Another ? about beginner stuff. Don't read it'll save time

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Another ? about beginner stuff. Don't read it'll save time

Post by Irish Clov3r on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:48 am
([msg=73387]see Another ? about beginner stuff. Don't read it'll save time[/msg])

I've read through almost all the forums, articles, and more about where I should begin about learning this stuff. Most of the time people say begin with HTML(Hyper text markup language) this is exactly what I've been doing. I'm learning from codeacademy.com. After learning HTML people say CSS for the other parts of webpages and lastly java script for the client sided scripting. All of those have to do web development. Which is great. I'm fine learning all of it. I'm just wondering if i shouldn't be learning about what a Dns is, computer Networking, Servers, and etc. Isn't the basic parts of computers important don't they all play a key role? I know you guys get these questions a lot and most of you won't even see this because it's in Nzone. I apologize for posting this believe me i wouldn't have because i know the stereotype that comes along with it and inconvenience it has on many of you. It's just I'm looking at everything wondering if I'm messing up or whether or not what I'm reading is relevant or will even help me.
Irish Clov3r
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another ? about beginner stuff. Don't read it'll save time

Post by 1njustice on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:00 am
([msg=73389]see Re: Another ? about beginner stuff. Don't read it'll save time[/msg])

I'll be keeping an eye on this, similar queries myself :p
Last updated: 01/02/2013: 14:49

Code: Select all
Challenges
Basic missions: 1 - 11 complete
1njustice
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:14 pm
([msg=73398]see Re: Another ? about beginner stuff. Don't read it'll save time[/msg])

Irish Clov3r wrote:I've read through almost all the forums, articles, and more about where I should begin about learning this stuff. Most of the time people say begin with HTML(Hyper text markup language) this is exactly what I've been doing. I'm learning from codeacademy.com. After learning HTML people say CSS for the other parts of webpages and lastly java script for the client sided scripting. All of those have to do web development. Which is great. I'm fine learning all of it. I'm just wondering if i shouldn't be learning about what a Dns is, computer Networking, Servers, and etc. Isn't the basic parts of computers important don't they all play a key role? I know you guys get these questions a lot and most of you won't even see this because it's in Nzone. I apologize for posting this believe me i wouldn't have because i know the stereotype that comes along with it and inconvenience it has on many of you. It's just I'm looking at everything wondering if I'm messing up or whether or not what I'm reading is relevant or will even help me.

It's easier to learn something when you already know how it works internally, if that makes any sense. For instance, if you learn about nuts, bolts, different tools, properties of motion, how different chemicals react to each other in a combustive state, and welding, understanding how a car works is much easier. While you could always learn how the engine works from a higher level than that, you'll still lack some critical knowledge and ability that you would have achieved had you gone through it step-by-step. In fact, you'd be a pretty shitty mechanic if you didn't know how a socket-wrench worked. And the only way to get past the level of basic mechanics, is to actually learn them. Just like anything else, your knowledge is built upon existing knowledge. If you're missing that part of that basic knowledge, then the rest of what you know will suffer. For instance, if you skip learning HTML and jump straight to Javascript, then your ability to read and write Javascript will be poor at best, as Javascript is usually written somewhere in the HTML itself. Not only that, but HTML teaches basic programming skills that you'll miss out on. With a poor Javascript knowledge, PHP will be a struggle as you'll lack understanding of the client/server relationship that basic Javascript will teach you. This process goes on infinitely.

Not only that, but these skills extend to other parts of computers as well; it's difficult to truly know how a server works, if you can't write one, let alone write code for one. It's difficult to truly know how networking works if you don't know how a basic server/client relationship works, etc, etc. Even more important and specified for the hacking field alone, is that many mistakes made on computers, that cause and allow for exploits are made through code. A shitty programmer can do a hell of a lot more damage than a shitty network admin can. The way to actually understand how said code/exploits work, you ask? To be able to program. And if you don't have a basic grasp on something as easy as HTML/CSS/Javascript, C/D/C++/C--/NASM will be even more of a struggle for you.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by mShred on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:09 pm
([msg=73409]see Re: Another ? about beginner stuff. Don't read it'll save time[/msg])

It isn't that one thing or another is more important than the other. They're just all different. If you want to be the know-it-all on websites, then HTML, JS, CSS, PHP and all that is good for you. If you want to be the source of knowledge on networking, then DNS, HTTP, protocols and all that will be good for you. If you want to be a G, you'll have a solid understanding of a lot of different topics.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to NZone