SASL

For IRC Issues

SASL

Post by Strawberry_Kittens on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:02 pm
([msg=79912]see SASL[/msg])

Why is this not enabled.

We've had the ability to enable it for ages, we have other IRCv3 stuff enabled, so why is this not.

It's at most a 2-3 line config change.

I've brought this up several times now. Twice of which when someone was actively editing the configs and changing things, it still hasn't happened.
Amazon Wishlist - Have I helped you in some way? Thank me by buying something on my wishlist!
Steam Wishlist - I'll play with you if it's a multiplayer game you buy.
Strawberry_Kittens
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: SASL

Post by Tentra on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:22 pm
([msg=79916]see Re: SASL[/msg])

Strawberry_Kittens wrote:Why is this not enabled.

Why should it be enabled? How SASL would benefit HTS?
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by Strawberry_Kittens on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:25 pm
([msg=79920]see Re: SASL[/msg])

Tentra wrote:
Strawberry_Kittens wrote:Why is this not enabled.

Why should it be enabled? How SASL would benefit HTS?

It's a common IRCv3 feature that 99.9% of servers are using now. It allows you to authenticate before you've finished the connect phase.

This gets rid of issues such as
  • Trying to join a registered-users-only channel before authenticating
  • Joining a channel that has kick-on-join enabled for users not on the access list before authenticating
  • Removing the need to parse the NickServ request-for-auth line and send your password
Amazon Wishlist - Have I helped you in some way? Thank me by buying something on my wishlist!
Strawberry_Kittens
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:53 pm
([msg=79954]see Re: SASL[/msg])

So, say you got the Nickserv configured with the auto-join list and your client configured to register/identify with Nickserv when connecting to HTS, what other uses does it have then? Just wondering...
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Post by Tentra on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:45 pm
([msg=79957]see Re: SASL[/msg])

Strawberry_Kittens, unless you have reason to believe otherwise, I don't think the issues you listed are problems HTS has. In my experience, there are not a lot of regular users in IRC, however I have not regularly participated on IRC in over a year, so this may have changed. I can definitely see the benefit of SASL with a more tight-knit community with lots of frequent participants and a variety of channels.

I believe a majority of IRC activity happens on #coffeesh0p and #help with a majority of the users being people new to the community. Enabling SASL would provide another barrier to entry for new users that already seem to have a difficult time using IRC as it is.

From what I understand, as I have never actually used SASL, you have to authenticate during the connect, which is usually done to prevent abuse from unauthorized users. I know Freenode requires SASL if you are connecting from Tor.

Essentially, I don't see reason to enable SASL unless there is an issue with trolls in IRC; which I don't think is a major problem currently. Even though there are benefits like the ones you listed, it seems like only a minor benefit to those who choose to utilize it while potentially causing even more administrative problems for the HTS staff, who already have enough technical crap to deal with.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by Strawberry_Kittens on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:21 pm
([msg=79978]see Re: SASL[/msg])

Tentra wrote:Enabling SASL would provide another barrier to entry for new users that already seem to have a difficult time using IRC as it is.

It's optional, if your client doesn't request it then you wont be using it. There is zero difference for users that don't request it.

Tentra wrote:From what I understand, as I have never actually used SASL, you have to authenticate during the connect, which is usually done to prevent abuse from unauthorized users.

You don't HAVE to. It's not REQUIRED.
Strawberry_Kittens
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:12 am
([msg=79986]see Re: SASL[/msg])

1. Post it in the correct thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10281

2. Add why you think the developers should take their time to push this out.

3. If they don't add it in, give up on it. I know the developers are busy, it may get added in the future sometime (If they review it and think it's a good fit) otherwise, there isn't much you can do. Unless of course you manage to make it on the development team sometime.

I think right now Hackthissite should be working on 'fixing' things, not 'adding' new features.
Also, your points you highlighted on why SASL is a good fit, I couldn't find any documented evidence on that. So, with that said posting references for them to read when giving your statement is a good idea to persuade the developers; otherwise you are hanging on a limb hoping they find all this information, which they might not have the time to delve highly in researching the benifits/cons of SASL.

Just my thoughts...
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to IRC