#climbformemory

For IRC Issues

#climbformemory

Post by c0br42 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:08 pm
([msg=77487]see #climbformemory[/msg])

Hello everyone,

How would you say your memory is? Do you read books and forget most of what you read shortly after?; do you meet people later to find that you can't recall their names (leading to sometimes embarrassing and awkward situations)?; do you think it's a miracle if you can even memorize and retain 20 numbers in 5 minutes? do you even remember the day of the week your last birthday was on, let alone what you had for breakfast yesterday?

I'm cobra2, my record for memorizing numbers in 5 minutes is 296, memorizing a shuffled deck of playing cards is 36 seconds, names and faces my record is 152 in 15 minutes (first and last name), among many other things i memorize. well you might wonder if i have a photographic memory or something, after all my records supersede those earned by daniel tammet, the famous prodigious savant who supposedly has synesthesia.

i do not have a photographic memory or synesthesia, i have simply learned how to unlock my brains infinite potential for memorizing and retaining information, and i will help you unlock your brain power too! most people use a very limited percentage of their brain, and more often than not, they are mostly using one side of their brain (usually the left side); however, i will show you how use your whole brain.

come join me on #climbformemory
Image
User avatar
c0br42
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:59 pm
Location: /home/c0br42
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: #climbformemory

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:48 pm
([msg=77488]see Re: #climbformemory[/msg])

c0br42 wrote:i have simply learned how to unlock my brains infinite potential for memorizing and retaining information


I will argue that for the potential for infinite memorization would require infinite energy. I will also argue that many flaws are in the brains system which will not allow you to retain all the information you like; at least without encountering one of the following:
Memory Transience, Absent-Mindedness, blocking, misattribution, suggestibility, bias, or persistence.

The brain can not take in all information it processes. and if it did you are looking at serious possibility of neurological damage or worse. As an example look at the reasoning why race-car drivers need cooling helmets when racing, it's not just to be cool looking.

When you look over things you have already seen over and over, eventually your brain begins to skip over the small details; meaning that while you think you know exactly what something looks like, you could be wrong.

I would suggest reading the book: The Seven Sins of Memory, you might like it.

Overall though, I like the idea; but I left the hackthissite IRC, at least for a while.
Last edited by -Ninjex- on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: #climbformemory

Post by c0br42 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:32 pm
([msg=77489]see Re: #climbformemory[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:
c0br42 wrote:i have simply learned how to unlock my brains infinite potential for memorizing and retaining information


I will argue that for the potential for infinite memorization would require infinite energy. I will also argue that many flaws are in the brains system which will not allow you to retain all the information you like; at least without encountering one of the following:
Memory Transience, Absent-Mindedness, blocking, misattribution, suggestibility, bias, or persistence.


hey thanks for your response, i guess we all die eventually so there's our limitations of memory lol. But when you do decide to come back to IRC check out my channel and i'll share more information with you, you will find my claims about infinite memory (or at least in the sense of remembering whatever you want for however long you want with 100% accuracy up until the point of death) are completely true. the only thing which may not be entirely true is the science behind it because nobody really understands the brain all that well. i do feel that i have unlocked a much greater percentage of my brainpower though, and also that there might be some whole brain thinking going on (i have evidence of this in the form of fmri results).

sometimes i do forget a card or maybe a number, but this is when we are talking about 52 or more cards and hundreds of numbers! with review however (which can be done mentally) the memories can be made permanent and accurate until death.

-- Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:37 pm --

-Ninjex- wrote:I would suggest reading the book: The Seven Sins of Memory, you might like it.

and i will check out this book! you might also like dominic o'brien's "you can have an amazing memory" too.
Image
User avatar
c0br42
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:59 pm
Location: /home/c0br42
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: #climbformemory

Post by pretentious on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:28 pm
([msg=77491]see Re: #climbformemory[/msg])

c0br42 wrote:i do not have a photographic memory or synesthesia, i have simply learned how to unlock my brains infinite potential for memorizing and retaining information, and i will help you unlock your brain power too! most people use a very limited percentage of their brain, and more often than not, they are mostly using one side of their brain (usually the left side); however, i will show you how use your whole brain.

I figure I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have had a keen interest in psychology for a while and one thing wich keeps popping in is the extent of the brains limitations. Most biases and other perceived weaknesses in people are actually the brain taking innocent shortcuts because it can only process a fraction of the information given to it. Also I can't back this up with evidence but i'm pretty sure the 'we only use 10% of our brain' is a load of crap. As for the use of the left hemisphere, from what i can recall, the left side of the brain is responsible for clasification and catigorising, mathematics and what not. the hippocampus is what is mainly responsible for memory, which as a I correctly guessed befor checking out the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocampus is in the left hemisphere. The right hemisphere doesn't perform the same tasks so it's not like we are aren't utilizing the brains full potential.
I don't mean to shoot you down and I would be interested in checking out the channel, It's just that your post had all the signs of a salesman trying to sell me bullshit and alarm bells went off :P
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
User avatar
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: #climbformemory

