happens in small forms all around us, we can only hope it never gets that bad...
Mystic_Dragon
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by freyathedark on Tue May 18, 2010 5:45 pm
([msg=38770]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

My little sister recommended this book to me a while ago, and I just got around to reading it recently. All in all, it's an amazing book, and I learned a lot about hacking and proxies that I didn't know before. Cory Doctorow's other books also seem to be set up in ways that you learn what you need to know from them. For The Win is another good one of his that talks a bit about hacking.
freyathedark
New User
New User

Post by LaZ33K1D on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:34 pm
([msg=40292]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

Read it in a day, I really couldn't put it down.

I thought it was gonna be a little bit of a teen book at the start (even though it kinda was) like an alex ryder book, but I soon changed my mind, especially with the concert, and hearing about what "happened" afterwards. now we just gotta make a Paranoidlinux distro...

DON'T TRUST ANYONE OVER 25! :D
LaZ33K1D
New User
New User

Post by Crunchbite on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:28 am
([msg=40459]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

This book has made me more paranoid than usual. I think it is really contending for the position of best dystopic book, currently being held by 1984. Time to distribute it to my friends and family.
"I will teach you the way of the open keyboard, young one...I have helped many pupils achieve zen...and for only SEVEN easy payments of $19.99, I can give you FREE hacking lessons!" -sanddbox
Crunchbite
New User
New User

Post by thetan on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:23 am
([msg=40860]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

Corry Doctorow is by far my favorite author of all time. Little Brother is a must, but it's not my favorite book of his. All of his books are "open-source" in a way because he release all of his books under the creative commons license and encourages you to download his books, share with friends, translate, convert and pirate!!

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom - Corry Doctorow : IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE!!!!!!
Download: http://craphound.com/down/download.php
+ This book is about the rise of the future society known as the Bitchun society. They rely on advanced technologies to sustain life indefinitely via full brain dump back ups known as 'flash-baking', people can take voluntary periods of temporary death to be revived on the occurrence of given events or at a specific date, this is called 'dead heading'. The whole book takes place in an era of post scarcity (rendering modern economics useless) so instead everything is purely meritocratic, drugs are legalized and oh yeah did i mention, the entire book takes place in DISNEY LAND!! Like i said, if you're a fan of sci-fi this book is an absolute must!

Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town: Confusing, awkward and Inspiring!!!
Download: http://craphound.com/someone/download.php
+ This novel follows the life of a character who's father is a mountain and mother is a wash machine. His siblings are equally as odd, yet throughout most of the novel the main character remains fairly normal. Golems which live on the father have helped raising the kids. I keep saying character instead of his name because most of the main characters names change on every other mention to another name beginning with the same letter, further adding to the weirdness of the book. However, the technology aspect of the book as inspired me to build and play with wifi mesh networks. It's inspired me to start a little mini wifi mesh network in my apartments that i plan on expanding one day.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mendax_Sane on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:58 pm
([msg=44162]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

This was a great book and the bibliography in the back was a pretty good way of getting people to look much more closely at hacking, activism and hacker culture once he's got everyone hooked. FTW doesn't really cover hacking but it looks a lot at the kind of digital economies were starting to see(Didn't World Of Warcrafts population over take Zimbabwe awhile ago?) and unionization. All in all hes a pretty awesome writer.
Mendax_Sane
New User
New User

Post by PinkFloyd22 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:23 pm
([msg=47257]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

Sorry for necro but I gota say something about this amazing book.
I really loved it was so good.Its a great read,I recommend this book to everyone!
Thanks for this topic I discovered a really good book :D
^_^
PinkFloyd22
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by dellex on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:37 am
([msg=47282]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

PinkFloyd22 wrote:Sorry for necro but I gota say something about this amazing book.
I really loved it was so good.Its a great read,I recommend this book to everyone!
Thanks for this topic I discovered a really good book :D

actually, thank you for the necro, cause I haven't seen this thread and I didn't have an idea about this book, which so far seems great! ;)
dellex
New User
New User

Post by thetan on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:14 am
([msg=47287]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

If you liked this book i have to recommend these:
  • Daemon - Daniel Suarez (part 1 in the daemon series, cyber punk based future where computer daemons take over the world)
  • FreedomTM - Daniel Suarez (part 2 in the daemon series, factions rise to defend the daemons from out dated governments and economic systems)
  • Down and Out In The Magic Kingdom - Corry Doctorow (Corry Doctorow'a take on a possible future IN DISNEY LAND!!!)
  • Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town - Corry Doctorow (awesome)

Also btw, I live in the bay area and that fastrak technology is a real thing. It has the same name and everything. I cross those bridges everyday on my commute to work but i refuse to purchase a fastrak on principal and fork over the $5 in cache instead.

Recently though the bay area has made an even bigger mistake with fastrak. On 880 south coming from Pleasonton down to San Jose they have gotten rid of the carpool lane and replaced it with a "fastrak lane" complete with RFID sensors and cameras to snap pictures of offenders and send them auto $300 fines in the mail. As a result, traffic on 880 south has gotten horrible during commute hours so you have two options:
  • Sit in traffic for an additional hour longer then your commute already was
  • Get a fastrak RFID and have the cash automatically deducted on sensor pass and get to work on roughly the same time you did before.
It's borderline extortion and no one seems to care :(
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fabianhjr on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:11 pm
([msg=47326]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

thetan, couldn't you get an EMP module and fry the damn thing? :twisted:
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Books