Vivint Home Security hackable?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Vivint Home Security hackable?

Post by ProSpartanKiller on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:39 pm
([msg=68597]see Vivint Home Security hackable?[/msg])

Hello. I am new to hacking (not so much to hackthissite.org) and am getting to learn a little bit more about it as i go along. I am even going to be taking a class for it when i can.

I did not know where to put this, but, seeing as i am new to all of this, the NZone seemed to be the logical location to post it.

My main question is this: Is the Vivint Home Security device able to be cracked(hacked)? I have tried to research this myself, but have turned up empty.

I only ask this because i would like to know how it is done and if it is able to be protected by outsider.

If the main question's answer is yes, how can it be hacked and where can i learn to do it (via internet or books).
ProSpartanKiller
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Vivint Home Security hackable?

Post by centip3de on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:30 pm
([msg=68599]see Re: Vivint Home Security hackable?[/msg])

ProSpartanKiller wrote:Hello. I am new to hacking (not so much to hackthissite.org) and am getting to learn a little bit more about it as i go along. I am even going to be taking a class for it when i can.

I did not know where to put this, but, seeing as i am new to all of this, the NZone seemed to be the logical location to post it.

My main question is this: Is the Vivint Home Security device able to be cracked(hacked)? I have tried to research this myself, but have turned up empty.

I only ask this because i would like to know how it is done and if it is able to be protected by outsider.

If the main question's answer is yes, how can it be hacked and where can i learn to do it (via internet or books).

I've honestly never heard about this before, in fact when I Google'd for it, not much came up at all. But, I did end up finding their home page, and the only place I can see it being hacked into, without actually being in your house to do it, is through your phone. However, if someone did end up getting your phone, they could just unlock it anyway, without the need of hacking into it. Also, one other weak spot I noted was that the system is all wireless. This means that someone might be able to intercept the cell signals that were being sent/received and created a signal that appeared to be one from a cell tower, and send it to the receiver, thus possibly being able to disarm it from the outside (this is all contingent on the fact that they would have to have the correct hardware, and the correct knowledge)? But I really know nothing about intercepting and using cell signals, so, everything I said above should be taken with several large grains of salt.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by ProSpartanKiller on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:33 pm
([msg=68600]see Re: Vivint Home Security hackable?[/msg])

I answered my question! :P

I remembered that the guy mentioned that it uses Z-Wave technology for wireless. This lead me to google Z-Wave. After reading a little on Z-Waves and radio waves, i looked up on how to intercept Z-Waves. I found a short article on two researchers who were at DefCon who invented a device that sniffs (X10 Sniffer) (watches activities) on the Z-Waves, to gather information on when someone would be in the house or out of the house. More or less getting a day to day routine. They also invented a Z-Wave jammer (X10 Jammer) which will basically shut off the system, allowing entry without the knowledge of the system, which will therefor not send a notification to the police or the owners.

Links:
This is for the short article
More detailed article on the two researchers
X10 Technology Theory
ProSpartanKiller
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 pm
([msg=68601]see Re: Vivint Home Security hackable?[/msg])

Just read something similar to this. It was about Control 4 though. Not just security but it controls everything from the tv, stove, air, etc etc..... The guy who wrote it was actually a tech for the company. It's in the Spring 2012 edition of 2600. The article is called "Home Automation". Basically you can control just about everything in your house from your ipad or similar device. It's pretty interesting and gets you thinking. One of the things I found interesting though was that the actual software even when purchased, you aren't aloud to have the installer and it's not available to you. The tech has to install everything. There's actually some funny youtube videos of people fucking with people in their house. The whole point was that IF someone was able to hack into this or your device which controls this, the consequences would be endless and possibly even fatal.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by limdis on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:15 pm
([msg=68603]see Re: Vivint Home Security hackable?[/msg])

This is probably the most interesting thing I have read all day. My mind is spinning with the possibilities! I saw on reddit the other day a refrigerator that could access twitter. How hilarious would it be to hack someones refrigerator?!
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by WallShadow on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:32 pm
([msg=68607]see Re: Vivint Home Security hackable?[/msg])

limdis wrote:How hilarious would it be to hack someones refrigerator?!

Refrigerator? What are you going to do with his refrigerator? Rot his meat and freeze his coffee? I'd go for the microwave. Do you know what an egg does after 20 seconds in a microwave? My old microwave never worked properly after one exploded in it :(

In all seriousness, if everyone were to have a robot house-keeper in their home and an automated system that got hacked, that is Y2K for real.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 pm
([msg=68609]see Re: Vivint Home Security hackable?[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:What are you going to do with his refrigerator?

Force message alerts that say, "Go buy some milk bitch!" Or force an alarm that the temperature control was failing when it really wasn't. Or maybe subscribe to some hilarious twitter accounts so they can see those interesting updates. Let your imagination run with that for a min lol. But I wouldn't cause any harm. I like food too much to actually shut a refrigerator down.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to NZone