Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Post by 7enlightenment1 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:55 am
([msg=13633]see Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card[/msg])

if you got some spare time..and if you have read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card..
you wouldnt mind helpin me out with this. :D

1.Ender does not trust anyone,and one of the manifestations of that distrust is the suggestion that everyone lies,especially the adults(and in particular,teachers) towards the children.What is the implication of lying in the novel?Does the lack of opportunity for trust make Ender a better or worse commander?

2.Throughout the novel,Graff and Mazer isolate Ender from all of the other students at Battle School and COmmand School.Why did Graff and Mazer do this?What were the ramifications of their decision?

3.At every novel rest on antagonism:everyone is a friend or an enemy or both.The buggers and humans are enemies.Among humans, the world alliance is undermined by antagonism between the Americans and the Second Warsaw Pact.The Warsaw Alliance in undermined by antagonism between Muslim and non Muslim allies.In Ender's experience,nobody can be fully trusted,but everyone is basically a friend or an enemy.Is this binary opposition a representation of Ender's youth or is this the true state of the world?Explain.

help much appreciated..
help asap much more appreciated.

thx btw.
"Ideas.Are.Bulletproof."
7enlightenment1
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Post by BobTheSquid on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:55 am
([msg=13638]see Re: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card[/msg])

hmm, sounds like an interesting report you have to do....
These are all open ended questions, you can answer them many many ways, its all what you think.
I'll put a couple of my ideas on here to help you out.

Not sure on the implications of lying in the book. I would say the lies make everyone in the book more human. "no one tells the whole truth" type of thing. Though it obviously does create this lack of trust. I wouldn't say Ender realizes this lack of trust in every other unit, that's why he changes his strategies in the game room. He knows all other commanders don't trust their unit to make decisions, and he changes that, knowing that trusting his unit will make them better. He essentially creates the opportunity for them to earn his complete trust.

The isolation of Ender is definitely intended to make him a better commander. First, they are trying to get him to let go of his inhibitions in fighting, turning the others against him is a great way, but it goes a bit further then they wanted. They are looking to toughen him and bring out the fighter in him, and it worked. In addition, they want to isolate him from friends. They don't want him becoming too attached to anyone. In order to be a good leader, one must not be overly concerned with particular troops. I don't know if thats the best way to say that, but I think you know what I am driving at.

As for the last question this is definitely for you to answer on your own. Its basically the age-old question of nature-vs-nurture. Is the world (or our perception of it at least) inherently good or evil or is it just a result of his siblings.

BTW, if you liked Ender's Game, READ ENDER'S SHADOW!!!! Gives a whole new perspective on the story.
BobTheSquid
New User
New User

Post by rmalev91 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:12 pm
([msg=15196]see Re: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card[/msg])

My opinion is...

Read the book Silly Goose. And if you didn't catch it the first time through then read it again, and again, and again. It's an amazing book.

And I concur, read Ender's Shadow.
rmalev91
New User
New User

Post by -Osiris- on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:46 am
([msg=15592]see Re: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card[/msg])

1.Ender does not trust anyone,and one of the manifestations of that distrust is the suggestion that everyone lies,especially the adults(and in particular,teachers) towards the children.What is the implication of lying in the novel?Does the lack of opportunity for trust make Ender a better or worse commander?

he does trust some one. lol his sister val the one that named hi ENDER

2.Throughout the novel,Graff and Mazer isolate Ender from all of the other students at Battle School and COmmand School.Why did Graff and Mazer do this?What were the ramifications of their decision?

so he could learn to examine every aspect of a person or army or fleet and anticipat the movements much like he did under bonzos command

3.At every novel rest on antagonism:everyone is a friend or an enemy or both.The buggers and humans are enemies.Among humans, the world alliance is undermined by antagonism between the Americans and the Second Warsaw Pact.The Warsaw Alliance in undermined by antagonism between Muslim and non Muslim allies.In Ender's experience,nobody can be fully trusted,but everyone is basically a friend or an enemy.Is this binary opposition a representation of Ender's youth or is this the true state of the world?Explain.

every one is ever an enemny or a freind in enders life no one is neutrel
-Osiris-
New User
New User

Return to Books