Post by c0br42 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:00 pm
([msg=77492]see Re: #climbformemory[/msg])

pretentious wrote:I figure I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have had a keen interest in psychology for a while and one thing wich keeps popping in is the extent of the brains limitations. Most biases and other perceived weaknesses in people are actually the brain taking innocent shortcuts because it can only process a fraction of the information given to it. Also I can't back this up with evidence but i'm pretty sure the 'we only use 10% of our brain' is a load of crap. As for the use of the left hemisphere, from what i can recall, the left side of the brain is responsible for clasification and catigorising, mathematics and what not. the hippocampus is what is mainly responsible for memory, which as a I correctly guessed befor checking out the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocampus is in the left hemisphere. The right hemisphere doesn't perform the same tasks so it's not like we are aren't utilizing the brains full potential.
I don't mean to shoot you down and I would be interested in checking out the channel, It's just that your post had all the signs of a salesman trying to sell me bullshit and alarm bells went off :P


Hi pretentious, all 2 cents is welcome!

Well, I should have clarified what I meant by the whole 10% thing, I myself like to study neurology because the brain is remarkable in the things that it can do, but what i mean by most people only using 10% of their brain is that the brain is severely underactivated. It has been proven that we actually use our whole brain, but not all at the same time.

the brains ability to do things actually boils down the the particular neural circuits you are using. when somebody is memorizing things like i do, they are actually engaging both hippocampus regions and can be seen during the fMRI in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNRMCc70kzw

In that video Ron White a former US memory champion is being tested on Stan Lee's superhumans, Ron is using the same exact techniques I use and I actually plan on using these techniques better than him in future memory competitions. The thing you should take away from it is the much greater brain activation on both sides of the brain during his memorizations when compared to a normal person trying to memorize the same information.

as for what I'm selling lol, yeah it might sound a bit out there but it's free. you should try it, and if you don't think the process is worth your time then you can simply quit. While it may take a lot of practice to get to my level, you should certainly notice the improvement of your memory right away even as you first begin applying the basic strategies behind the system.

The art of memorization was developed thousands of years ago in Greece, and public speakers would use these techniques to memorize their speeches, poets would memorize poems, etc. Before the press was developed and books became a common commodity, people such as Marcus Tullius Cicero (3 January 106 BCE – 7 December 43 BCE) would memorize many written texts (what equated to books back then). Since the press was developed however, and books became wide spread commodities, most of the knowledge we would find ourselves needing to remember became externalized... today if we want to remember a shopping list or phone number, most people simply write it down or store it in their computers, phones, or maybe even on the Internet. As a result most people have forgotten how to memorize effectively.

Well it would be good to have you on the channel and I'd be happy to share more information with you :)
Image
User avatar
c0br42
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:59 pm
Location: /home/c0br42
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: #climbformemory

Post by black_sun on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:11 pm
([msg=77493]see Re: #climbformemory[/msg])

I think human brain is amazing. I want to look at it over the weekend, because I haven’t time now. I think it would be great if my teachers at school remember faces and names. They have remember around 200 faces and names (but it is a lot). I think the brain is as source code, because I'm sometimes thinking as a source code. For example, in math...equations... x=1, if blah blah blah...It's the same.
Never be afraid to say what you really feel.
User avatar
black_sun
New User
New User
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:05 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: #climbformemory

Post by Shade_of_Gray on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:16 pm
([msg=77497]see Re: #climbformemory[/msg])

Mind palaces? #sherlockreference
Shade_of_Gray
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: #climbformemory

Post by c0br42 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:28 am
([msg=77498]see Re: #climbformemory[/msg])

Shade_of_Gray wrote:Mind palaces? #sherlockreference


yes, the memory palace is one of the most essential tools in the mnemonists toolkit.
Image
User avatar
c0br42
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:59 pm
Location: /home/c0br42
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: #climbformemory

Post by Goatboy on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:08 pm
([msg=77501]see Re: #climbformemory[/msg])

The mind palace has always been an interesting concept to me, but every time I try to use it I feel ridiculous. I'll use a place I no longer live in, like my first house (which I remember very well) and start "depositing" memories there. But there isn't really anything to attach a certain fact to a room; the idea of leaving memories all over the place just seems like forced photographic memory.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: #climbformemory

Post by c0br42 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:47 pm
([msg=77515]see Re: #climbformemory[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:The mind palace has always been an interesting concept to me, but every time I try to use it I feel ridiculous. I'll use a place I no longer live in, like my first house (which I remember very well) and start "depositing" memories there. But there isn't really anything to attach a certain fact to a room; the idea of leaving memories all over the place just seems like forced photographic memory.


Despite the popular belief, genuine photographic memory is actually a myth; many people claim it, yet cannot bring themselves to prove it to scientist. You shouldn't feel that ridiculous using a memory palace, I find them to be rather fun ways to memorize information, it's a lot more fun than just memorizing the numbers in their natural boring disposition.

Personally I have 140 memory palaces each with 52 stages, I can typically store 4-6 digits at each stage... if you do the math, that is a lot of numbers, and nothing about developing this kind of capacity seems ridiculous to me. Come join the channel, and I can make sure you're implementing the techniques properly, I have a feeling you will somewhat the methods after you start putting them into regular practice :)
Image
User avatar
c0br42
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:59 pm
Location: /home/c0br42
Blog: View Blog (0)



Return to IRC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests