A couple of questions and thoughts.

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

A couple of questions and thoughts.

Post by Seung on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:37 pm
([msg=71586]see A couple of questions and thoughts.[/msg])

Hi everyone, while looking up the wikipedia page of w3schools, I came across a site called w3fools, a site aimed at criticizing w3schools for apparently having inaccurate information regarding web-coding. Is there any reason to distrust the validity of w3schools in your opinion?

Also, how many of you have learned web coding primarily through online resources? If you haven't, what free resources would you recommend? I don't have any problem shelling out a few dollars to learn web languages but I dont want to spend money if I don't have to.

And, while reading through the hosting article on w3schools,it was interesting to learn that your browser sends a request to a web server in order to display webpages. Now that is a two way thing, the public server responds to your request and "answers" it. So with that in mind, do hacks occur when you send an unauthorized request? I was looking up different types of hacks and "sql injections" seem to follow along what I have said. So do all hacks follow this model if you will?

I would appreciate any comments. Thank you!
Seung
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A couple of questions and thoughts.

Post by WallShadow on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:48 pm
([msg=71587]see Re: A couple of questions and thoughts.[/msg])

Seung wrote:Hi everyone, while looking up the wikipedia page of w3schools, I came across a site called w3fools, a site aimed at criticizing w3schools for apparently having inaccurate information regarding web-coding. Is there any reason to distrust the validity of w3schools in your opinion?

Also, how many of you have learned web coding primarily through online resources? If you haven't, what free resources would you recommend? I don't have any problem shelling out a few dollars to learn web languages but I dont want to spend money if I don't have to.

And, while reading through the hosting article on w3schools,it was interesting to learn that your browser sends a request to a web server in order to display webpages. Now that is a two way thing, the public server responds to your request and "answers" it. So with that in mind, do hacks occur when you send an unauthorized request? I was looking up different types of hacks and "sql injections" seem to follow along what I have said. So do all hacks follow this model if you will?

I would appreciate any comments. Thank you!

W3schools has many problems with it. The W3 consortium is an official, non-profit organization that sets standards of web page design. W3schools is a group which aims to exploit the W3's importance and position for money. If you look at the google ranks, w3schools comes before w3.org which is what w3schools wants. They teach the very basics of several languages and make themselves out to be the authorities on it. They offer 100$ 'certificates' that prove nothing but that you memorized some 20 facts about a language that has thousands of key components and ideas in it. They actually have inaccuracies about many things and are really slow to fix it. They even generate tons of money from ads, now go to w3.org, do you see any ads? That marks the difference between a non-profit and a profit organization. Whether it's good or bad is up to you.

As for the second question, I learned much of my web programming from various online tutorials. w3schools is a good source to learn from if you know nothing about a language, otherwise, it is terrible. In most cases, you really shouldn't spend money on learning a language. There are plenty of free resources, including computer books in the forms of pdfs (just google "<name of book here> pdf") if you don't have the money to spend on a proper book.

Third question, please slow down with this, you are confusing many, many things together that are separate entities. Yes, your browser does request a page from a server, and the server responds with a copy of the page. You want to look into web protocols for that, specifically HTTP. Look up how to send HTTP requests and see what you get. Now an SQLi has NOTHING, again, NOTHING to do with these requests, it's just a specially crafted string sent to a server in one of those requests, which the server handles incorrectly and unsafely.

- WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A couple of questions and thoughts.

Post by mShred on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:38 pm
([msg=71595]see Re: A couple of questions and thoughts.[/msg])

w3schools IS a good resource. I'm telling you that with a huge history of argument behind my back. Yeah there are some things that aren't the best with w3schools. Reading up with w3schools won't kill you. It'll give you a lot of information and explains things pretty decently. Then once you actually start coding things, you can look up other references like tizag to get another set of eyes under your belt.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to NZone