Introduce Yourself  Topic is solved

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Chazaq on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:55 pm
([msg=42801]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Greetings everyone. Just wanted to post a quick intro.
I'm 29...been messing around with computers since the good old Tandy TRS-80...haven't really done much of anything with PCs in recent years so starting from zero. A little HTML and some programming bits here & there. Just really want to learn all I can. I've gotten through the first few basic missions but that's it so far. Lots of reading & learning to do. Other than technology stuff I'm mainly into music and church...and yeah I know from reading that section of the forums that it has turned into quite the debate that I'm not interested in having. I don't push my beliefs on others and would prefer that same courtesy. But anything else anyone is curious about...just let me know. And some specific reading spots would be helpful...other than HTML what do you guys recommend? Also, I'd like to get a decent IRC client and just started messing around with Linux this week...any recommendations there? Thanks
Chazaq
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by TheMindRapist on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:22 pm
([msg=42802]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

IRC Clients: mIRC for Windows, irssi for Linux
You might find it easiest to start off with Ubuntu for a Linux distro.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vulpine on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:33 pm
([msg=42803]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Chazaq wrote:Greetings everyone. Just wanted to post a quick intro.
I'm 29...been messing around with computers since the good old Tandy TRS-80...haven't really done much of anything with PCs in recent years so starting from zero. A little HTML and some programming bits here & there. Just really want to learn all I can. I've gotten through the first few basic missions but that's it so far. Lots of reading & learning to do. Other than technology stuff I'm mainly into music and church...and yeah I know from reading that section of the forums that it has turned into quite the debate that I'm not interested in having. I don't push my beliefs on others and would prefer that same courtesy. But anything else anyone is curious about...just let me know. And some specific reading spots would be helpful...other than HTML what do you guys recommend? Also, I'd like to get a decent IRC client and just started messing around with Linux this week...any recommendations there? Thanks

W3Schools is a good place to start to refresh yourself on things like HTML and JScript. To be honest, I found everything that I needed either here on the site, or the first page of Google. If you get stuck on a particular mission, there are tons of good clues in the appropriate forum and thread.

IRC client... Some people say MIbbit, some say X-Chat, some say mIRC... Pick your poison, pretty much.

Ubuntu is probably the most forgiving flavor of Linux for beginners, so it's not a bad choice to start with. I've had favorable experiences with Fedora, RHEL and Knoppix (which is awesome on a bootable thumb drive, by the way). I'd recommend getting comfortable with the command line. This site has a nice side-by-side to help you out.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by Chazaq on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:30 pm
([msg=42842]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Thanks for the replies. I've had ubuntu for about a week now...although it feels like I'm just using a modified Windows....I have no idea how to get to the insides of it I guess....I really like the speed and everything though. Right now I just resized my partitions on my laptop to dual boot but I can see Windows slowly fading away...if not for a few games, it would probably already be gone. I suppose thats another reason I started with ubuntu....I've read that it recognizes hardware easily...I haven't had to do anything other than update Nvidia drivers. That was what worried me...everything I do is on a laptop and I've heard Linux can be quite picky about them. My desktop is only still functional for music storage and my router is in there for my connection. And being a guy who has only used windows for the last 20 years or so, I'm going to go out on a limb and expose my awkward noobness.....in Ubuntu the terminal is the command line correct? I know, probably a stupid question...gotta get back to reading.Later guys
having a bit of trouble installing xchat from command line...did it through the package manager in ubuntu but learned...well, not much.
Last edited by Chazaq on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chazaq
New User
New User

Post by Vulpine on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:41 pm
([msg=42844]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Chazaq wrote:in Ubuntu the terminal is the command line correct?

Correct.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by Sunshine922 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:12 pm
([msg=42888]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Well...I know not to use tutorials!
Besides, you don't learn anything that way.
Anyways...
High honors student..athlete...completely new to this site.
Oh..and hello!
Yep. I think that covers my intro for now.
Sunshine922
New User
New User

Post by CyberWulf on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:31 pm
([msg=42906]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

I go by the name CyberWulf. I'm 17 years of age, and am going into grade 12. I decided I wanted to become a Police Officer when i am able too. But i recently decided i want to become a Cyber Crime investigator. I grew up around computers and always was into wanting to create my own website and learn html. When i was 10ish i understood that html was a code to make website. I use to come on HTS tons of time when i was little. I use differnce names alot but i remember using the name DigitalWulf. Cybercrime interest me alot, And i plan on going to schooling for it. So My idea is this. To beat a "Hacker" is to become a "hacker". So i hope to become active and create many friends.

CyberWulf
Evony.com ss36
CyberWulf
New User
New User

Post by risa_ambivalent on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:47 pm
([msg=42910]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Hi. I'm Risa, cos that's what I chose for my username. I found this site a couple of weeks ago by searching something truly obscure. Unfortunately I can't remember what the search was, but I do remember being very surprised when this site popped up in the results.

Anyhow, I study digital media so this site is right in my line of interest.
risa_ambivalent
New User
New User

Post by Kr4m0llz27 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:47 pm
([msg=43004]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

..hi guyz im lloyd registered as 'kr4m0llz27' .. I realy want to know more about hacking... And im a newbie..hehe
Kr4m0llz27
New User
New User

Post by c79 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:30 am
([msg=43079]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

alryt let me start dis way .well i am a 1st year medical student from gh a wanna b hacker .i like to learn a lot though i know i am not as smart as people think i am,i am capable of learning anything i set my mind to and i am willing to go de extra mile
c79
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to NZone