Where to get started?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Where to get started?

Post by DogLoad on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 pm
([msg=68893]see Where to get started?[/msg])

Hey all :D

I want to get into programming/hacking/computerstuff. I have had some background with programming html and a little java. i have completed the basic missions up to 7. Now before i go further i wanted to know where exactly do i get started "learning" code. for example i am totally clueless in mission 7 and if it wasnt for finding the Java injection code on google i wouldnt of passed level 5. Are there certain books that i should read or websites? or wait till next semester in college and take some classes. Btw im a freshman that has no clue what he wants to do later in life. :oops:
DogLoad
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

get started!

Post by WallShadow on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 pm
([msg=68897]see get started![/msg])

Welcome to HTS DogLoad!

First thing's first, Java != JavaScript. Basic 4 and 5 used JavaScript injection. Not Java. Java is a compiled, multi-platform, multipurpose sand-boxy language, while JavaScript is a very versatile web scripting language used for many different user interface features in websites.

If you are new to programming and web hacking in general, head over to http://www.w3schools.com where you can study HTML and JavaScript a bit more in-depth, and then proceed to learning languages such as PHP, CSS, etc. But w3schools relates mostly to web programming, if you want to make programs to run on your computer and do fancy hacks of all sorts, you must learn the C programming language, or some similar programming language. If you want to specialize in Windows hacking, C really is the #1 way to go because people have invented how to do absolutely anything in C. Unfortunately I don't have a good site for C tutorials, may someone else please post one?

If you want to look for books on programming and hacking, look at the books forum, we have a wide variety of books listed there which we discussed and described.

And one of the most commonly repeated pieces of advice here is 'google is your friend' (or you can use the forums search function to get a much more narrow field of topics).

-WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Where to get started?

Post by wan26 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:28 pm
([msg=68899]see Re: Where to get started?[/msg])

Also http://www.codecademy.com is good it covers javascript and the basics of the web, aside from the courses, it's also good to just test out code to see what happens.

Getting a free hosting service and setting up a website is good too, so you can see how the directories are layed out, among other important things.

Combined with reading books on the languages, you should be ok. I like using books because the authors offer a wealth of info and tips ontop of just learning the material. Sometimes they throw a joke or two in there which is nice.
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User

Re: Where to get started?

Post by DogLoad on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:09 am
([msg=68909]see Re: Where to get started?[/msg])

Thanks for the information guys :). I didnt know the difference of JavaScript and Java. Oops. Yeah i have done what i think is some C language? C++ perhaps? i know i made some really simple programs from a book back when i was in highschool freshman year. Been a long time. I guess ill start googling things about programming language C.

btw i checked out both sites. w3 looks really good and helpful but the codeacademy site looks really easy and better to start with. :) thanks alot for both sites.
DogLoad
New User
New User

Return to NZone