Little Brother

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

Re: Little Brother

Post by cluele55 on Tue May 07, 2013 7:59 pm
([msg=75501]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

I know the original post is pretty old, but I just wanted to pop in to say that I read a book called "For the Win" by the same author. It was about a bunch of MMO gamers around the world who "gamed" for a living. They spent all day earning game gold for customers who paid real money for it. There was one group in China that did this "sweat shop" style, meaning that they worked for some bigwig who made them work (play) long hours and paid them very little.

It was a good book, but it had some major flaws. The author had his own agenda -- to teach the reader about micro-economics, using gaming as an example. It would have been a great book if not for the long author-lectures in between scenes.

I might check out some of the author's other books mentioned in this post. But if I see an alternate agenda in those, I'll leave them behind. :-)
cluele55
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed May 08, 2013 11:54 am
([msg=75503]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

For The Win was definitely not as good as the other work Cory Doctorow has written. Little Brother is amazing, Homeland is good but not nearly as great as Little Brother, and Down and Out in the Magical Kingdom is a really fun one to read. I highly suggest all three of those. :)
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by cluele55 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:22 pm
([msg=77328]see Re: Little Brother[/msg])

I finally got around to reading Little Brother. It was great. Poor Marcus. The more he tried to "fix" the system, the worse it got. We've all felt that sense of helplessness when fair and just are not synonymous with law and order. I am just about to start Cory Doctorow's sequel "Homeland." It came out a few months ago. Hopefully, it'll be just as good.
cluele55
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Books