Greetings from a total n00b

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Greetings from a total n00b

Post by hemlock on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:02 am
([msg=71765]see Greetings from a total n00b[/msg])

I'm new at hacking/penetration testing.

I was wondering if I could get pointed in the right direction on some books/tutorials/websites to check out. I want to learn a programming language and start working in Linux. I eventually would like to be able to operate software like Metasploit. I'd love to be knowledgeable enough to use everything on the PwnPhone.

Christmas is around the corner and I was going to start with a book and installing Linux (recommendations on install version?) on my old computer.

Thanks!
hemlock
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Greetings from a total n00b

Post by Cerebral Bore on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 am
([msg=71767]see Re: Greetings from a total n00b[/msg])

Dont know what version of GNU~Linux you are looking for but my self for desktop use it tend to like this one.

cinnamon ~ linux mint
And a link to some pdfs to help you on your way.
introduction-to-hacking
Mint is nice too, their close to what windows xp is like GUI wise and that's probably why i like em.
Their all so live boot so their useful for fixing broken computers as long as you still have a working DVD-rom drive on the computer in question everything works including but not limited to high speed internet with a web browser.
The default firewall still blows though imho.
Rescue cds are a pile of suck.
Nothing fixes problems faster then a format the pile with "kill-disk" or something like it.

Ps password part sucks in cinnamon ~ linux mint,i know its good for security and all but it still blows.
If and when the os is installed if password popup crap is pissing you off too just replace your user name when logging in with "root" + your admin password for your old admin account and problem solved.
That will give you super user privileges "just like windows" but you know it weakens the Os defenses as well.
Theirs got to be a better way to go about that,cus they way its setup on the Pw topic id have to enter in the PW like 200 times a day the way i use a computer. :evil:

Remember knowledge isn't Evil but how you chose to use it can be.....beware of the dark-side :lol:
Cerebral Bore
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:12 pm
([msg=71769]see Re: Greetings from a total n00b[/msg])

Get yourself a copy of Hacking: The Art of Exploitation (2nd Ed.). This book is to hacking as K&R is to learning C Programming. With that said, you might as well grab K&R (2nd Ed.) as well.

Those two books will get you off if you really are meant to be a hacker.

If you find C a bit intimidating and want to learn it after you get a grip on general programming constructs, then I'd suggest Python. There are many books for learning that including "Learning Python" by Oreilly, and numerous other free online books/tutorials such as "Learn Python The Hard Way."

As for learning linux. From personal experience, the best way to learn linux is to install it as your main operating system, that way you HAVE to force yourself to learn linux in depth. My go to distro is Arch Linux however their install process just got even trickier than it used to be. This is still the best option if you are dedicated in learning linux and if you pull it off (you will with enough effort and time) you will learn A LOT. Otherwise Ubuntuis your best option. You will still learn a good amount about linux but not as much as going with Arch.

Lastly, if you find yourself ever stuck I highly suggest first going to the appropriate documentation, either the Arch Wiki or the Ubuntu Documentation. If after reading these thoroughly you still have trouble, then join their respective IRC channels and ask intelligent questions that show you've done research.

Cheers,
fas

PS. Feel free to update this thread with concerns, questions, and general progress.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Cerebral Bore on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:28 am
([msg=71771]see Re: Greetings from a total n00b[/msg])

yaaa everyone a critic when it comes to the best version of GNU-linux ;)
Cerebral Bore
New User
New User

Return to NZone